IncenDio V3 shut off.....AW R123A cell reads .7V??

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I need some help explaining what happened in the following situation >>

I have an IncenDio V3, and used a new, freshly charged AW R123A cell (4.11V) right off the Pila IBC.
I wanted to see how long the V3 would stay lit on High, regarding until it dimmed and/or eventually shut off..

I held the V3 approx. 25 minutes (may have been 30-35 minutes. Was on the computer)
During this time, the high beam started dimming slightly. This continued with a steady beam, then slightly dimmer for the 25 or so minutes, until the light shut off. I have the XP-G R5 emitter version.
I removed the cell and took a reading which was .7V.
It has been a half hour, and the cell is now reading 3.21V

Can someone let me know what happened, and if the above is the normal operation of the light and/or cell.
I was under the impression that protected cells shut down when they reach a certain voltage. .7V seems pretty low, but I am unsure of the whole operation/shutdown concept.

Thanks.

Edit:
I put the R123A cell in the flashlight, reading 3.425V, but the 4 modes don't work. It lights up in 1 mode, which appears to be a dim high. I'll leave this cell out of the light for now, and not charge it, until I hear if what is happening is the norm or not.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have activated the protection circuit, this is not recommended.

This only occurs when the voltage of the cell reaches a point in which it is becoming dangerous.

Do not continue to use it. What charger do you have?

biker1

Enlightened
I have the Pila IBC.

Also, the specs for the IncenDio V3 say runtime on high with a R123A; 45 minutes, I think. I gotta check on that.
Considering the runtime should be more than 25-35 minutes on high, is there an issue with the V3 draw from the battery, or a battery issue?
I will try the same test with a different new AW R123 cell, and keep a closer watch on the clock a little later.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
I put in a new, freshly charged AW R123 cell (4.14v) into the V3.
I turned on the light, but the Modes are not working. It appears to be stuck on the Medium mode. I shut the light off.

Would the above events be indicative of a failure of some sort with the V3? Is there an issue with the driver and/or something else?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my protected cells kick in, the voltage will show very low like yours did. When I put it in the charger and the charge light comes on, meaning the protection circuit has closed back up, the battery will show low 3V like yours. Perhaps your battery recovered some from sitting and closed the circuit.

Not sure that's a correct explanation, but it's what I see happening.

biker1

Enlightened
When my protected cells kick in, the voltage will show very low like yours did. When I put it in the charger and the charge light comes on, meaning the protection circuit has closed back up, the battery will show low 3V like yours. Perhaps your battery recovered some from sitting and closed the circuit.

Not sure that's a correct explanation, but it's what I see happening.

Yes. I spoke with AW, and he confirmed that the R123A cell I have has a pcb that resets itself once the load is removed. The cell should read 0.00V, confirming the protection circuit activated. Since 2 minutes elapsed, between removal and testing, the battery recovered slightly to .7V
After 30 or so minutes at rest, the battery recovered to 3.45V. I then put it in the charger, and it charged to 4.11V.
My other R123A's charged to 4.05V & 4.06V, if I remember correctly (but that's another story :( )