Household Light Locations and Types - Comments and Recommendations

Hevy Lite

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at where and what kind of lights I could use around the house. Please add your comments and whatever lights you would recommend for each of the areas and types suggested. If you can think of more places for lights, name them. If you can think of more types of lights, name them.

This is too big to use the form for every type, however I wanted to see what everyone thinks of this system and what lights "They" would use for these applications. I am assuming all LED lights as these are what I would prefer.

It's OK to share your recommendations for your "Special" lights, but a Titanium Haiku XP-G should not be the only answer. I want one. I want it a lot. But many including myself may never actually buy one for all of these duties. Lets try to suggest the minimum quality light that best meets needs as well as our wishes, hopes and dreams.

Household Light Locations and Types
1)Bedroom
Tactical Light - Bump in the night light
General Purpose/Main power outage light
Bathroom Finder Light (Moonlight mode on some light) x 2
2)Kitchen
General Purpose/Secondary power outage light
3)His Car
General Purpose - All temperatures
4)Her Car
5)Shop
General Purpose/Multi-mode/Find the little thing on the floor light
6)His EDC
Multi-Mode Hi CRI
Alt. Tactical Light
7)Her EDC
Keychain Light - Hi CRI?

tolkaze

Enlightened
I can only suggest what I am currently using

1)Bedroom
-Lumapower VX Ultra. Bright, floody
Combination between Quark AA2 and Innova X5 at the moment... more light requires bigger lights like a Mag with LED dropin
-either a Quark AA2 or Novatac 120M to start on low
Bookreading
-ZL headlight
2)Kitchen
-Maglite with LED dropin, LED surefire 6p
-any other lights I have lying around
3)His Car
-Maglite beater with Malkoff dropin
-My EDC
4)Her Car
-Maglite beater with terralux TLE300m dropin
-Floody (diffused) 200lm DX light
5)Shop
-EDC only generally
6)His EDC
Multi-Mode Hi CRI
-none yet, but have a High CRI HDS Clicky somewhere in the system
Alt. Tactical Light
-HDS 170
7)Her EDC
Keychain Light - Hi CRI?
-Both of us carry an E01 and an itp a3

Many more lights around here, and each have their purpose, like the lights near the front and back doors, the emergency kit lights, the long life safety lights, rechargeable power outage lights....

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I suggest that you consider having a headlight for your "General Purpose/Secondary power outage light". It allows handsfree operation and you can use it for working under your car, etc. Also, a flashlight that can tailstand and you can attach a diffuser wand is also invaluable in a power outage. Alternatively, you can use one of the SureFire lights with the lantern attachment.........or just use a lantern :grin2:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
JAMESMTL514's Household Light Locations and Types
Bedroom
Ti SST-50 EDC with trit by the bedside.
Surefire A2L-red by the bedside
Surefire C2 with M61 by the beside
The rest of my collection in dresser
Kitchen
Mag 3D led
Office
Surefire G2 with M61LL & FM34
Front Door
Mag 6D
Shop
Surefire 6P
His Car
Surefire G2 with FYLW body
Her Car
N/A
His EDC
Ti SST-50 EDC
Surefire C2 w/M61
Her EDC
N/A

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Here's what I currently use, for what it's worth...

Kitchen/ bathroom run in the middle of the night, general nightstand light- Titan or Titan T1A, or Ra clicky set to come on lowest level first. My preference is the Titan family, only because of the low level it is capable of. Quark with moonlight mode is good, too.

Bump in the night light- I want bright, right now. Moddo triple in a 6P host recently, prior to that it was a P7 Mag which now lives next to my back yard sliding glass door.

Kitchen/ laundry room general purpose- Zebralight H501. handsfree floody task light that can clip anywhere or tailstand is great here so you can have both hands free without holding the light in your mouth, tucked under an arm, or held like a phone on your shoulder.

EDC- My Ra Clicky, Novatac, Haiku, Mac's EDC, Lunasol20, etc. Single cell CR123, multi mode, with a clip. Depends on the day, or night I'm going to be out.

Keychain- EO1, McGizmo Sapphire, Arc AAA, 4Sevens Preon... Any AAA that fits my current needs or can act as backup for the main EDC .

Car- SF G2 with a Malkoff Low flood drop in, 140ish lumens, floody, decent runtime, and durable.

The best thing is, we have so many good choices now in all price ranges for all these purposes. :grin2:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja's
1)Bedroom
I have a Mag 3C P7, but it is too unwieldy.
Quark Mini AA2/Quark AA2 Tactical(neutral version) (him) Fenix LD25(neutral)/Fenix L2T v2.0 (her) The 2AA lights are easier to hold for extended periods than 1 AA or 1 CR123A lights.
Preon 2 WARMS (clicky)/Quark Mini AA WARMS (twisty) low for finding the bathroom, medium when using it.

2)Kitchen
Any 2D flashlight with a Dorcy 3V LED drop in. You need a long runtime at a reasonable level of output say 30 lumens for extended power outages. Moonlight mode just does not cover it. Elektrolumens makes the Anglelux XP-G just for this.

3)Car
2AA flashlight with ENERGIZER L92 E2 lithium primaries. Anything smaller hard to find in glove box, anything bigger won't fit in glove box.
3)His Car
Quark Mini AA2/Quark AA2 Tactical(neutral version).
4)Her Car
Fenix LD25(neutral)/Fenix L2T v2.0.

5)Shop
Any 1AA/2AA/1CR12A LED light will do. The 2CR123A/18650 lights may be too bright.

6)His EDC
Multi-Mode Hi CRI
Quark Mini AA Neutral
Alt. Tactical Light
Elektrolumens EDC-MCE I have the older EDC-P7.
7)Her EDC
Keychain Light - Hi CRI?[/QUOTE]
Fenix E01/LD01/Preon Revo You can buy a Preon 2 Neutral and a Preon 1 and try to swap the heads. I did not have problems but a couple of other CPF members did. Umm - Quark Mini AA Neutral for her purse as well?

-

High CRI lights are few. I suggest going for neutral, sometimes called warm tint. Most are white without the blue of normal LEDs. The 4sevens WARMS series are the only ones I know that is as yellow as a 25W incandescent household bulb.

I find for most of my normal uses there is no need for an expensive light. A Dorcy 3V or 4.5-6V LED PR2 bulb $4 from Sears or Frys in a 2AA or 2D flashlight or 4D area lantern works as well as my $50 to $75 torches.
The exceptions:
Keychain - 1AAA,
Pocket EDC - 1AA,
Tactical - those 30-40 lumen bulbs are not bright enough.

Here is an old picture of the lights lying around in my apartment.
Top left: Bedroom - Fenix L1T v2.0, Civictor V1. Currently Preon 2 WARMS.
Top right: Desk - Elektrolumens Lucidus XR1. Currently no light.
Bottom left: Bathroom - NeXxtech 4AA light with LED upgrade. Dorcy now sells a 25 lumen version.
Bottom right: Kitchen - Ray-O-vac area/flashlight with LED upgrade.
HouseFlashlightssmall.jpg

I am still using the plastic lights in the bathroom and kitchen and another one next to my TV. The 4AA lights are very stable upside down doing a ceiling bounce.
If you follow the link in my signature you can see some of my other lights.

My keychain lights. Millermodded Arc AAA and UK 2AAA eLED. I also EDC a Quark Mini AA in my front pocket and sometimes a Quark Mini 2AA in my back pocket
Keychain-lights-2010.jpg

shark_za

Enlightened
I'll play along...

Recently.

1)Bedroom

Tactical --> Surefire C2Defender hybrid (C2 with D bezel and Z59)- Lumens Factory R2 Neutral Drop In. Glock GTL-10 on G23 as backup.
GP --> 4Sevens 18650 R5. Regular XP-G 123^2 with 18650 body.
High Output --> Solarforce L2X EXT dual extended body (2x18650) with S5 switch, Lumens Factory P7 turbohead on C-M converter.

2)Kitchen

Romisen RC-D6 magnet base on the fridge
Maglite 4D Led hanging near the door - Maglite 3xAA the same.
These lights are just to get to the higher runtime ones upstairs.
Power outage is sometimes a Lumens Factory Seraph with 18650 tail standing and a 3-mode LED. Also used a 47's Qmini AA WW during the last power out.

3)His Car

Solarforce L2r single mode drop in. L91's

4)Her Car

Romisen RC-N3 - L91's

5)Shop

EDC or Maglite with Nite Ize II inside the toolbox.

6)His EDC

Recently, 4Sevens Preon Ti with LGX200 (Fenix L1Tv2) in the pocket.
Sometimes Solarforce R2, flat bezel with guts from S6 inside the S1 on an 18650.
Sometimes iTP SA1 with 14500.

7)Her EDC

iTP A3 red

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
1)Bedroom
I have most of my lights here, I typically have a modded 2AAA incan direct driving on 2 nimh a cree 5mm LED that runs forever ceiling bounce I sometimes fall asleep by. The bathroom has a modded 4AA LED taplight in it so I don't need a light but have a modded black and decker 2AAA swivel light I use with a red 5mm/white 5mm/half watt LED.

2)Kitchen
LED taplight on top of the fridge, fridge door lit by a screw in 3x5mm LED nightlight bulb I leave on 24/7
3)His Car
I have 4 lights here
3AAA craftsman luxeon
4AA energizer doublebrite with L91s
3AAA cheap 3x5mm LED headlamp magnetic mount
3AA taskforce luxeon plastic.
Since most of these lights are cheap I use alkalines and check occasionally until I can catch a sale on L92 lithiums.
4)Her Car
I'm single, N/A
5)Shop
I have an old 4D adapter in a 6v incan lantern till the batteries die
and a 3AA taskforce luxeon
6)His EDC
fenix LD01SS with a duraloop
Uk2AAA incan modded direct driving a 5mm LED with L92s
7)Her EDC
N/A again

Note: I typically use the following lights around the house:
I have a 3AA black and decker cree magnetic clamp light on a metal cabinet in the living room as a quick go to blast of light.
I use a 1AA rayovac lux headlamp when I do laundry sometimes in/out of the garage.
I use a streamlight luxeon jr 2AA when I take a late walk at night.
black and decker 2AAA is by my computer I use the 5mm LEDs often to walk around the house at night as we have constant weird noises outside (busy street near shopping malls).
Maybe one day I will have fancier lights but these all work very well for now.