A reason for Strobe

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im in a borrowed truck, mine is in the shop. *The headlights on this truck are the headlight equivalent of a solitaire. *
I was approaching the end of my run, bit over 600 miles that evening/night. *Cruising 70 mph close to 20 miles from my destination. * Saw a truck with his flashers on sitting on the shoulder in the distance. * So I moved over into the second lane. *As I got closer things didn't look right. *The tail of his trailer was in the first lane. * *Alot started happening at this time. *There was another semi in the fast lane, and a car coming up on my right. *The semi driver was standing by his trailer waving traffic over with a pretty dim flashlight. * That's when I saw the mangled car blocking the center lane and a bit of the fast lane. * Not a light on. *Hit my brakes and went around what was a recent accident. * Called 911, but they were already in route. Other cars had stopped to assist already so i kept rolling. *

Of course hindsight and all that. *But strobe to catch oncoming traffics attention sooner, along with a second light to illuminate the car would have been helpful. *Likely an option I didn't really care about before that will be on one of my edc lights in the future. *

And better headlights. *

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why that typed up with all those asterisks.....

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a 3xAA mini lantern in the car that has a strobe function for that very reason. There's no need to stand near the road and put yourself in danger. Just set it to strobe, put it in place and move to a safe distance.

It strobes about twice a second so you're not going to confuse it for a bike light or anything like that, and it puts out well over 100 lumens and will shed light in the near area to let people see there is danger.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those pucks are pretty slick. I carry both flares and triangles in my truck. May add a couple of those too. Thanks for showing those.

soli

Newly Enlightened
Those pucks are pretty slick. I carry both flares and triangles in my truck. May add a couple of those too. Thanks for showing those.

You're welcome :) Only downside is they appear to be a bit pricey at approx $50 each but they do seem to get CPF approval from what I can see.

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting product. Would be perfect in the car. How long does it run on a CR123? Can it take rechargeable 3.7V?

soli

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting product. Would be perfect in the car. How long does it run on a CR123? Can it take rechargeable 3.7V?

According to the brochure:

Upto 150 hrs (non rechargeable model) or 100 hrs (on the rechargeable) with the slow blink setting. Going as low as 8hrs / 3hrs with solid on.

By the sounds of it the user replaceable model won't take an RCR123 and I'm not sure if the rechargeable version lets you swap out the installed RCR123's