DIY MOD help

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
Well i have 3 mini flashlight that i want to upgrade. They are really cheap (reason is i got them on ebay) This is my first mod/upgrade with any flashlight, so i was wondering if anyone could help me out by telling me what emitter and driver i should use. (it would help me out alot if the items could be bought at dealextreme.com):eek:

Specs of the flashlight:
its 9.5 cm long.
the driver and emmiter is 1.5 cm.
It uses 1 AA battery

Thanks ALOT!

Mettee

Enlightened
There are a few options, help out a little with what type of outcome you would like when you are done.

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
well i would like a brighter flashlight....right now the flashlights are about less than 10 lumens, from what i read online. It is not bright at all. I would like anything really that would just make it brighter. Preferably over 100 lumens (if thats even possible)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Match an emitter and driver that fit. Thermally connect the led and emitter to the host. Maybe replace the optic and it's a good start.

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
I dont know why my other posts were deleted but okay.....
I ordered the necessary emitter and driver, now i have a question about the heatsink. I was wondering, do you think this would work?
Its copper tubing, with a penny i shaped, then i solder and then i smoothed the top.
heatsinkmaybe.jpg

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know why my other posts were deleted but okay.....
I ordered the necessary emitter and driver, now i have a question about the heatsink. I was wondering, do you think this would work?
Its copper tubing, with a penny i shaped, then i solder and then i smoothed the top.
heatsinkmaybe.jpg

Thats actually not bad at all. If you can get that to fit snugly into the light body to transfer the heat it will be great.

What emitter and driver did you get? What are you planning to use to secure the emitter to the sink with?

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
...forgot to answer your questions....im going to put thermal paste on the emitter to the homemade heatsink and glue the driver to the bottom (if that is even possible with out destroying the driver)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok looks like your off to a decent start.

I am guessing you chose the P4 emitter because of the small 13mm base, this will give a good jump in lumens from your factory 10. Using that driver at only 300ma I am not sure you will see 100 otf from it though.

I realize you have already ordered you parts, but somthing you may want to try later is this.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-176/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail

I have used this driver in a 1 AA light and it seems to be fairly good. I dont know that it actually puts out quite 900ma on high, but for a 1AA driver I like it. The 3 modes is good too.

As for the heat sink the best way I know to just the size is with copper tape. I use it all the time and it works great. Just wrap a few rounds over the sink until it fits tight in the body of the light and you are done.

Thermal paste is good for the emitter if you have the reflector or something pressing against it to hold it down. If not thermal epoxy is better. Either way use a thin layer.

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
That seems like a better idea, but then again, i didnt really know what i was looking for. I might try that next time. My next project is a streamlight stinger housing. This is a really thinker considering i need some sort of 'pill' (i think thats what its called). And i need to find out how to wire it so i can use the two screws for charging the batteries? really confusing when i explain it tho:confused:

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
i would like a multi mode, but no more than 5 modes.... and i do have the 3 cell battery (25170).

johnpsmith

Newly Enlightened
I needed dealextreme just for this time, because i had some store credit. My next purchase will be definitely from the site you suggested.