any interest in an Arc AAA penlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
I bought my 1st Arc AAA when they went on sale last month and it has become my favorite light. This is such a well designed product, it's easy to see why it has such a loyal following.

Now then, I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a penlight version of the AAA. I'm envisioning a 2 cell (10 hour run time) light with a click "on/off" switch at the end. This could be carried in a shirt pocket for easy access and the push button switch would provide one hand operation. I know that Streamlight has the Stylus, but this uses hard to find AAAA batteries and is significantly longer than the proposed 2-cell Arc. Also, you just can't beat the quality of an Arc. Anyway, I've always found a penlight style of light to be a very functional and useful tool and would love to see one from Arc.

-jim

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would buy at least one. Numerous medical types that I have had the previlege to know over 30 years would likely buy 2 each.

This topic has been discussed many months ago. Peter Gransee actually made a prototype and shelved it. I thought the product had great potential. I still think that it would market well.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea, and I think I like it!

I believe you are suggesting running two batteries in parallel, but in a fashion that would appear to be series. I have never seen this done before, or even considered it, but it's not a bad idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or even run on one cell but have a lengthed body and the end cap clickie? Make production easier? Just have to make a body and switch.

paulr

Flashaholic
The penlight form factor has its attractions. I don't think the 10 hour runtime is a big attraction. I'd actually prefer a one-cell light with a spare cell holder, than a light that uses both cells at once.

It might be possible to put a UKE 2AAA eLED bezel onto UKE's 2aaa incandescent penlight body.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The penlight form factor has its attractions. I don't think the 10 hour runtime is a big attraction. I'd actually prefer a one-cell light with a spare cell holder, than a light that uses both cells at once.

Paulr, as long as the space is available, what would the advantage be of not using the 2nd battery? Thanks for the comments.
-jim

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
OoOh...i would really like a penlight "function". I agree that it should stay in a one-cell format (AA or AAA).

I'd like to get several of these for my mom and her nurse friends. The Arc AAA is a perfect light for check-ups, but with all the things that nurses have to hold and handle, a clickie switch would be really REALLY nice, not just for them...but for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ahhh...just another excuse to buy an Arc.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Peter has looked into a 2AAA light, but decided to put it on the back-burner for now...
Here is a pic of the prototype he used:
2aaaproto.jpg

Arc 2AAA?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
now if that picture isn't irony i don't know what is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
i remember doing that myself, but was always scared i would loose it, so put it back to it's origional configuration.

didn't cnc dan or dspeck make some elongaged arc bodys a while ago? eith either a plug or an arc head on each end?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Hmmm, is there a problem with that last post, or did I have one too many?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

are you referring to my post?

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
What about a 1AAA penlight? Preferably with a split ring through the switch (think I saw one of those in a thread here) so you can still carry it on a key ring.

Sharp

Enlightened
Why getting a longer ARC? ARC AAA is excellent. What would the two-cell configuration add? Runtime? Can't you just carry with you a spare battery and keep the ARC small? I wouldn't buy an ARC Penlight...

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Hmmm, is there a problem with that last post, or did I have one too many?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you just "lost it". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't remember, can the Arc AAA head accept 3 volts? If it does why not just offer different battery configurations and the head separately like the LS series. Arc 2AAA, 1D, 2AA and such. If not, well... never mind.

paulr

Flashaholic
Sharp, you ask why someone might like the Arc AAA to be longer. The answer, do you have an ordinary pen in your pocket? It's about 2x as long as the Arc AAA. Would you like the pen better if it were as small as the Arc AAA? Pens are just a handy size and they still fit in your pocket pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.