Cook something with a flashlight

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
I was watching videos of people cooking eggs using flashlights and got the idea to make a thread about cooking things with flashlight (and specifically, making something to do just that).

This thread is intended for fun, not an actual build plan.

My first idea is to just use Arctic Alumina epoxy to glue 7 SSR-90s to the bottom of a small pan in a hexagonal and use them that way, along with a thermocouple or other temperature sensor to regulate the drive current and keep the LEDs at or below 120 degrees Celsius (I read that they're rated for 150 degrees max). If you're ambitious you can rig up a reflector unit that clips onto the bottom of the pan, and you have a nice light with a handle!

Considering the feasibility of LEDs as a heat source is fairly low, the best use for this would be keeping food warm. You could maybe use prisms to reflect light from the bottom to above for use as a table light.

Second idea is to use three incandescent bulbs and reflectors in a triangle setup for use as a stove or large handheld light. I know you have to switch out the plastic lens and reflector in a Maglite when you're doing a ROP mod, so this method should end up working better. Of course, you'd need a pot or pan with a dark bottom, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And this method allows the pot or pan to be used with other heating systems too!

Share your ideas of dual purpose cooking/lighting gear!

circa

Newly Enlightened
I would like a flashlight that will cook a steak within a reasonably amount of time.

shhh

Newly Enlightened
fluisa.jpg

Did somebody say steak?

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
A single 35W HID will provide 3000 lumens and several hundred degrees Fahrenheit in the area of/near the reflector.

It makes me wonder...has anyone ever actually tried cooking something with a homemade flashlight?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It makes me wonder...has anyone ever actually tried cooking something with a homemade flashlight?

Plenty of people have cooked an egg using Wicked Lasers' The Torch, which is fitting since it doesn't make a very good flashlight, but I'm not aware of anyone using an HID to cook, which is the most obviously simple way to do it.

I have on more than a few winter-night occasions turned off my Stanley HID after having run it for a few minutes and pointed the reflector at my face to stay warm, so I know when it's turned on it could certainly cook meat. Forty minutes of runtime/cooktime for $70, just don't set the heating surface on the rubber bezel.

Or if you're allowing for any light source, an HID safety/parking light assembly rigged to a marine battery would be unbeatable; 400 watts making 40,000 lumens makes for plenty of heat, and the bulbs are only a few dollars a piece..

Nokoff

Enlightened
I beg to differ with you (and most of CPF) on The Torch StarHalo..I can guarantee you this 14.4v 623 can run long enough to brown a hashbrown as well :crackup:
66787703e9a573ad98d480d6c47baa7dcfa5dbf.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I beg to differ with you (and most of CPF) on The Torch StarHalo..I can guarantee you this 14.4v 623 can run long enough to brown a hashbrown as well

I'm concurring that it cooks well, but its use as an actual flashlight, something that usefully provides light, is what's dubious.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
What kind of setup would be the easiest as dual use? (meaning, what light would function well as a cooking device with the least amount of work?)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
What kind of setup would be the easiest as dual use? (meaning, what light would function well as a cooking device with the least amount of work?)

Probably a homebrew HID that has a removable bezel/lens assembly, so you could just sit the light vertically and set your cooking surface very near or directly on the rim of the bare metal reflector.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Filament lights are the most INefficient light producers . . . because they turn most of the electricity into heat.

Get a 12 volt bulb and run it at 6 volts - so it still looks like a torch.

Why would you use a more efficient light - especially considering the cost of 7 SST90s ????