Looking for a EDC clip light

phobiarg

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I want to use AA batteries

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival). (military)

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Pocket/belt clip

phobiarg

Newly Enlightened
Leaning towards the Quark AA2 Tactical. I hear the Fenix diffusers fit on them so I can get my red light that way.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I recommed the Jetbeam RRT-0 it has 5 settings, you have the option to use extender to use a AA battery. The Surefire E series filters fit. Here is mine with the Nitecore D10 clip I modded to fit. The diffuser is an Arrowhead water bottle cap (free).

DSC03052.jpg

OCD

Enlightened
A Quark would be a good choice. The 2AA Turbo will give you the most throw but has a larger head that is not the best for edc. The RRT-0 is a great edc (I edc one daily) and does run on 1 AA with the extender, but to get the most light from it, it really needs to be run on lithiums (either a primary CR123 or rechargeable Li-ion RCR123 or 14500.)

phobiarg

Newly Enlightened
Ended up with the Quark AA2 Tactical, I watched a few videos about it and love the interface with the 2 setting memory mode. I couldn't justify the $100 for the jetfire when the Quark is $40 less.

JCK

Newly Enlightened
The quark AA2 is meant to be a very good light, and from the all the positive reviews I've read, I doubt thats not the case. You should snap some pics when it arrives.

The more I see the jetbeam rrt0 the more I want one, just looks like a really nice EDC light.