Was the lumapower Trust#1 a bust?

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Out of the recent lights released I was very interested in the lumapower trust. But i thought i would be safe and wait for some reviews and input from owners. Well their was never much mentioned about it. Maybe a couple of threads of which 1 I started.
Why didnt this light generate more interest? 350 emitter lumens from an xpg on a single 14500, i still have not seen another light with output claims like that out of a single aa source.
I recently found a video showing the second light in the trust line, runs on an 18650, thought maybe i would try that light , but it is ofcourse bigger and i do not think its gonna offer many more lumens. I might bight the bullet and try the trust1 anyway. There is always the marketplace right?

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm sorry, I have been busy and negligent. I will do my best to get a review out his week so you have some info to work with etc.

I think it is a good light, a viable option in the mid size AA market, and competes well with the Quark AA, Fenix LD10, and the upcoming Crelant 7G1 (will review that one too).

I think Lumapower should produce CR123 and 2 AA tubes for the light, but I'm unsure the circuit works properly at 3V and I'm unsure if this is their plan.

Overall, a good choice, depends on what you need and want.

If you want 4 practical levels (or 2 if you lock the lower level), forward clicky, tailstanding, and max output on 14500 (with good output on AA), and a good deep carry reversible clip, the Trust 1 is for you.

Don't get a Trust 1 if you want:

- Strobe, SOS, or beacon modes
- Low low (this one is around 3-5 lumens, not the 0.2 lumen moonlight modes found on Quarks).
- Equal/max output on normal AA batteries.

Also, the light uses high frequency PWM (around 1.1 KHz) but if you are supremely sensitive to PWM, you should be aware of this. It doesn't bother me, but I can notice it if I look carefully.

bob4apple

Enlightened
I'm sorry, I have been busy and negligent. I will do my best to get a review out his week so you have some info to work with etc.

WTF? Gunga, don't apologize! We are not your boss, your wife or any other authority figure. You don't owe us anything, and with a gazillion posts, nobody would call you negligent.

(That said, I'll be second in line to read that review...is it done yet?).

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer lights that offer similar output with various battery types. Something that reaches it max potential on a Li-Ion only (which is likely direct drive then) to me means the mfr didn't bother designing a circuit to support the broader input voltage range. If the price were significantly lower, than that's fine, but for the same price, I can get lights that offer the same performance regardless of what battery type I use.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I did not direct my post at anyone in particular , with that said WTHeck gunga , get on the ball man. J.K.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I prefer lights that offer similar output with various battery types. Something that reaches it max potential on a Li-Ion only (which is likely direct drive then) to me means the mfr didn't bother designing a circuit to support the broader input voltage range. If the price were significantly lower, than that's fine, but for the same price, I can get lights that offer the same performance regardless of what battery type I use.

You may find something that offers the same output on different batteries, but nothing that will put out this much light. I do see your point though.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I looked up this so called crelant 7g1 and got nothing at all from google. Is this an up and coming company.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Gunga, i am starting to research it but would love to hear what you know. Will the fenix ld10 run on a 14500? How many lumens would one guess? Direct drive like the trust or is the ld10 regulated on 14500? I saw no mention of 14500 on the fenix site. I see the ld10 has xpg r4 and trust has xpg r5. Not real sure what you would gain or lose from those different bins.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may find something that offers the same output on different batteries, but nothing that will put out this much light. I do see your point though.

My C2H makes 350 LED lumens on a 14500 and very near that on a 123. It's not that far off from that on a NiMH either...still much brighter than what the Trust is rated for on a low-voltage source (alkaline or NiMH). The RRT-0 is another option (albeit a larger one).

gunga

Flashaholic
I believe the LD10 is similar to the L1D in that it runs direct drive on 14500, all modes are lost (except strobe I believe).

THe difference between R4 and R5 emitters is negligable, so ignore that. THe Trust 1 is a fairly cool tint tho, so not great for neutral folks. Luckily, it is not glued shut so an emitter swap is fairly easy (I have already done mine).

The beam is a bit ringy, but good in use. No dark donut in the spot.

The TRust 1 runs direct drive on 14500 on max, but retains all modes. Lower modes are better regulated (both on nimh and 14500).

The Quark series is similar in that 14500 give much higher output, tho not quite as dramatic as the Trust. The Fenix also runs much brighter on 3V cells (ie CR123) but as stated before, does not regulate on 4.2V Li-ons.

The RRT-0 is a fine light, but really too bulky for me using AA/14500. I like the UI, but don't like the size. THe Jetbeam Pro V3 is also a nice choice, much throwier, with high output on 14500 (and lower in nimh again).

The Crelant looks interesting, The UI is similar to the Trust 1, but you have a non-hidden strobe mode and no clip. That said, it looks interesting.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Thanks for the mini-review gunga. I liked my Lumapower Incendio V3 quite a bit so I decided to buy the Trust 1 for the 14500 form factor. I'm pretty much going to run it on a 14500 and only expect to use lithium AAs in emergencies. So, hopefully, the Trust 1 won't be a disappointment.

EDIT: The Trust 1 was still on backorder so I canceled my order and finally pulled the trigger on an HDS/Ra Clicky 170T Custom.

Last edited: