How does your partner like your hobby?

ivorykid

Newly Enlightened
Wife asked me a funny question tonight...

So, while killing some time in my local home improvement store, I came across the flashlight section. I simply had to stop and check out the products (or lack thereof!). While browsing, my wife asked me, "Sheesh! Were you a firefly in a former life?" :candle: It's true... I am attracted to lights! I got a good laugh out of that, and I simply had to share.

While I am new to CPF, I've had a flashlight fascination for a long, long time. I guess that the wife has taken note. :nana:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wife asked me a funny question tonight...

My wife has long given up commenting when I stop at the flashlight/battery section in stores. She just keeps walking, pretending not to know me while I comb the shelves hoping there's something of interest there.

Burgess

Flashaholic

to IvoryKid --

Next time yer' wife is in a store, looking at SHOES . . . .

"Sheesh! Were you a centipede in a former life?"

:whistle:
_

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashaholics know where the flashlight section is in every hardware/electronics/big box/convenience/sporting goods/uniform supply/flea market/medical supply/auto parts/tool truck/grocery and dollar store.:candle:

don.gwapo

Enlightened

Flashaholics know where the flashlight section is in every hardware/electronics/big box/convenience/sporting goods/uniform supply/flea market/medical supply/auto parts/tool truck/grocery and dollar store.:candle:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:. Your right. Everytime I go to these I always stop by at their flashlight/battery section to see whats new.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep...I know them in everystore...I even stop by the hardware section in Dollar General hoping to find another dorcy 4AA to hot rod out with a magnum star 3cell xenon. The last one I built, my son got a hold of, and left it on...needless to say, the reflector melted...glad I found it when I did, or else :poof:. Great story Op!

vudoo

Enlightened

Does anyone ever think about where their interest in lights comes from?

I remember as a young fella reading underneath my blanket at night with a ppastic, AA Eveready torch. Maybe that where my fascination stems from? :candle:

jellydonut

Enlightened

I've always enjoyed quality items - you know the kind, the kind of things your grandfather still has from his youth. I want to buy things that I can use, abuse and still have when I'm 70.

At the other end of the scale I've always loved overkill, so these stupidly bright LED lights are just the ticket. Combine them both and you get the perfect hobby! (and the Malkoff catalog..:twothumbs)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

With me it's partially with the "magic" of projecting something from your being...being able to manipulate an inanimate object with some effect other than physical movement by pushing/pulling...kind of like first driving a car or riding a segway...

I also always liked the look of lights being used in early movies I watched as a kid, and the effect of light isn smoke and rain.

Plus, I have a thing for quality, like others have stated...hence my collection of a certain brand of lights.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember as a young fella reading underneath my blanket at night with a ppastic, AA Eveready torch. Maybe that where my fascination stems from? :candle:

I remember my first torch - a Mag Solitaire in a gift case - when i was about 8. It didn't set off the love for me...

I've always enjoyed modifying things to make them go better then they were designed for. First it was getting Doom to run on my 386. Then it was overclocking Pentium III's. Then it was getting my 175HP Saab to 260HP. Then, when that made me broke (Failed turbo, stretched timing chain, blown throttle body and destroyed clutch thanks to the power increase) I was forced to sell it. There was a year after that where I had nothing to play with. Then I discovered that I could fit a HID kit into a 12V spotlight. While trying to work out how not to kill myself doing it, I discovered this place...

Now I'm broke again. In fact, vudoo, that's your fault! The mag is lovely though...

vudoo

Enlightened

Now I'm broke again. In fact, vudoo, that's your fault! The mag is lovely though...

You need to complete the Surefire Trinity and purchase a third mag off me, the VARA1000. The elektrolumens triple MCE was pure flood, the FiveMega SST-90 was a mix of flood and throw and the VARA1000 will be the throw king. :grin2:

mrartillery

Enlightened

:candle:

The look of :eek: on others faces when you turn them on and the look of :D on yours. Plus it's fun making something weak into something powerful, guess its a guy thing.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was referred to as Insectosaurus from Monsters vs. Aliens. :)

fareast

Enlightened

I never forgot: as far as I can remember, I have been afraid of the dark.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

to IvoryKid --

Next time yer' wife is in a store, looking at SHOES . . . .

"Sheesh! Were you a centipede in a former life?"

:whistle:
_

Yes I can provide you with a complete rundown of the flashlight section in every local store :grin2: .....................unfortunately I can also paint a pretty clear picture of most shoe departments....:shakehead

nathan225

Newly Enlightened

you are right .I know where the flashlights are in most all stores in the area .every time I go to the store I rush over to the flashlights only to find the same old lights with nothing new:shakehead

Ishango

Enlightened
Inspired by many stories I've read on this forum and also by this thread ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287911 ) I was interested in how the partners of my fellow collectors (though I'm still a noob :)) react to their hobby.

Currently going through a rather difficult divorce myself (a long and different story continuing for about 1,5 year now). My ex-wife didn't like my hobby for one bit. Every Euro I spent on a flashlight was one too many. Which meant I couldn't actually collect anything or I must have kept it hidden for my ex-wife. She really did not see any reason for buying a flashlight of good quality instead of the ones you can buy at the supermarket (budget quality lights not counting).

My new gf on the other hand really likes it that I have this hobby (several besides flashlight collecting as well, but they cost a lot less :laughing:). She doesn't understand why people collect anything (she doesn't collect anything herself) and doesn't understand the exact reason (that's what was funny about the thread linked to above), but she approves of it and likes it that I have an interest in it. She even is honestly interested when I bring home yet another flashlight.

So I was wondering how other partners of CPF'ers go about this?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
not quite collection material, more a cafe off topic thread. but anyway my Fiancee doesnt like that i spend money on more lights. She is ok with the ones I have now, but doesnt understand why I want to buy lights that are not in my collection now.

However the one exception is if the light is different. Like Lummi lights. She got to see one first hand in London. She thinks they are cute and pretty cause they are small and bright.

Compared to my military themed Surefires.

I find that you can counter argue close minded people if you can find some metaphor for that person to understand.

Many women like fancy expensive purses or shoes. If they dont then you have a problem making this argument work. But you can tell them, Surefires are like Prada or Louis Vuitton. They are the best of the best.

Of course like in the world of fashion there are substitutes, knock offs, and lower grade items.

Hence my fiancee buys her shoes at DSW on clearance. She will spend as high as $60 for a pair of shoes she really likes. But she will buy a bunch over the course of time.

The only major issue is that I dont make as much money as her right now. So collecting is a little taxing. Gotta get a job now that I moved so I can afford my hobby. If I make enough to support, with her salary as well, and support my hobby, then no problems.