1 x AA XP-G with boost driver

Hill

Enlightened
Found another cheap single AA light @ Ocean State Job Lot. Ouput was pathetic of course, but it provided a nice host for an AA powered XPG using a Shiningbeam 1A boost driver.

Original AA light
340 mA off 1 AA
Output ~ 10 lux by ceiling bounce
Tint = bluish :sick2:

Picture013.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Exploded view
Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Emitter and boost driver
Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Current draw from AA
Picture017.jpg

Now, let's give this thing some muscle....

Deanodized body
New grippy
XPG neutral white emitter
Shiningbeam 1A 3-speed driver
Custom copper heatsink
Tailcap "button" (not clicky)

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Stock reflector was ground slighty to focus the XPG.
Picture023.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Exploded view
Picture029.jpg

Driver pill
Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Stock driver (left). Shiningbeam driver (right)
Picture032.jpg

Current draw on low, medium and high running off 1AA Duraloop. On/off is by twisting head. Mode changed by slightly depressing tailcap button. Very smooth and easy mode changing which works flawlessly. I measured 350 lux on high by ceiling bounce. The body does get warm pretty fast on high which is a good indication of heat transfer. Definitely not something that could be run for extended periods on high, but then again, no light this size can provide sufficient heatsinking at that output. On low, it can be run for quite a while without heat issues.
Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Side-by-side. Stock AA (green). XPG modded (raw)
Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Beam shot ~1 foot from wall
Picture034.jpg

And across the room ~15 ft. I don't think my doggie was very happy to be blinded
Picture035.jpg

Of course this is not Fenix quality, but for an initial $3.88 investment for the host and ~$12 in parts, plus what I had lying around, I think it turned out pretty nice. Sure looks a lot better than the original, not to mention the increased output and multi-mode options.

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened
Thanks for the kudos. A pretty easy one, but a great little EDC. The boost driver can really squeeze a lot from a single AA. I was asking myself why I bother going through this trouble when I could simply buy something from DX....

Then I remembered....it's way more fun to build than to buy :thumbsup:

Hill

Enlightened
The driver is from shiningbeam here
It is also available from DX if you want to wait 4 weeks. Not much savings there. Better off getting from Bryan @ shiningbeam.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver is from shiningbeam here
It is also available from DX if you want to wait 4 weeks. Not much savings there. Better off getting from Bryan @ shiningbeam.

Are they the same driver then? I thought someone reported that the shiningbeam driver was a smaller Dia?

DollarstoreLurker

Newly Enlightened
These lights can be found in the bins at Home Depot for about $1. The switches are pretty terrible, and lead to some flickering. The $0.50 ones nearby were more reliable switch-wise.

Hill

Enlightened
Are they the same driver then? I thought someone reported that the shiningbeam driver was a smaller Dia?
The pictures look very similar, but I don't have both to compare side by side.

yazovyet

Enlightened
the funny thing is i plan to do the exact same thing, same driver, cheap light, same batteries even. ok, i guess i am useing an xm-l instead of xp-g.

the beam shot of your poor dog makes me think that it will infact be worth it and put out a suitagle amount of light

Last edited: