Mag2C (re)mod suggestions

PeterW

Enlightened
Not been on CPF for a few years and LED technology seems to have caught me by surprise! I have ?2004 vintage mag 2C "spaceneedle2" 5w luxeon mod. Good throw, bit of a hole in the beam, but not bad. 180ish lumens is old school, I am interested in upgrading this to a slightly more 'reasonable' level.
I am after very good throw, a very smooth beam, serious amounts of light, multiple level output would be a plus. Runtime is unimportant, I have "proper" lights for serious runtime, this light is for slicing through the dark!

OK guys, what suggestions/parts do you recommend. Please remember I have been out of this game for a while and so do not know the new fangled emitter/battery options that now seem to be commonplace! I can solder, glue etc, but do not have access to machining facilities. If anyone feels like offering to do the remod for me, all the better.

Cheers

PeterW

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
p7 powered by 2 18650.
note; not all 18650 cells have the same dimensions, diameter wise they vary tiny bit but it is not important, length is some protected 18650 wont fit in 2c mag, (aw cells wont fit).
i build p7 2c mag, i like it very much,
you need heat sink, p7 led, driver (i used dx driver, you can you either that or other, but be careful c mag wont fit all drivers, dx 5mode driver is the biggest (diameter wise) that you can fit.
you will also need to cut off the cam on the stock maglite (incandesent maglite, don't use rebel mag, while it has deeper reflector, led has to be deeper in the tube, almost all p7 heatsinks are made for incandescent mag, it wont work right in rebel mag).
remove tailcap spring, remove anodising inside the tailcap, take a small piece of foam, wrap disordering braid around, so last cell will be inside the cap.

Hill

Enlightened
My latest favorite 2C mod is a quad XP-G here

tx101 did a triple XP-G here and a quad here

Ma_sha1 did a triple XP-G here and a 7 x XP-G here

Many other options available, I just like XP-G mods. I prefer neutral white tint.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not very familiar with the Space Needle light, a bit before my time.
From what I have gathered, Lux mounted on a heatsink, driven by
3 x primary CR123 cells, is that correct ?

Would you know if the Lux uses a regulator board ?
If a board is used, do you know how much current drives the emitter ?

I have seen some very bad photos of what the heatsink/emitter look
like and it maybe possible to swap the emitter for a more modern one.
Which emitter will depend on the size of the heatsink pedestal that the
emitter will sit on.

PeterW

Enlightened
Spaceneedle is direct drive... 3xCR123 pushing the poor emitter to within an edge of its life. Best option will be to strip it all out. Multilevel lights are the only way to go, allows good lifetime AND extreme brightness (when you want it). (if only we could get a proper smooth flood to spot adjustable head and we'd have the perfect light!).

I will try and see if I can get some pictures and work out how to post them. Keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers

PEter

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

PeterW

Enlightened
Re: Mag3D (re)mod suggestions

Had a prod about, boy was Mr Bulk an artist, very precise build. Unfortunately the heatsink seems to be arctic alumina epoxied in... won't (with gentle persuasion) go up or down... so looks like my homebrew mag3D is going to be easier to (re)mod (changed thread title). The SpaceNeedle2 lives to see another day...

My mag3D already has a MR16 50W dichroic spot powered directly by a 12xTitanium2400 NiMH in a modamag battery holder... bit like this post http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=74404
Of course might as well just keep the switch and replace all the rest.... more room and more potential output...

Cheers

PEterW

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried using a hammer on the Space Needle heatsink ? ..... :nana:

Again excuse my lack of knowledge on the Space Needle :eek:, but
you say that the Luxeon is directly driven by 3 x CR123 cells
does that mean it sees 9V :eek: or are the cells connected in parallel ?

You really need to remove the heatsink if you want to carry on
with the re-mod of the light.