Nitecore D10 vs 4 sevens quark 123 for EDC

Madpayas0

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to add an EDC lamp to everything else I carry. 2 lights have caught my eye. The quark 123 and the D10. I was looking for semi-objective opinions on both.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have the D10. It's quite rugged and perfect for pocket carry with the optional? clip. But, there are two minor issues I find with it:

1) Its beam is somewhat ringy, which is avoidable with newer lights from 4 Sevens and,

2) It drains the battery very slightly when you use the tail switch to 'turn it off'. In actual fact, it doesn't turn off completely. This is done to preserve the brightness setting you were using when shut off. To really turn it off, you need to twist the head until it's off. When turned back on, you're back to full power again. If you use the light frequently, this is not a problem. Tuck it away for a few months, and you may find yourself in the dark.

Madpayas0

Newly Enlightened
The switch on the D10 is what caught my eye. I didnt know that it drained the battery. Good to know and add into the consideration list.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parasitic drain is something all lights with mode memory have, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The D10 has one of the most amazing pocket clips I've ever had the pleasure of using. Personally, I'd never buy an SP model - get a ramping one, either an old D10 R2 or a D10 Tribute. Both go up for sale on the Marketplace quite frequently. It has a good weight, is solidly built and the piston drive is a mixed blessing and curse. Those that like it (like me) will swear by it. Those that don't will never buy a piston drive light again. You have to use it yourself to know which category you fall into. It's currently near the top of the Flashaholics Top 10 list, for very good reason.

The 123 has a nicer beam and better output. I'm not sure if the 123 even comes with a clip (I don't believe it does) but the Quark clips are nothing special. It's more compact and probably weighs less.

You might want to take a look at the Zebralight SC51 - it should be out of preorder and in actual circulation now. It currently has the highest output on 1xAA battery, it has a great clip and it has a side switch (and Zebralight switches are the nice electronic ones - feel like your car radio buttons). If I didn't already have my HDS EDC (will never buy another pocket light after buying this one), that's the light I'd be eyeing up. Maybe wait for the reviews.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to take a look at the Zebralight SC51 - it should be out of preorder and in actual circulation now. It currently has the highest output on 1xAA battery, it has a great clip and it has a side switch (and Zebralight switches are the nice electronic ones - feel like your car radio buttons). If I didn't already have my HDS EDC (will never buy another pocket light after buying this one), that's the light I'd be eyeing up. Maybe wait for the reviews.

+1. I have an SC50w+ and it's an outstanding light.

I would also add a recommendation for the Quark, but in the 1xAA version. It can use any kind of AA format cell, and with lithium ion 14500's it will put out as much light as the 2xAA version. It's also available in different tints as well. If you bought a Quark regular AA^2 and an AA body you could simply swap the bodies and have the flexibility of single cell for compactness and light weight, or two cells for longer run time.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the Quark because it has more levels on it. I think you will find the low modes on the quark especially useful. I'm not sure why you'd want the Quark 123 rather than the AA if you're comparing it to the Nitecore D10. I actually like the longer size of the Quark AA more. But the greater selection of levels and lego-ability of the Quarks make it one of my favorite flashlights.

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
you should also consider the ex10 in the 1*123 form factor...

not as bright as the quark, but the beam of the latest ones with xp-e r2 led is very clean, with no rings and a smooth transition between spill/spot.

as said before, the clip of these series are perfect and secure for edc use.

the ex10 allows easier led swap than quark or d10

ex10 won't work with out of specs in lengh li-ion : it's fine with AW batts, or solarforces

Moonshadow

Enlightened
It drains the battery very slightly when you use the tail switch to 'turn it off'. In actual fact, it doesn't turn off completely. This is done to preserve the brightness setting you were using when shut off.

PB: This is a common misunderstanding, that is easily disproved by taking the battery out and putting it back in. The light will still remember your setting, proving that it does not need to have power maintained.

There was a batch made about 18 months ago which did have battery drain issues due to a faulty component - perhaps you have one of those, in which case, you should be entitled to a replacement.

When turned back on, you're back to full power again.
Not seen this before. As mentioned above the D10 remembers the last setting even with the battery out. If yours is not doing this, it's defective and should again be returned for replacement.

Madpayas0:
... I didnt know that it drained the battery.
Don't worry - it doesn't. I keep one on my bedstand for several months at a time (only used occasionally) and it fires up every time no probs.

toughCookie

Newly Enlightened
There was a batch made about 18 months ago which did have battery drain issues due to a faulty component - perhaps you have one of those, in which case, you should be entitled to a replacement.
.... If yours is not doing this, it's defective and should again be returned for replacement.

But if you bought it from the marketplace, do you ask the cpf user for a replacement or ask NiteCore? :candle:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if you bought it from the marketplace, do you ask the cpf user for a replacement or ask NiteCore? :candle:

The old buyer beware, not sure but if it's a warranty issue you may not need a receipt. In which case 1rst or third owner if it's a factory defect I would hope that you'd be okay.
I bought one on the cpf marketplace and it should be here soon.
I own the Quark AA and Quark AA2, the modes are well thought out, I have one on my bedside table, love the moonlight mode for navigating with night adjusted eyes.

henry1960

Enlightened
I have many Nite Cores and have many Quarks....My opinion; Stick with 4 sevens Quarks.
1.Dependable
2. More options (low low ect.)
3. Great service and warranty.

But This Is Just My 2 Cents. :D

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
I have many Nite Cores and have many Quarks....My opinion; Stick with 4 sevens Quarks.
1.Dependable
2. More options (low low ect.)
3. Great service and warranty.

But This Is Just My 2 Cents. :D
I also think the 4 sevens quark 123 would be more nice.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
If you can't choose between them 2, maybe the batteries might sway you. AA's are cheaper and easier to get hold of.

pugga

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little biased because I love them but all I have to say is read this :twothumbshttps://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255627 Cheers pugga

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why wasn't it an Ex10 vs a Quark123?
D10 r2 145 lumens and the Quark AA reg 130 lumens square off pretty good.
On regular batteries the D10 is brighter and throws a little further, the Quark has more modes and quicker access to them.

My D10 camo arrived today, just got the mail a minute ago. Brrrr, tints look comparible on the sidewalk......
White ceiling bounce, happy with both.

Now I know why you picked different battery types.
They are both equally EDC material but for different reasons.
I'd be hard pressed to pick for these too, I'd take a Quark123 over a D10 though, it'd be brighter and has more modes.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
#4) D10 All the way....It's my edc.

It's for those situations like being stuck with your friend's car in an empty parking lot 2am in the morning. Oh wait, there is a 7-Eleven nearby. Excuse me Miss, do you sell any CR123's? Really?None!!! Wait a minute, was that an adam's apple? :eek:

true story....Las Vegas baby, gotta love it.

drmaxx

Enlightened
What I like about the D10 is the memory mode. It turns back on to the last useful amount of light you used (I got the old ramping model). So when I press the button - in most cases I get a useful amount of light.

The quark (normal) comes on either super low or super bright. If you need something useful then you always have to press buttons.

Commonly, I use my EDC with short bursts of light - where are the keys? - what's on that sign? - .... The D10 is perfect for that.

Yes, I know you also can get the Quark tactical.... But I do use the very low a lot.

toughCookie

Newly Enlightened
The old buyer beware, not sure but if it's a warranty issue you may not need a receipt. In which case 1rst or third owner if it's a factory defect I would hope that you'd be okay.

I'm very sorry, but I've read and re-read this many times, and I still can't figure out what the answer is :confused:. Maybe it's just me being very tired and dumb :stupid:

Could someone enlightened me?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 arrived last night. It's states roughly that first 10ish days replace,
After that, 1 year repair any manufacturer defects.
After 1year, you pay repair costs. So if you can't get the original receipt from the first purchaser then play dumb when you request it repaired and say under a year and no I don't have the receipt, ;) or I lost the receipt when I moved :D

Hope that helps

Madpayas0

Newly Enlightened
While all the info is good, I'm still on the fence. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on both. Then worst case I put one for sale in the marketplace