Tiablo Ace.g vs Thrunight Catapult V2

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Okay guys help me out. I am not looking for a throw only light. I have read that the Ace.G is not the thrower that the A10.G was and that may actually make it the light I am looking for. The Catapult looks good also so i am not sure which way to go here.

What I am interested in is a light that will throw a beam about two hundred yards or so while still giving plenty of spill. It would be great to see at distance but not step in a hole walking in that direction. I have looked at all of the beam shots that could find here and on You Tube. I like the looks of the beam on the Catapult but in the beam shots it looks like any usable spill is well out in front of the person holding the light if that makes since. Is that true of the Catapult or are they pretty close in this respect? Also, I would like a light closer to white or neutral rather that a green or blueish tint.

Another thing is build quality. Which of these is nicer in general? How about the fit and finish. My budget is around 150 or less. I know that isn't going to buy me Surefire quality but I want the best for my money. If there is another light that I should be looking at please feel free to throw it out there. Thanks

Bake

Newly Enlightened
:candle: Hmmmm? No one has any thoughts on these two lights? How about a word about build quality at least from someone that has handled one or both brands?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Bake! I can't comment on the Tiablo, since I've never seen or handled one...but I did have a Catapult V2. As far as your throw needs are concerned, the Catapult will definitely meet and exceed them. The spill light (to me...) WAS in fact adequate for seeing/avoiding obstacles immediately in front of you. In my opinion, the spill light was also wide enough to be effective. The down side(s): The beam was definitely VERY cool tinted...had a noticeable "bluish" tint. I actually prefer cool tinted lights, but I thought the Catapult's tint was a little TOO cool. The size (...and this is purely based on preference): Even for a "dedicated thrower", I found the Catapult to be just too big to comfortably use for any extended period of time. I prefer most of my lights to be "compact", and the Catapult doesn't fit that preference AT ALL. It is a VERY nice light...built like a tank, with some very impressive output; just too "big 'n cool" for my liking! Hope that helped...

PJD

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Yep, it does PJD. Thanks much for your observations. I know it is a large light which I was willing to deal with considering the throw. However, A blue beam is not something i want. For use in the woods or looking across a field on a damp night I have found an led with a blue tint to be less than ideal. Guess I'll keep looking. Maybe someone will come along with some information on the Tiablo Ace or something else within my budget. Thanks again.

-Bake

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem...I'm sure some others will chime in on this shortly! While cool tinted LEDs are my preference, an LED that's TOO cool can be downright annoying. And you're right; cool tinted LEDs are not suited well for color rendition at all. For that you'll definitely want something neutral to warm...good luck in your "quest"!

PJD

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I have been reading about bins for a while now. I see that the Ace has a WC bin which I think I have figured out is pretty close to bright white. I don't know yet what M rank means. :thinking: Looking at a review by Selfbuilt the Ace looks pretty good. I would like to see a beam shot at 100 yards or more but haven't been able to find one yet. Thanks again man.

-Bake

Grubrunner

Newly Enlightened
The Tiablo Ace-G is NOT a thrower.

It's a damn good light with great lumens and very nice spill but, in comparison to the Catapult V2, it's NOT a thrower.

Has excellent build quality, feels great in the hand, is very well balanced and mine has worked flawlessly for many, many months now. I only have two [minor] issues with it. It runs significantly hot when left on for a period of time and will suck CR123 during the same conditions.

I don't own a Catapult V2 but have used a buddy's on several occasions and have been just as impressed.... if not more. A definite player in the world of "throwers."

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Grubrunner, nice to have input from an owner of the light. I think the Ace may be more of what I am looking for than the Catapult. Beam looks very white from what I can see in beam shots. Lots of spill compared to dedicated throwers.

Buckley, thanks for the link. There are some great shots there that really make comparisons easier.

Last edited:

Grubrunner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Grubrunner, nice to have input from an owner of the light. I think the Ace may be more of what I am looking for than the Catapult. Beam looks very whit from what I can see in beam shots. Lots of spill compared to dedicated throwers.

Buckley, thanks for the link. There are some great shots there that really make comparisons easier.

Correct.

It has a very nice pure white beam.

Let us know how you like it if you do in fact purchase it.

Good luck brother.

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I missed out on the Catapult that I was considering so that makes my decision a little easier I guess. Unless,of course, I find another light for 100 bucks that competes with the Ace. So far that hasn't happened. Thanks again guys.

-Bake