can they do this?legal question

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i am buying a house.I am buyinmg it like rent to own kinda>I know that aint the best idea.But they cant raise rent well the guy i bought it from lost a bucnh a stuff to bank.so now someone else owns it.They say there going to rewrite my morgage lease whatever it is .can they do this?i sure wont sign it.but should i worry i never am late with payments.i like it here big yard big house

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Yes they can. Since the original landlord still had full title to the house if they have a judgement against them they can loose the title, and you don't have an agreement with the owner. You may have recourse against the original landlord but he probably doesn't have money anyhow.
A better way of doing something similar is to ask the "landlord" to be your "bank" and hold a private mortgage. Then you have the title and are protected if he has a judgement.
DISCLAIMER I am not a lawyer--this advice may be worth more than you paid for it but it may not be. Please consult a professional for real advice.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well that sucks lol.well i guess i have no idea what to do lol.we did a lot a work to this house

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it a contract? In some states a contract purchase can't be easily altered if the contract had been registered with the county recorder or other such authority. Unfortunatley most buyers don't register the contract. My uncle did not register his contract and when the owner passed away her heirs made him buy the house and he had to get a traditional mortgage. If he had registered the contract the estate would have had to honor it. But this may vary from state to state.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would contact a lawyer as quickly as possible. They will want to see any and all agreements you signed with the previous owner. It's my guess that your kind of out of luck. But contact an attorney for real advice.

mike