Don't let this happen to your Maelstrom!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The lens fell out of my Maelstrom.

Not through any fault of 4Sevens, but because of the extreme stupidity of an experienced Flashaholic, yours truly. I am posting this as a cautionary tale so that others wont make the same mistake.

Several days before I received the Maelstrom I had unscrewed the plain aluminum bezel cap from an Eagletac M3C4. This didn't effect the lens which was firmly ensconced in the head itself. I must have absent-mindedly done the same with the Maelstrom, forgetting that the bezel cap retains the lens. Instead of replacing it with the extra black version which is part of the Maelstrom's generous package I just put it in a drawer.

Inevitably, the lens fell out though I'll never know when or where, and I used the light for several days before I discovered that the reflector was naked. Luckily it appears to be ok. I hope I can get a replacement lens from 4Sevens or some other source.

I hope this post helps any new Maelstrom owner avoid my error.

Brightnorm

Here is a picture of the Maelstrom that clearly shows the plain aluminum bezel cap. (Copied from SelfBuilt's excellent and comprehensive Maelstrom review - LINK http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=282390

G5-4.jpg

al93535

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed this last night when playing with my G5, the lens will just fall out. I see no o-ring or any other way to seal the lens to the head. Now I am wondering, just how waterproof os the G5? it seems to me water will penetrate right past the lens!!!

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Haha! I see the oring now, thanks!!! The G5 is great. Has anyone tested the Light under water?

anethema

Newly Enlightened
I freedove and snorkled with my Quark in local lakes fairly often. Never a drop inside. So if they claim a level of waterproofness they probably exceeded it.