Flashlight Recommendation Help

Ratso

Enlightened
Unless your department pays for batteries, you should get a rechargeable. Both the TigerLight, Stinger HP/XT, and UltraStinger are fine lights and are quite popular here. The Stinger HP/XT may be the only one that can fit on your belt comfortably on horseback. Surefire makes some very nice compact rechargeables but they are pricey and some have had bad experience with battery reliability.

If you get a non-rechargeable your best bet is a Surefire. For around $150 you can get a SureFire M2 Centurion that runs on two SF123A lithium batteries, or a C3/Z3.

You should also remember to have a good lithium powered backup light small enough to carry in your pocket, etc. For that I recommend the SureFire E2e.

Streamlight and SureFire both make great lights intended for law enforcement, so you shouldn't go wrong with lights from either company, as long as you make sure the light you want meets a standard criteria so you can compare.

By the way, what light were you (or currently) using? Could it be a Mag-Lite?
tongue.gif

bayouboy88

Newly Enlightened
Bingo on the Mag-Lite!!

I just had to laugh at myself and what I thought was a "fine light". I couldn't believe the light the other ones put out. I was too embarassed to ask what kind they had. I was suffering from a serious case of flashlight envy!!.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have an ultrastinger and love it...i would recommend it any day.

but people have been saying amazing things about the tigerlight.

tigerlight is brigher, and provides more perifrial light...however the us has the option of a 2.5 hour fast charger which is real nice, whereas the tigerlight currently only has the 10 hour charger.

they are both around the same price, and if fast charging isn't an issue, i think i would recommend the tiger light due to what everyone has said about them. (also they are ha3 which is much more durable)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I would suggest you check that the UltraStinger isn't too long for carrying on your belt on horseback. The TigerLight is a compact flashlight able to give you the beam range I expect you require when shining from a horse?
Anyway, the need for a suitable Lanyard could be pretty vital when on a horse right? I'd fire a thread out for TigerLight Lanyard options if I were you.

Al

SuRgE

Enlightened
Ultrastinger or Tigerlight. But if you need a percussive light, then the Streamlight SL-20x with the SL-35 lamp. Its longer than the US and a bit heavier. All three are rechargables.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I would go for one of Elektrolumens' fantastic creations (I have the 5W Luxeon Cyan torch on order). Wayne always has a number of is high powered LED torches for sale on his web site http://www.elektrolumens.com
(note the "K"), Many of his torches are featured on the "Modified & Homemade" forum here on CPF!
A useful addition to an Elektrolumens or any lanyardless torch is the Nite Ise Grip & Clip. Th torch can be aafely clipped to your belt, and a retaining strap prevents your torch from coming out of your hand. You should be able to get both the torch and the Nite Ise accessory for well less than $120. With an LED torch you'll never worry about where you're going to get replacement bulbs!

MicroE

Enlightened
Originally posted by bayouboy88:
Bingo on the Mag-Lite!!

I was too embarassed to ask what kind they had.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bayouboy88----Two points:

One--Welcome to CPF. Ask any question about light (producing it, measuring it, focusing it)and there is someone here that can answer the questions. And, oh yeah, sometimes the answers are even correct!
grin.gif

Two---Never be embarrassed to ask a question, especially about a flashlight. The guys that you are riding with have (probably) already figured out what will work and what will fail in your particular circumstances. Most of us started out thinking that Mags were the best flashlights. I bet that your fellow teammates would love to show off and discuss their lights and explain the pros and cons of each one. Guys love toys and they love to tell other people about their toys.---Marc

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I own a very recently acquired Streamlight Stinger HP. It's a Stinger body with an UltraStinger type head. It tosses quite a bit of light out there a ways. It will open up to a mild flood beam without a black hole!

Before you give up on Mags however, especially 3D, find or have someone send you a couple Magnum Star Xenons or Xenon Stars as I call them.

I have a 2C, 2D, and 3D Mag with them. Not overdriven they make a tight white hot spot. They may require some tweaking to get them perfectly centered. They still don't do flood for crap producing black holes and rings.

I should be able to comment on a Madmax modded Mini Mag as a backup light in a couple days! But if a Brinkmann LX is a decent example of what a 2 123a light can be, follow the good advice and get a Surefire E2E!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey bayouboy88-

Louisiana? I grew up in Texas and Louisiana.

Hey look! Member 2900! 100 more to go. I started a thread in the Cafe suggesting CPF might have 3,000 members by 2003.

Looks like you've already got some good advice. I would just add that you need an ARC AAA in addition to anything else you get.

Have some fun. Glad you're here.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Isn't it interesting how most people stumbling into CPF from a search about brightest/most powerful/best flashlight, and then can't stop at one?!
wink.gif

bayouboy88

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie discovering a new world that I didn't know existed. What started as an innocent search for the "best flashlight" on the internet led me to this sight.

I need some opinions on what flashlight I should consider purchasing. I have done some research and am a little familiar with what is out there but am overwhelmed with all of the choices. I recently joined a volunteer unit of our county Sheriff's Dept. and realized while out on a call that my flashlight that I thought was just fine was woefully inadequate compared to what others had. I thought the batteries were just low and after changing them realized that my flashlight was not going to work. I need something that I can carry on a belt, is durable, provides some protection (we do most of our patrol on horseback), in the $150 or less price range, and most importantly is bright. Also, should I look at rechargeable or battery?

I am sure this question has been asked before, although I couldn't find it, and that there are many different opinions but I just need a place to start. Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
123s can be gotten very cheap online from http://www.cheapbatteries.com/ . However, it is best to talk to your fellow deputies to find out what is best in the price range for the patrol area.

As you stated, you are parted of a mounted unit. Therefore, you can't go to your cruiser and plop a rechargeable into its charger.

No matter what you get for your primary duty light, you still need a backup light.

Velcro

Enlightened
Originally posted by bayouboy88:
Bingo on the Mag-Lite!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Which model you have? Just curious.

Icebreak, I think CPF will be close to 4000 members by the end of 2003.

Greetings,
Velcro

bayouboy88

Newly Enlightened
Wow!! Thanks for all of the great advice and the welcome. Just when I think I know what to get I change my mind. I'm still undecided but have narrowed down to either the Tigerlight or the US. Then I see the need for an E2e.

Icebreak - I was born in Louisiana but grew up in several states including Texas. I graduated from LSU and live in Texas now.

Again, thanks for all of the help. I have done no work for 1 1/2 days because I have been reading different threads and have learned quite a bit about lights.

Kevin

bayouboy88

Newly Enlightened
Velcro - Don't know the model but it was a 3 D cell battery I got from WalMart a couple of years ago. Probably around 20 - 25 bucks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If it is a Maglite and takes 3 D Cells then it is what we would call a Mag 3D. It allows for two decent mods. 4 C Cells inside some 1" plastic pipe of the correct length make it brighter. A Mag Magnum Star Xenon 3cell bulb (but drive it only with 3 cells!!!) can make a very hot spot.

These might be found at a Home Depot store, A Sears Hardware store, or maybe at a nice big Hardware like ACE or True Value. I found mine at Home Depot.

Don't give up on the Mag before trying one.