New superlight based on led?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guyzz,

Here I want to discuss a possible new project of a superthrower based on the SST50 or SST90 led..

I happened to have one of those very beautifull and powerfull Spider III Arctic Blue handheld laser's (1 Watt..)

And playing with a few led's, I noticed that pointing this laser at the phosphor layer of a SST50 or SST90, a quite bright, nearly white powersource can be created.

Which can be expected, as the light chip below the phosphor also produces blue light..

Anyway, I could get very decent lumens output this way, without any powersource connected to the led.

Now we all know about the boundaries playing with leds, especially the electrical saturation of the chip. Question is, how much can the phosphor layer take. (depending on sufficient cooling?)

The experiments with the (wellknown..) Wavien collar show that the electrical saturation point does not mean that the phosphor layer is at it's limits on lumens production, otherwise the collar would not work..

I have this perfect, 60 cm diameter parabolic mirror, on which I can mount a SST50 or SST90 in a recoil construction (that particular mirror is very much suited for that). Now when I drill a hole of about 6mm diameter, exactly in the center of that mirror (because it has no hole), allowing the laserbeam to reach the led, with the laser mounted behind the mirror, would that not be a very neat construction?

Now, theoretically, with a stable output from the laser, I can try to boost the output even more by providing (and increasing..) the power to the led.

So first I need to find out how much the phosphor can take in a setup like that. A process I will hopefully start in a few day's.. (or weeks, as I'm quite busy with other things..)

Thinking about this, there also is the possibility of mounting a blue laser diode in the front of a big TIR-optic (center hole), as the actual laser diode is not big, and the power supply can be moved inside the torch..

Whith collimating optics, the beam from the laser diode can be exactly matched to the size of the led chip..

So, can I have your thoughts on this please?

Regards,

Ra.

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

just found this thread because I thought about something similar, though I had the idea to use fiber optics to direct blue light to the LED. But I have no experience with lasers, and fiber optics, at all :eek:
Would be nice to have a kind of supercharged LED for throwers.

Have you made any progress with this project?

Greetings from Germany!