Question about testing standards

cambel

Newly Enlightened
I dont really understand something. I noticed a few times that several companies are claiming that their lights meet the mil-std-810 f or other revisions. From my understanding this means that these company's must have a environmental chamber for testing. I work in the military electronics field and we have many chambers on premises for testing. They cost mucho bucks and I can't see a flash light company owning one let alone testing every flash light before it goes out the door. You must test each and every flash light to claim that it meets mil-std-810 or even ipx-8 standards for that matter. Otherwise you could claim that the design meets these requirements, but each flashlight may not. Are these companies lying about the standards that their flash lights are meeting or whats going on with this. Do a google search about the mil-std-810f if you dont know what the specs are. BTW I believe that all of this is overkill unless these lights are to be contracted with the government and they request these requirements. In that case the price of these lights would be priced accordingly. It just bothers me that people could be lying to sell products. What do ya'll think? I put this in the led forum because the lights that claim these standards all seem to be led lights.

cambel

Newly Enlightened
I dont really understand something. I noticed a few times that several companies are claiming that their lights meet the mil-std-810 f or other revisions. From my understanding this means that these company's must have a environmental chamber for testing. I work in the military electronics field and we have many chambers on premises for testing. They cost mucho bucks and I can't see a flash light company owning one let alone testing every flash light before it goes out the door. You must test each and every flash light to claim that it meets mil-std-810 or even ipx-8 standards for that matter. Otherwise you could claim that the design meets these requirements, but each flashlight may not. Are these companies lying about the standards that their flash lights are meeting or whats going on with this. Do a google search about the mil-std-810f if you dont know what the specs are. BTW I believe that all of this is overkill unless these lights are to be contracted with the government and they request these requirements. In that case the price of these lights would be priced accordingly. It just bothers me that people could be lying to sell products. What do ya'll think? I put this in the led forum because the lights that claim these standards all seem to be led lights.