Olight m3x vs. olight m31 - which one should I get - why?

Z

z_Outdoorsman5

I was going to buy an Olight M31 a few weeks ago, but found out Olight was coming out with the M3x with the new XM-L emitter....woo hoo right? But wait, why does it underperform the older M31 with the SST-50 emitter? The older M31 is slightly brighter, and runtimes on max low are similar between the two lights.

Olight M31 (SST-50 LED)

800 lumens (1 hr)

320 lumens (3.5 hrs)

60 lumens (14 hrs)

Olight M3X (XM-L LED)

700 lumens (1.2 hrs)

60 lumens (15 hrs)

Strobe (2.4 hrs) ------ wasted setting to me

Looks like they are the same size weight. I like that the M31 has an extra useful setting (instead of the strobe.) So, I thought the new XM-L emitter was going to be an improvement, but here it looks like a step back (or sideways.)

Why did Olight make this light?? Am I missing something??

I'm open to other suggestions in this class of lights. I want a mega thrower operating on two 18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries. I have many lights including quark turbo 123x2 and Quark AA2 Turbo. I also have an Olight M20 and an M30. I now want something that throws a LOT more than these lights for under $200.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
from the little bit of reading i've done, I think it is in response to overheating issues from the m31...read a thread concerning that issue. Not really sure besides that. But i agree with you on the wasted strobe setting. would rather have a medium setting in there. Looking at video reviews the m3x is just as bright and throws just as well, if not better, than the m31 just slightly more reliable and efficient of an LED.

I too have the m20, nice light for what I need. Would just like a secondary brighter, throwier light. The m3x suits these needs perfectly minus only an hour runtime and only two output settings...I like at least 3 for this kind of light. Ultimately I want 3 lights...my current m20, m3x category of light and a huge thrower. I will probably not be using olight for the latter. Their offerings are great, I just don't like the color of the sr90,91. Would like something a little warmer.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the little bit of reading i've done, I think it is in response to overheating issues from the m31...read a thread concerning that issue. Not really sure besides that. But i agree with you on the wasted strobe setting. would rather have a medium setting in there. Looking at video reviews the m3x is just as bright and throws just as well, if not better, than the m31 just slightly more reliable and efficient of an LED.

I too have the m20, nice light for what I need. Would just like a secondary brighter, throwier light. The m3x suits these needs perfectly minus only an hour runtime and only two output settings...I like at least 3 for this kind of light. Ultimately I want 3 lights...my current m20, m3x category of light and a huge thrower. I will probably not be using olight for the latter. Their offerings are great, I just don't like the color of the sr90,91. Would like something a little warmer.

This was a thread I started back in January before CPF crashed. It was a good one too with lots of input & advice on these lights & others. I got lost & got restarted on CPF in March. Anyway, I ended up going with an EagleTac M3C4 XM-L. Really love this light, and use it somewhat regularly.

I went to Goinggear's store in Atlanta last week when I was in Atlanta, and looked at all the lights on display (great experience.) I checked out the Fenix TK35 and the Thrunite Catapult for the first time in person, and really liked them. I think I liked the Fenix TK35 better than my EagleTac (smaller, great UI, and looked great.) Anyway, I think any of the lights on the list plus the others I considered were all outstanding, and any of the them would serve well. I like the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L and the Fenix TK35 best because of the multiple outputs, so those two win out in my mind.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
yea not going to lie, didn't even look at the date, wish the info could have been saved as I'm looking into this light as well, but may just wait for a few more months to see what else will be coming out. Don't really need another light where i am, just kinda itchin to buy one.

saw goinggears comparison on the xml's and so far still like the m3x more than the tk35...more throw, if I wanted similar flood i'd probably get the jetbeam bc40 as it seems a really good deal for the price. but seeing as I don't need that light, i'm better off just spending a little more for something i actually want

the m3c4 xml is a really nice light for sure, definitely gonna be a hard choice between the m3x and m3c4.

Last edited:

steved3

Newly Enlightened
I have both and prefer the newer M3X. Output seems just fine and the high/low twist function is very easy to use. Steve D

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Earlier this year I was also looking at either the M3X or the M31 but held off. For some reason I just had the feeling that as soon as I ordered and received either of these lights, Olight would pop with something different and better. Well, I believe I might have been right on that hunch as I am currently awaiting delivery of the new SR51. I feel the specs are a tad over rated and the 900 lumen OTF is probably more like 750 to775 and the 700 meter supposed throw is a lot less than that. For crying out loud, that's about 4/10 of a mile! I believe the light from the SR51 can be easily "seen" from that distance but for it to project a beam that far that would actually illuminate an object so it could be seen.............??? Still, for the price it is being sold at I am going to give this one a try as I know it will be brighter than either of my M20's and can still be fairly easily carried in a holster. Hope I haven't made a mistake on this one, will be posting a review when mine arrives.............

Light me up Scotty............Terry

steved3

Newly Enlightened
SR51....is this a rechargeable version of the SR50 with a similar battery pack as the SR90/SR91? SD

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
SR51....is this a rechargeable version of the SR50 with a similar battery pack as the SR90/SR91? SD

Basically yes. The new SR 51 can be used with either six CR123 batteries or with two 18650 rechargeable batteries. It utilizes the XM-L Led which is supposedly a brighter LED, hence the 900 lumen OTF claim by Olight. I was told by the company I ordered mine from that the accessory word "charger" was a misprint and that it doesn't come with one but I have not been able to confirm this however so please, nobody quote me on that one. I hate it when you can't get the straight scoop. This light is supposed to be available for shipment on 6/24 but I have found nothing more on that date so it may be later than that. That's all I know at this time about it. I sure hope I made the right choice as I bought this one on gut feelings about it............

Regards.........Terry

OhioCop83

Newly Enlightened
I know the M30 isn't mentioned but, I own one and the runtime on rechargeables(olight dealer recommended) is less than 35 minutes. I don't endorse the purchase of a high-output olight.

steved3

Newly Enlightened
I just found out from the guys at Olight that the main difference between the SR50 and the SR51 is that the newer light can use 3 18650 batteries whereas the largest rechargeable pack they could get in the old house was 2 batteries (designed for 6 CR123A's). SD

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
I just found out from the guys at Olight that the main difference between the SR50 and the SR51 is that the newer light can use 3 18650 batteries whereas the largest rechargeable pack they could get in the old house was 2 batteries (designed for 6 CR123A's). SD

I wish we could get the straight scoop from somebody on this because all the specs I have read on the SR 51 say it can use either six CR123 batteries or TWO 18650 rechargeable batteries. Nowhere does it say it can take three, or at least it doesn't claim that in any literature I have read so far. Perhaps Matt @ BJ can chime in here if he reads this by chance and tell us one way or the other once he gets his hands on one...............???

Regards..........Terry

PS: After posting this I called the dealer I am buying mine from and he says Olight may be working on a cartridge that will hold three 18650 batteries but he has been told nothing about this to date. That could be why Olight is saying it will...........???

Last edited:

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
So which did you decide on? I'm having the same problem deciding.

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
From all the info I have been able to gather regarding the SR 51 it appears it will blow both the M30 and M3X away but of course that remains to be seen once it gets some shootout beamshots done by those that do that sort of thing. It is definitely a more powerful light at 900 lumens and the claimed, and I say claimed, throw of 700 meters should put it in the big leagues almost. I just got word mine should be in hand by 14th or 15th so this next week is going to be an anxious one for me.............

Beam me up Scotty..........Terry

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
From all the info I have been able to gather regarding the SR 51 it appears it will blow both the M30 and M3X away but of course that remains to be seen once it gets some shootout beamshots done by those that do that sort of thing. It is definitely a more powerful light at 900 lumens and the claimed, and I say claimed, throw of 700 meters should put it in the big leagues almost. I just got word mine should be in hand by 14th or 15th so this next week is going to be an anxious one for me.............

The SR51 will not blow the M3X, catapult V3, or EagleTac M3C4 XML away because it uses the same XML emitter and the same size reflector. It is not 900 OTF lumens. Olight does not use ANSI standard measurements when measuring the "900 lumens" or "700 meter" beam distance.

The main difference is that the SR50 uses an SST-50 emitter and the SR51 uses an XML emitter

P.S. This thread is 7 months old and the OP purchased a light long ago.

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I got carried away in saying the SR 51 would blow away the M3X and the M30 but for the price being charged even if is just slightly better in both brightness and beam throwing ablility, it is to me a better deal than the other two. I was strongly considering the M30 series of lights, one of them, until the SR 51 was introduced..................

Beam me up Scotty..........Terry

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not better, it's basically M3X with differetn battery configuration.

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
Let's face it, there's no one light that does it all, nor is there one light that appeals to everyone. That's the reason there are countless different models and styles coming out now as well as all the "oneupsmanship" going on. Every mfgr is competing for what is in reality a fairly small market for these types of lights. Just do a check on your own block and I'd bet a dollar against a dime that out of 20 homes, 1/2 of them probably have some older Maglite laying around, a few will have some cheapie KMart plastic flashlight with 2 D cell batteries, and maybe one home will have a fairly high end tactical type of light. 5% is not a really high market share IMHO. Anyway, I happen to prefer Olight to most other brands and that's not saying that the other brands are inferior, etc. That's just my opinion and preference. Yours may differ and most likely does. I have three Olights currently and am happy with each one for its's specific uses. I am hoping I made the right decision to purchase the SR 51, but if not, I will simply move on and start looking for something else that will no doubt show up in the not too distant future.............

Light me up Scotty...........Terry

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd bet a dollar against a dime that out of 20 homes, 1/2 of them probably have some older Maglite laying around, a few will have some cheapie KMart plastic flashlight with 2 D cell batteries, and maybe one home will have a fairly high end tactical type of light. 5% is not a really high market share IMHO.

I agree with you on this except I bet the percentage is far lower...maybe even less than 1 or 2%. It seems very very rare that I come across someone that has a high quality high output light or even knows about them.

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you on this except I bet the percentage is far lower...maybe even less than 1 or 2%. It seems very very rare that I come across someone that has a high quality high output light or even knows about them.

And I agree with you also on this. I was actually being a bit on the optimistic side in trying to point out that the market for high tech lights such as the ones we all discuss on this forum, is an extremely limited one and all of the various mfgrs. are competing for a small piece of a very small pie. In this economy just how many folks in the small pecentage of customers for these lights can afford say to purchase an Olight SR 90? Not very many I would think. I'd love to own one but can't justify spending that kind of money right now. Thanks for the comments Outdoorsman5, I imagine there are a few others out there that would agree with us perhaps..............???

Beam me up Scotty...........Terry