5w on stock C2

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen modifications to a P series lamp assembly to hold a Luxeon LED. The problem is getting the heat out. You might just be better off waiting for the KL5. The reflector on that looks like it could do well enough to compete with the throw of an incandescent.

CM

jtice

Flashaholic
It s not really that the 5W PUT OFF as much heat, its that the led itself gets very hot, and the heat has to transfered out of it.

Sence the led it so small it heats up fast, and has no mass of its own to disapate the heat.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, the leds need to get their heat transferred conductively, and the incan need to get the heat by way of radiation, so the incan light got strong lens to prevent it from getting melted away and steel reflector, for the same reason. Led is a totally different matter. You need to transfer the heat of the led conductively, means you need aluminum or the like to take the heat produced by the lux.
like CM said, better wait for the KL5

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Though KL5 is most likely to feature better engineering design, I often find personal mods at CPF to use whiter LED.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
oldeng95 said:
does the 5w leds really put off as heat as the incandescent ????

[/ QUOTE ]

In an a high performance incandescent that uses the Halogen cycle, heat is essential in order to maintain the cycle. On the other hand, in a semiconductor, heat generated at the junction is destructive to the device. Just like the processor in your computer, the heat generated at the LED junction must be removed, usually by conduction from the junction to the body of the light which acts as a heat sink. Convection, or radiation is an inferior way to draw the heat from the junction to the heat sink. I think I might have just repeated what shiftd said, anyway, he's correct. Conduction not convection.