What other AA lights start on "high" like the Ld15?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember asking for the L/M/H UI right after the Maratac AAA was introduced. After months of field experience, I have since completely turned the other way. The L/M/H UI just doesn't work for me when I need to blanket an area with lots of light right away. So far the only light with a H/L UI I have come across is the LD15. I like it, but prefer more options such as NW tint and emergency modes. Are there any other small AA lights with a high first UI? Thanks.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Re: What other AA lights start on "high" like the Ld15?

bump for having the same experience and finding your post in my search. I really like the form of the Quark Mini AA, but don't enjoy having to twist on,off,on,off, and then on to get to high. I think the interface of the new Thrunite Ti may be a good compromise. Have any other options shown up in the past year?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wanted the smallest possible AA light that lets me access the high mode quickly when I started the thread. The smallest lights are always twisty lights, now and then. If I didn't put a limit on size, there are plenty of lights that can start on high.

All ZL lights can start on high or low. I already have the H51w and had the H501.

Some lights with a selector ring can start on high after the adjustment is made with the selector ring.

Then there are some twist a little for low and twist more for high lights like the one you mention.

Then there is the new EZ AA with a single mode with an adjustable output.

I am still searching for such a small light ( around 3'' in length for an AA light) but with more requirements such as an XL-M emitter, and efficient circuit like Zebralight, neutral white tint, and a flood beam.

If I ever find one, AAA or AA, I will be done with buying flashlights.

Last edited:

angrycookieman

Newly Enlightened

The Quark AA2 non-tactical will come on in high mode if the head is tight, and low if it is loose, with more clicks to access the other modes in low, or strobe in high. The Tactical version you set one mode for each of the two head settings and that's all you access. It comes on however you set it. I'm trying to decide now between the AA2 xml quark or the zebralight sc6000, but leaning toward the Quark as I don't really want to buy from China, but I can't seem to find out where the quarks are made.

davecroft

Enlightened

There are a few lights which change mode by tightening/loosening the head, but turn on and off using clicky switch. So if the head is kept tightened, I suppose these will 'start' on high. Jetbeam BA10 and Fenix E11 being a couple of examples, but I'm guessing there are many more.

And there are also quite a lot of lights which have memory modes and will turn on in high mode if that was the last one used. Jetbeam PA01 being an example.

Nitecore EZAA with ramping mode will stay at whatever you set it at, so if you ramp it to max it will stay there until you next enter ramping mode.

The E11 meets a lot of your requirements, except for the emitter. Mine has a nice beam with good tint and runs nearly 2 hours on max.

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened

What we need is an LD15 with E05 diffuser optics and a neutral white XM-L.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

XTAR WK26 (14500 only). But at 22.5x100mm, it might be larger than you'd like.

TomH

Newly Enlightened

Streamlight Protac 1AA & 2AA.