My EDC switcheroo - Fenix LD01 to 4 Sevens Quark 123 Tactical

Z

z_andrewb

I've been regularly upgrading LD01's over the last couple years. As soon as a better LED came out, I'd upgrade and put the 'old' LD01 in a survival kit, as a backup in a pack (murse), in the glovebox, etc. I love the LD01, but there were a couple catches...

1) While I've never complained about the output from one AAA battery, I knew I could get more lumens from an EDC light...

2) I wanted something I could operate with one hand! Sometimes trying to twist that little light in order to turn it on was a hassle. And if I wanted different output, I'd have to twist again... and sometimes again - a drag with one hand.

3) I wanted something (related to both #1 and #2) I could use in a self-defense situation, possibly along with a weapon of some kind, if needed. Which meant I needed to be able to operate it quickly, for maximum output.

And then I found the 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical (S2, no clip). I could operate it with one hand, and if I position my thumb correctly (so that I can't push too far down), I can run the switch in 'momentary' mode reliably. I have it set to maximum output while twisted close, and if I need just a tiny bit of light, I have it programmed to moonlight mode when twisted open (and that twisting shouldn't pose a problem - that's more likely to be needed when I'm not in a big hurry).

I was initially concerned about the size of the light - it's quite a bit thicker than the LD01. But the way I carry it - that's the key. I have it dangling off of a Munroe... you guessed it - dangler. I got a blue one that more or less matches any of my jeans, which is pretty much all I wear. I keep the dangler slid to the rear of my pocket, and it's always easy to index to. I pull the clip, and the light is in my hand.

As it turns out, the light is actually as small as I'd want to go for this type of (rear button) light. Any shorter and my fist would almost always cover the lense at least a little bit, and if it were any narrower, it would be hard to hold onto in my fist reliably. The LD01 was better for use with a couple fingers, or to put between my teeth (I had a little strip of duct tape wrapped around the body for that purpose, as well as being handy when I needed a little tape...).

Here's the light in my pocket - you can see the little clip, but it's otherwise pretty un-noticeable. And while I thought it would feel bulky in my pocket, in that location it doesn't but me at all. A pleasant surprise, and for me (in my work environment), it's a much better solution than augmenting my belt with anything beyone my leatherman tool. More than that and it'll get me unwelcome attention.

bluedanglerinpocketcut.jpg

Below is the light on the table. I actually had to use the round split ring from my LD01, and attached the oval-rectangle-shaped split ring that came with the dangler. Worked perfectly (but I couldn't get just the oval one in there by itself - it wouldn't fit).

47q123withclip.jpg

I love this light. Nice and bright, just as small as I can practically use, and if I just need a little light for a long time, I can run in moonlight for many, many days. Pretty darn cool.

-Andrew