*FOUND* 1.5D Mag with Tail Switch

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
*FOUND—stay tuned for a build thread in Homemade and Modified, if the seller is willing*

;-)

Hi, all! I'm looking for a Mag 1.5D with a tail switch. Switch should be reverse clicky.

I would also prefer the light cut in such a way so that the original side switch is no longer there.

HA, fins, flutes, etc. aren't required. If they're there, I wouldn't mind, and it would be neat, but I am not looking to spend more than $60 to $70 on this host.

If you have something close to my specs but a little more money would be required to loose it from your collection, please post here or PM.

You never know...

:)

~Thanks!

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTB: 1.5D Mag with Tail Switch

You seem to be describing what used to be called a MagSD (sub-D) since it was shorter than even a Mag1D with the stock switch removed. I've got a couple of these but they already are completed lights and not just the hosts that you seem to be looking for at this price. I built one into a 4AA powered light driving four Cree XR-E LEDs. The other is a hotwire with 3x14500 cells driving an WA1185 bulb.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

DonShock, thanks for any help you can provide in getting a better label for the host I am looking for. I want to run one single 32900 cell, an "F" size cell.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, thanks, Mettee.

I will contact him when I get home from my errands.

*thumbs up*

JasonH

Enlightened

I have this, a 2D cutdown to 1.5D and rethreaded with a custom reverse clicky.
It is brand new unused. Just customized.

IMG_74571.jpg

IMG_74621-1.jpg

IMG_74581.jpg

I would like $80.00 shipped. Let me know.

JasonH

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

build one yourself, not hard at all, i build few.
but i,m not selling, however i can teach you how to make one (or 2 or 100) if you want.
this is what they look like, let me know if you interested making one yourself, it is easier than you think. it doesn't require lathe or any other heavy\expencive equipment, in my case all done with hand tools in a kitchen.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1060338.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1060362.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1060288sm-1.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1060290sm-1.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1060275sm-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kubbu

Newly Enlightened

@ alpg88

I am very interested how I can cut my Mag's! Because I have no lathe.
How it sound it is very easy. I love to do things my self because buying can everybody.
You can write it here or per PM.

Thanks

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened

build one yourself, not hard at all, i build few.
but i,m not selling, however i can teach you how to make one (or 2 or 100) if you want.
this is what they look like, let me know if you interested making one yourself, it is easier than you think. it doesn't require lathe or any other heavy\expencive equipment, in my case all done with hand tools in a kitchen.

Cut and glue job on the body/head? No threading?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

OP this is looking like a mod your flashlight thread, so more appropriate for Custom and Modified Flashlights forum. Make your mind up, WTB or want to mod, or I will close this thread.

Bill

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

OP this is looking like a mod your flashlight thread, so more appropriate for Custom and Modified Flashlights forum. Make your mind up, WTB or want to mod, or I will close this thread.

Bill

Hi, Bill, and thank you for the help. I started this thread because I am interested in purchasing exactly what the title asks for, a 1.5D Mag with reverse clicky tail switch. I understand the dichotomy between strictly wanting to buy something and strictly wanting to build something, and I also understand how that initial inquiry can wander into good natured individuals offering advice on how to construct your own in a sober economy. In this hobby, those twin aspects frequently blend together, and I am absolutely, 100% grateful to those that have offered instruction. However, I do understand the desire to keep things strictly on point.

Perhaps a different thread could be started as a tutorial in Homemade and Modified for those interested? It is very generous, as per CPF tradition, for folks to offer to teach others how to mod things, but if the goal is to keep this thread strictly sales, then I can understand how that discussion might be better suited for Homemade and Modified.

For now, I am interested in purchasing something already made.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JasonH, that is a very handsome light, and it not only meets the exact criteria in question, it is actually the very same color as what I pictured in my mind! A few questions:

a) How hard would it be to add an XP-G and driver to your host? I won't be running it over one amp, so I don't need a crazy killer heatsink. I already have the driver and LED efficiency and tint bin selected.

b) Can you verify that a 32900 "F" cell will fit?

c) I cannot see all sides of the light tube. Is the original side switch and the hole it was in completely gone?

d) I am interested in using this as a no compromise hiking light, with a stable, safe LiFePO4 power source, long runtime, short (though not small) form factor, and the durability Mag hosts are recognized for. In the woods, I like a nice combination of throw and flood. I do *not* like when the spot is significantly brighter/smaller than the spill. Do you know if this light could accept a heavy orange peel reflector for my XP-G of choice? I definitely don't want a laser beam.

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

JasonH

Enlightened

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JasonH, that is a very handsome light, and it not only meets the exact criteria in question, it is actually the very same color as what I pictured in my mind! A few questions:

a) How hard would it be to add an XP-G and driver to your host? I won't be running it over one amp, so I don't need a crazy killer heatsink. I already have the driver and LED efficiency and tint bin selected.

b) Can you verify that a 32900 "F" cell will fit?

c) I cannot see all sides of the light tube. Is the original side switch and the hole it was in completely gone?

d) I am interested in using this as a no compromise hiking light, with a stable, safe LiFePO4 power source, long runtime, short (though not small) form factor, and the durability Mag hosts are recognized for. In the woods, I like a nice combination of throw and flood. I do *not* like when the spot is significantly brighter/smaller than the spill. Do you know if this light could accept a heavy orange peel reflector for my XP-G of choice? I definitely don't want a laser beam.

LEDAdd1ct[/QUOTE]

A) You are going to need a custom heatsink since the original switch is now gone. Most or all of the heatsinks available were designed to be used with the stock switch. There is no good way for the driver to be secured on those heatsinks. I could fabricate something for you but I would need the driver and led.

B) I'm not familiar with those size cells, but as long as they are the same diameter as a normal D cell they should fit fine. There will be room for a custom heatsink and the 90mm length of the cell.

C) The side switch was completely removed. The 2D Mag was cut right below the switch and then the new threads and Oring groove were added.

D) Any reflector that is Mag compatible should work in this host.

Thanks

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, Jason. This is the cell I want to use here.

It should fit, right?

Also, who crafted the Mag?

Last edited:

JasonH

Enlightened

Hi, Jason. This is the cell I want to use here.

It should fit, right?

Also, who crafted the Mag?

I think the cell should fit with no problem.
The work was done by me.

Thanks, JasonH

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good afternoon, Jason. Two more questions:

1) How is the water resistance with the tail clicky? Should I have any problems in the rain, especially heavy rains/dropping in a puddle?

2) Can you make me a package deal if I send you the driver and LED, and have you install it? Glass lenses aren't hard to come by, and I know which driver I want to use. Unfortunately, the LED I want to use, the Cree XP-G R4 5C, might have to be ordered from Australia. I'd like to find one locally, if possible. The driver I want to use is available locally.

JasonH

Enlightened

Good afternoon, Jason. Two more questions:

1) How is the water resistance with the tail clicky? Should I have any problems in the rain, especially heavy rains/dropping in a puddle?

2) Can you make me a package deal if I send you the driver and LED, and have you install it? Glass lenses aren't hard to come by, and I know which driver I want to use. Unfortunately, the LED I want to use, the Cree XP-G R4 5C, might have to be ordered from Australia. I'd like to find one locally, if possible. The driver I want to use is available locally.

1) The rubber boot makes a good seal. There should not be any problems with water getting in under those conditions.

2) Yes, I can make you a custom heatsink and assemble the light for you. It would be best if you could send the battery also.

Which driver were you thinking of using? Just for an idea.
14mm or smaller star mounted LED would work good for this.

As a cheaper alternative to a MOP aluminum reflector, you might be able to get a nice beam with a sputtered stock reflector. I would have to see I haven't tried it with XP-Gs yet.

JasonH