REVIEW from EDU - Quark AA² tactical R5

Z

z_lite-bright

Let me first start off by saying that I am in no way a 'flashaholic' and up to this point, a flashlight was a flashlight to me. Some a little more bright than others but along with that came more expense.

I'm just an every day guy who needed a nice torch for every day use. I got sick of buying 'C' and 'D' batteries for cheap $2 flashlights. They never lasted that long and they ran through batteries like nothing else. Then came the LED and well, after many cheap store bought, I had enough. I needed a good light that would last, was durable, and not cost me a ton of money in batteries.

I came to CPF by way of Google and I'm glad I did ! After many reads and suggestions, I ended up with my Quark AA² tactical R5

=================================================

This thing is pure awesome !

I love the fact that it is so lightweight. It fits snug in hand which is another plus.

I don't have to use much pressure on the clicky which is also nice. I have had some lights require some decent pressure to turn off and on. Not this light.

All the different modes are a nice feature to have. You dont always need a super bright light. For one. Having a lower light setting is going to save your batteries. That's a huge plus for me. If I need the MAX setting, it is there and I can change it back with a simple twist.

I use this light for everyday use. The power went out the other day in a large chunk of the neighborhood. I needed to see if my breakers were OK and it is very dark in my basement as I do not have a light down there.

Another scenario I used it in was checking for leaks under my car. I can actually see what and where with this light ! No need for a bulky shop light with a bulb that can burn me.

I have also used this light for camping. No way would I use any other light. I can light up my whole area and look for things I need. Is that an animal I hear !? I even used it for some cave exploring where there was no daylight ... except for my trusty Quark AA² tactical R5

I love this light. Weighs next to nothing. In no way is it ever uncomfortable to use in hand. Bright enough to light up when and what I need.

The 'color' is something that I have noticed. I see that when I have fresh batteries, this thing is super bright White. As they start wearing down I notice that it starts to get a Green-ish tint. I'm talking probably 1/4 life left. I am not bothered by this one bit because it really is hardly noticeable in the field. To me anyway. I only noticed it because I was shining it at the wall.

This 'awful' pre-flash I read so much about. Not an issue for me. There is a way to avoid it for some and I do it that way. Even when I see it I am not bothered by it. My only concern with it would be if it is doing anything to the circuitry ?

One thing I would like to control is the rattle. Either make the body so that the AA batteries fit snug or offer some sort of accessory tube that you can insert so reduce this rattle. It isnt really a huge problem but it does do it and sometimes that rattle just reminds me of those cheap 'Made in China' lights.

This light gets a :thumbsup: