Quest for a second Zebralight... have H501w and need a second headlamp now...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it didn't take any more than a 7 or 8 hour power outage starting late afternoon today to convince my wife that she needed a Zebralight similar to mine! Of course, as an overboard flashaholic myself, we've got tail standing 18650 and smaller lights in spades all around the house, so we're not hurting at all for plenty of useful light during power outages, but the headlight really reigns supreme when moving around and trying to do things.

I see that Zebralight has the H51w (neutral) and H51Fw (flood, neutral). I'd like to stick with neutral and slightly warmish tints as I prefer that for reading and general illumination.

Anyway, my H501w is wonderful for reading and most any at-hand tasks to perform in the house or garage. And I think I'd like something comparable to that in the latest rendition. Would that be the H51Fw or the H51w? (Flood version or standard?)

I see the H51 doesn't support 4.2v li-ion as the H501w does, but I can live with that limitation, though I am a big fan of li-ion powering for my lights. A AA Eneloop in the H51w would be fine.

It looks like the F version has a piece of diffusion glass that's inserted into the head. Does anyone know if this diffuser is removeable when you want a less floody beam or is it permanent? Is the Fw version closest to the H501w in beam characteristics?

Any H51, H51w, H51F, H51Fw users out there? Would appreciate your input on this. Thank you!

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hi DHart,

Well, I don't own any Zebralight headlamps, but I do own the SC51w - the flashlight version of the popular H51w. To answer your first question, unfortunately the diffusion glass is permanent and non-removable. And secondly, the H501w gives out an even, perfect-flood beam, while the H51w still has a faint hotspot... But yes, it is definitely the closest to the H501w in beam characteristics (but not the same)
From other users' reports, the H51Fw should be quite nice for reading :)

Hope this helps,
Woodentsick

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have the cool white versions of the H501(x2) , H51F, H51 (and SC51, which has the same LED and reflector as the H51).

For reading and even illumination close up (eg task lighting or work lamp) the H501 still reigns supreme. For inside the house use it still is my preferred light, even though it has less lumens than the other (XP-G) zebralight headlamps I have. I recently bought another one so I would have a spare. It is the most valued of all my lights, regardless of cost.

The H51F is much more floody than most "normal" beams, but still has a brighter centre with less illumination at the edges.

The H51 and SC51 have a fairly typical (somewhat floody) XP-G beam pattern.

The H51F is probably the most versatile, but isn't as good for reading as the H501, and doesn't throw as far as the H51/SC51.

I guess it largely depends on your priorities.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
D,

I have an H51w and it's a great headlamp. Don't worry about the fact it isn't compatible with li-ions, it's max setting is easily just as bright as my SC50w+ on max with a 14500 or my QAA-XPGnw on max also with a 14500.

It has a typical flashlight beam pattern; good hotspot and a wide spill. My experience is that it's difficult to use for close up reading on either of the two low modes because of this. However, some DC-fix on the lens (thanks CaveDave!) solved that problem right away. It still has some throw to it; this weekend in Yosemite, in Curry Village, going out to the potty at night, it easily filled up the entire lane of tent cabins with light, a good 30 yards down on its lower high setting (I've got it set at 120). The DC-fix also gives you the option of having more throw or more flood as you need it.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Just a thought: Have you considered an SC 30W. It doubles as a headlamp and in fact is very light, comes with a headband and is easily attached to the peak of a cap by way of the clip which can stay installed even when used in conjunction with the headband. This is a great little Flashlight with just about the best UI imaginable; 6 levels, 161L. down to a very useful moonlight mode of 0.3L. & the warmish tint ( about 4,000K. on my sample) is simply stunning!

Good Luck.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both H501w and H51Fw. If we're talking about zero hotspot beam the H501w is definitely it. H51Fw is more than twice in brightness visually but the beam pattern is not as smooth as the H501w. H51Fw is still ok for use close up as it is pretty floody and I kind of like more than the H501w. Tint wise, the neutral white XR-E has more magenta in it whereas the XP-G version looks more yellowish. Overall, both lights are good for use in the outdoors and I love them both.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Any H51, H51w, H51F, H51Fw users out there? Would appreciate your input on this. Thank you!

If you haven't perused this already, some great info/comparisons between the lights under consideration can be found starting about here...

- Jas.

(still not wearing glasses or on the phone...)

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
Why not just get another 501? On their site you can still order the 501 in regular or neutral tint. I have the h30 myself, and I absolutely love it. I hated to see that they did away with the no hotspot beam and started doing even the headlamps as floody lights with a hotspot. I haven't actually used one, but IMO they have lost a lot of the unique flavor they once had. If they just made a more powerful version with 80* flood no hotspot I'd be in heaven. Sorry I'm ranting now...

So, any reason she wouldn't want the same thing you have now?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent! Thanks to all for your comments. Based on them, I decided to order an H51FW. The fact that it is not quite the pure flood as the H501W that I have already is appealing. This way, our household will have a pure flood H501W and a floody light with something of a hot spot H51FW. We can pick whatever light suits the application better. I'm looking forward to seeing how the two lights compare. Thanks again.

ico

Enlightened
@DHart
just want to want to ask what do you think about the H51FW compared to the H501W?
What do you use more often?
Do you use the for reading? what would you prefer between the two?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
ico... for reading, either is fine. I prefer the creamier tint on the H51FW. The tint on my H501W is slightly more magenta. But both are nice.

For utility, I'd definitely prefer the H51W for its greater output.

Of my three Zebralights, H501W, H51FW, and SC51W, I use the SC51W all the time and the others just occasionally.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ico... for reading, either is fine. I prefer the creamier tint on the H51FW. The tint on my H501W is slightly more magenta. But both are nice.

For utility, I'd definitely prefer the H51W for its greater output.

Of my three Zebralights, H501W, H51FW, and SC51W, I use the SC51W all the time and the others just occasionally.

I bet your headlamps don't get used much because they are too bulky to EDC on your person. Yes, this is the bane of headlamps. But it doesn't have to be that way with your Zebralight headlamps, as they can be modified to let you carry both the light and headband in your pocket. May I suggest a lanyard headband mod? You can find more info in the "Zebralight Mods" thread.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet your headlamps don't get used much because they are too bulky to EDC on your person. Yes, this is the bane of headlamps. But it doesn't have to be that way with your Zebralight headlamps, as they can be modified to let you carry both the light and headband in your pocket. May I suggest a lanyard headband mod? You can find more info in the "Zebralight Mods" thread.

Actually, I find the designs of the headlamp models and the flashlight models to be just right for their respective primary applications. I like the position of the switch and the emitter on the non-headlamp models better for flashlight use, though the headlamp's positioning of switch and emitter is perfect for headlight use.