Any experience with Thrunite Scorpion?

Klingsteve

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience / thoughts / comments about the Thrunite Scorpion? Wondering if I should pull the trigger on getting one. The only thing I've seen that confuses me is the lumen output. I've seen it advertised anywhere from 460 to 550.

Any replies would be welcomed. :)

gilly

Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing - looks like a nice light. Thrunite posted awhile back that they had sent one to Selfbuilt to review. Look forward to seeing what he thinks.

purelite

Enlightened
doubt its 550 OTF though its probably heatsinked pretty good at 1.5a an XML will do about 450OTF at startup

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 550 lumens at the emitter. Goinggear.com has the lumens listed at 460 "ANSI" lumens, so you can trust that it's 460 OTF.

I have no experience with this light, but I am somewhat interested. Here's a discription of its operation from goinggear.com:

"The Scorpion features a unique five stage UI with a twist ring on the tail cap. The ring rotates from left to right for the following modes: Lock out, Firefly, Infinite brightness, momentary, and momentary strobe.

• Lock Out: Prevents accidental activation of the light. This is important when storing or transporting the light, or, in situations where accidental activation of a light can be dangerous.
  • Firefly mode: This mode was specifically designed with the tactical user in mind. It is a very low 0.1 lumens which is perfect for stealth navigation and for map reading without excessive glare to the user.
  • Infinite brightness mode: Customize the brightness you want. Press the click and hold, the light will start to ramp in brightness, choose the brightness you want and then release, the light will memorize the setting. It will retain this setting for future use on this mode. When the light ramp in the brightness., it will mention at 100% output and 10% output by blink twice.
  • Momentary function: this is for tactical application where you need short bursts of light. Just hold down the switch for on, release it for off. This mode will always give the max output.
  • Momentary strobe: This is for tactical applications as well. Press and hold for on, release for off"
My concerns:
The firefly level is set to .1 lumens (but is not programable.) The medium setting is programable which is useful, but it's the only setting that is programable. Then there's the momentary on which is permenently set at max output. It would be better to have each level programable; otherwise, I could foresee having to program & reprogram the medium over & over. There is a huge range from .1 lumens to 460 lumens. Maybe another setting in there would have been useful. I use a 5 lumen output & 100 lumen output more than any other level on my other lights, so the fact that the medium setting on this light is the way it is turns me off.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concerns:
The firefly level is set to .1 lumens (but is not programable.) The medium setting is programable which is useful, but it's the only setting that is programable. Then there's the momentary on which is permenently set at max output. It would be better to have each level programable; otherwise, I could foresee having to program & reprogram the medium over & over. There is a huge range from .1 lumens to 460 lumens. Maybe another setting in there would have been useful. I use a 5 lumen output & 100 lumen output more than any other level on my other lights, so the fact that the medium setting on this light is the way it is turns me off.

I wish I would have seen this before ordering! I got my scorpion, and sadly it's going back. There is only one programmable mode, so there is no quick way to go from a High to a Low constant on mode. Bad when your night vision is adjusted, and the light comes on in High!! I have no Lock Out mode, only 4 mode ring, and loosen the tail-cap for lockout.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I would have seen this before ordering! I got my scorpion, and sadly it's going back. There is only one programmable mode, so there is no quick way to go from a High to a Low constant on mode. Bad when your night vision is adjusted, and the light comes on in High!! I have no Lock Out mode, only 4 mode ring, and loosen the tail-cap for lockout.

That stinks. I hate having to return something that I've looked forward to getting. Better than wasting the money & having a light that you regret buying....been there.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any experience with Thrunite Scorpion? => Lock-out Mode

@Aircraft800:

Maybe nothing is wrong with your ThruNite Scorpion. Please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFT38FKUNps

This is a video of a german flashlight - online-shop. Also the video is in german language, you can see how he operates the Lock-out Mode at 5:15 min.

There you can see that you need to press the tailcap-button slightly and then you can turn the selector-ring to the Lock-out Position.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Stephan

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Aircraft800:

Maybe nothing is wrong with your ThruNite Scorpion. Please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFT38FKUNps

This is a video of a german flashlight - online-shop. Also the video is in german language, you can see how he operates the Lock-out Mode at 5:15 min.

There you can see that you need to press the tailcap-button slightly and then you can turn the selector-ring to the Lock-out Position.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Stephan

Stephan_L,

You are exactly right, the button has to be pressed slightly to be able to go to lockout (twist ring all the way to the left), no mention of this in the instructions.

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened

Stephan_L,

You are exactly right, the button has to be pressed slightly to be able to go to lockout (twist ring all the way to the left), no mention of this in the instructions.

THat is how it is on my Gladius, amazingly similiar UI. My Gladius ramps up and down a lot quicker though.

Viper715

Enlightened
The Scorpion is a really good light. I got a chance to try one out and it is very solid. The UI is quite similar to the Gladius I love the push button on both lights. It would be nice to have more programability but this type of light is best suited for law enforcement and simplicity is better in high stress situations. I would have preferred momentary high all the way to the right and two programable levels in the middle and firefly right were it is. That way I can decide if I want strobe and a constant high or if I want two intermediate levels. All and all a very nice light would recommend it highly. Maybe I should do a quick review on it while I have my hands on one from going gear.

Best Regard,
Eric

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the settings should be programmable, I'd like a high and low at least. The selector would be much better near the head so I could select one handed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
@Aircraft800

The selector would be much better near the head so I could select one handed.

I disagree with you! I have a Fenix TA 20, where the selector-ring is next to the head. Since I hold the flashlight in what is typicaly called an "ice-pick-grip", it was impossible to me operating the TA20 one-handed. We are officially supported with flashlights by our departement and they have the same problem, none of my partners could make use of the selector-ring while holding his gun in the other hand.

I had used the Gladius of one of my former partners for a couple of night-shifts and I could operate the flashlight one-handed and while holding my gun. I was looking around a long time for a flashlight like this! My Inforce White came close to it, but I am sure, that the selector-ring and UI of the Scorpion (as a clone of the Gladius selector-ring and UI) will perfectly fit my needs!

Just my 2 ct.

Regards,

Stephan

Xacto

Enlightened
All the settings should be programmable, I'd like a high and low at least. The selector would be much better near the head so I could select one handed.
[...]

Although not a LEO myself, I judge lights/light UIs by their usefullness in combination with handguns and I have to agree with Stephan_L. I have a SF Kroma Milspec with the selector on the front - nice light, but I usually take two hands to change the light color. Only with a sword-like grip a forward mounted selector ring can be used, but even then it is not hassle free.

Even though I prefer flashlight parts to be completely exchangeable from a certain price tag on, I am considering the Thrunite Scorpion to be one of my next purchases - especially since the interest in the Gladius made me a flashaholic last year.

Cheers
Thorsten

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I see your point with the backhanded flashlight grip, fingers are at the tailcap anyway. I don't grip my light that way so I didn't realize that. I however do need to be able to go from a high to low quickly, I don't want the light turning on in high when I need to see up close in the dark, and having to reprogram a single level each time is not an option. If all the modes were programmable, we could choose our liking and would better suit a larger audience.

samm

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine a few days ago from Going Gear. So far I'm really liking it. I'm a Gladius fan and it is very similar, better build and much brighter imo. I totally agree, another programmable mode or better yet all programmable would be perfect. It does ramp pretty slow, it would be nice if that function were quicker, but for me that's a minor issue. All in all it's a keeper for me. Great tint and good throw on high and easy to work the switch one handed to change modes.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Does the ramp function work in the same way as on the Gladius ? - In other words, does it start to ramp from whatever level it was already set to, and can you reverse direction by releasing and press-hold again ?

The video makes it look as though the ramping always starts from high, which would be a bit of a bummer - I often just want to make a small adjustment from the level I'm already on.

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
Does the ramp function work in the same way as on the Gladius ? - In other words, does it start to ramp from whatever level it was already set to, and can you reverse direction by releasing and press-hold again ?

The video makes it look as though the ramping always starts from high, which would be a bit of a bummer - I often just want to make a small adjustment from the level I'm already on.

I bought one and returned it. THe ramping, for example will start on high, then work its way down to low. If you stop, then press and hold to start the ramping, it will continue down, until it hits the low. It strobes, then will start back up again.

It does have memory. If you stop and turn it off, turn it back on, it will be at the same brightness. For me, this setting being not programmable, aside form the memory, Full output not being in the last position and the slow ramping were deal breakers.

I decided to get my Gladius upgraded and hope Strategos does a good job:thinking:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
THe ramping, for example will start on high, then work its way down to low. If you stop, then press and hold to start the ramping, it will continue down, until it hits the low. It strobes, then will start back up again.
Thanks - that's exactly what I was worried about. So if you overshoot slightly, you can't change direction - you have to go all the way down and back up again ? That sounds really annoying.

THe ramping, for example will start on high . . .
Does it always start from high, even if you have it previously set to a middle level ?