looking for an area light

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a close quarters area task light. something that I can use while working under the dash of a car, under the sink, etc. it needs to be small and very floody, not too bright as it will be used very close to my face. I think something like this would work.

http://www.baycoproducts.com/industrial/NSP-1200Series.html

but I don't want the typical white/blue leds. something with a more warm color that will not hurt the eyes and will give better color rendition. any ideas?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2 with a Malkoff M60WLL. The nirolon will stay warm in the winter and is easier on the teeth. Plus, it resists chemicals and the like and should be easy to keep clean. Plus, 8 hours of solid runtime! (i.e. no drop in output)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Zebralight SC51Fw - ClickHere
It's a single AA flood light with a neutral color LED, and an incredible UI (a CPF favorite.)

LED: Cree XP-G Neutral White (color temperature 4200K)
User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.

Light Output
  • High: H1 164 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 82 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 115 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
  • Medium: M1 25 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 6.5 Lm (39 hrs)
  • Low: L1 2.0Lm (3 days) or L2 0.16 Lm (16 days)
  • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Try an E-series Surefire with a neutral Veleno drop-in. The Veleno neutrals are real nice, you'd swear they were incandescent. Nice natural color renditions.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this the no reflector one jorn was talking about or do you simply take out the reflector?

Jorn is recommending a CPF top pick for a headlamp - the H501w - and is a good call....great call.

Zebralight only makes their "flashlights" with reflectors though, and if you want the "flashlight" to be a flood light then your only choice is one with a frosted lense. If you want a zebralight with no reflector then you have to go with the "headlamp" not a "flashlight".

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a zebralight "flashlight". Noticed a nice sale on the older xp-e models popped up today, had to grab a neutral xp-e :)

Imon

Enlightened
Well, it looks like you already bought a flashlight. What model ZL is it? Some of the Zebralights have (shallow textured) reflectors and therefore generate a bit of a hotspot.
I was going to recommend the Fenix E05. Personally I think it suits your purposes perfectly - it's not too bright, floody, single mode, small, and the best thing is they're cheap (around $20, I bought one in the CPFMP for $15). It's a twisty though but not a big deal since the light is so small you can operate it single-handedly.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it looks like you already bought a flashlight. What model ZL is it? Some of the Zebralights have (shallow textured) reflectors and therefore generate a bit of a hotspot.
I was going to recommend the Fenix E05. Personally I think it suits your purposes perfectly - it's not too bright, floody, single mode, small, and the best thing is they're cheap (around $20, I bought one in the CPFMP for $15). It's a twisty though but not a big deal since the light is so small you can operate it single-handedly.

That was Jorn that bought a ZL....not the OP. So there's still time.

AaronG

Enlightened
Some really good options suggested here. I have the zebralight H51F. It's a great light but the H501 or H501w would give more flood at extreme close-up.

I bought my Dad a Fenix E05 and he really likes it. For around $20 it's super compact and gives a floody beam for a small hand held light. That being said I think I'm winning him over to a headlamp :devil:

DarthBurger

Newly Enlightened
You might want to consider the TerraLUX FlareStar LED emergency flare or one of its clones. It's currently selling for $6.95 at Battery Junction and comes in either red LED or amber LED. You'd probably prefer the amber one for general use. The flare has both a flashing mode (for emergencies) and a steady-on mode (for everything else). I like the fact that it has a magnetic base that you can stick to anything with a metallic suface: side of car, hunder the hood, on the fridge during a power outage, even your chandelier. I have the FlareAlert variation of the light and love its usefulness.

flarealertamber160.jpg

Flashlight Review of FlareAlert: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/keystone_flarealert.htm

Battery Junction Sale: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tefltl30lede.html

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I find my ZL H501 (cool white, not neutral) to be the best by far "work lamp" of all my lights. The even, all flood beam is perfect for close-up work (and reading). The thread about ZL mods also has some great ideas for making your ZL even more versatile.

The tint of the std H501 is easy on my eyes and has good colour rendition, so you may not need to go to the H501W version.

The H501/H501W is a very popular light here on CPF because it is an excellent light, I even bought a spare .....

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Romisen RC29-II, a 1xAA focusable light. But not the standard model: Get the one sold with a warm LED (5C tint) from Shiningbeam. From 1 meter away, it will project a 1.2-meter circle. That's wide.
Unfortunately, Shingbeam no longer offers the warm white version. But if you're willing to use CR123 cells--or can get a hold of Romisen's 2AA adapter--the same beam can be found in his RC-C6 II WW.