Surefire 6P - HA III / Weaponlight question

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
Why does Surefire not anodize the 6P with HA III? I love the stock Surefire anodizing on the C2 and I really wish they would use it on the 6P. Would make a great finish for a weaponlight. I know Overready anodizes them in HA III but it's very expensive and doesn't look as good as the factory C2 finish in my opinion. No offense guys!

I was originally going to build up a C2 to use as P60 host but now I'm changing my mind because I'd rather have something that I could use as a weaponlight if I want. Does anyone make a good weaponlight?

My dream P60 host would be:
Anodized in HA III
Bored to accept 18mm cells but also primaries if necessary
Fits one 18650 but also has an available extender to run two 18500s if necessary
Has different tailcap options such as a clicky, momentary on clicky/twist on and a high/low
Weapon mountable (basically a 1" OD body)

Why does nobody make the perfect flashlight!? :nana:

I have come close with three different setups but nothing is quite right.

The Elzetta is good except that it is limited to Malkoff modules only and nobody bores it to accept 18mm cells. Don't get me wrong, I love Gene's module's but it's nice to have the ability to run other drop ins if you want to. There is also no extension available but a 3 - cell body isn't too expensive.

The Surefire 6P is great except for the anodizing. It has an extension (A19) as well. It is also bored pretty commonly. One thing that sucks is the lack of a high/low tailcap. That would be nice to have for Gene's drop ins. Especially the M91!

I've also thought about an Overready/Surefire combo. I like the cell tubes (TL 65 and TL 100) but holy cow are they expensive especially after the P60 bezel adapter. Once again I run into my problem of the lack of a high/low tailcap though. Also matching anodizing might be a problem, but that's very minor.

I guess I'll stop ranting now... Sorry about that! I've just been researching like crazy for months now and still haven't come to a conclusion as to what I want to buy!

Oh and lovecpf

Stuart

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Why does Surefire not anodize the 6P with HA III?

SF makes lights for 2 separate markets:

Tactical police
Tactical military​

With few exceptions, police models get type II black
With few exceptions, military models get type III gray

The only model that crosses this line well enough to be available in both finishes are the C2 and C3. Z2's, 6P's, and 9P's are considered police lights and are only offered in type II.

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clearing that up! I really wish they would offer a 6P in type III gray though.

Also, as long as you're here I have a question for you. Will you ever offer an adapter for your cell tubes to fit an M3 head? I keep trying to stay from them because I know my wallet will be hurting but you really do offer a nice product. The more I think about it the more I think I have to go the Overready route!

BBL

Enlightened
I always wondered the same. Honestly, its ridiculous to offer a light at that price with a maglite-class finish.

Heavertron

Newly Enlightened
I have been waiting for Oveready to have a bored 6p in stock for a while now. It would be really great to have a rough e.t.a I suspect a lot of focus and energy of late went into the Moddoolar launch.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Will you ever offer an adapter for your cell tubes to fit an M3 head?

The hope is to develop adapters for as many things as are practical. An M series adapter is planned.

I always wondered the same. Honestly, its ridiculous to offer a light at that price with a maglite-class finish.

Just as there are different thicknesses and qualities of type III, so to there are different thicknesses and qualities of type II. I've seen type 3's not hold up as well as SF type II.

I have been waiting for Oveready to have a bored 6p in stock for a while now. It would be really great to have a rough e.t.a I suspect a lot of focus and energy of late went into the Moddoolar launch.

Yeah that, and some supply issues. Mostly its just that modifications are very time consuming and we are much busier than last year.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
With few exceptions, police models get type II black
With few exceptions, military models get type III gray
What is the difference between a military flashlight and a police flashlight? Isn't the way the light is used the same? And what has the anodizing to do with usage?
The only model that crosses this line well enough to be available in both finishes are the C2 and C3. Z2's, 6P's, and 9P's are considered police lights and are only offered in type II.
What qualifies the C2 to be also a military light and the Z2 not? I'm really interested in that, is there some place where this is written down more detailed? Thank you!

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
I am aware of the L2P but I just can't bring myself to trust a cheap chinese host as a weaponlight.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready 6P HAIII, of course bored for 18650s, clicky in the tail

1186291049_9kzmX-M.jpg

1186290938_xQvcY-M.jpg

Quad XP-G neutral running at 5.6A

Yeah it's a beautiful light, very impressive. Pairs very very well with Oveready M2-50

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
Now you're swaying me back the other way! That anodizing looks really nice. Is it black HA?

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I am aware of the L2P but I just can't bring myself to trust a cheap chinese host as a weaponlight.

Meh. Just grab one of electronguru's L2-S7 McClickie's and you're set...unless you need a tape switch. They aren't that different-the interior dimentions are a little bigger, but kerebros makes 2.8 amp L2P triples.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
OK, I don't want to sound negative, but why is there such an obsession with HA III? Does aluminum corrode really quickly in the environment that you're using it? I personally could care less if the light looks "used" even within a day of carry. I say remove the HA III component from your list of needs and it becomes a lot more simple.

Edit: Buy a Solarforce, get a good clicky, and move on. You'll be happy unless you really want your flashlight to stay looking brand new. I think a few battle wounds just make a flashlight look cool anyway.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
What is the difference between a military flashlight and a police flashlight? Isn't the way the light is used the same? And what has the anodizing to do with usage? What qualifies the C2 to be also a military light and the Z2 not? I'm really interested in that, is there some place where this is written down more detailed? Thank you!

It feels a bit arbitrary, but there are practical considerations as well. Police tend to use handguns as their primary weapon. The Rogers grip for which the Z2 is designed, goes best with a handgun. Military tend to use rifles as their primary weapon, for which there are a variety of weapon mounted lights, leaving any small handlight as 'secondary.'

But even so, that still leaves the question of why wouldn't police want a tougher finish too? I'm not privy to any internal decision making at SF (past or current) but if type II is shown as their 'standard' finish, it makes it easier to charge more a special finish. Which would makes sense, provided military sales cover more of their revenue than police sales.

why is there such an obsession with HA III? Does aluminum corrode really quickly in the environment that you're using it?

Actually, anodization is a form of rust/corrosion. In theory, damage to the shell will 'heal over' on its own.

Your question is actually a broader one. Why do folks want their stuff to stay looking nice? My personal experience is that people have a fundamental fear of decay and damage reminds us of that.

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
If the HA/Type III is best suited for the military, why do the executive-series lights come with HA?
If regular anodizing is ok for law enforcement, why do the 6PX lights come with hard anodize?

And i wont even ask why is the 6PX cheaper than the 6P... surefire has no logic in their product lineup.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The logic will be applied when they elevate the prices to these new X models and they will be around 6P, G2 and Z2 LED's with type II. The reason for having these brand new 200 lumen models for $55-75 is hard to figure, probably high executives in Surefire might have an answer. The only logical thing is: testing of the market. These X models are radical turn for Surefire and to be honest, they were probably wondering how the market will accept them. There is nothing about them that is compatible with earlier models. On that rime, there is not much parts that user can change/modify/replace. In terms in Lifetime Warranty that Surefire is super-known, it usually means replacing the whole light in case of failure. I don't have any X model so I'm speculating a little bit. The reason I don't have it even if it's Surefire is, guess, just that... lack of LEGO...
I'm sure that Surefire were proud that their hosts were used for modding in places like CPF but that is for image building. Main profit comes from government agencies and military. I joined flashlight community about 6 months ago and I'm so sad that I missed all those HA models, genuine accessories made by Surefire in the past that is not in production any more.
I found hard to believe that E1E and E2E are offered in BK-HA but not C2 as well, the best host IMHO... why ??? Who knows... C2-HA would not cost any more than C2-HA-BK. I have 4 C2-HA hosts and 2 C2-BK and would hesitate for a second to get 2-3 C2-HA-BK if they are ever offered. It's lucky for all CPF community that Oveready is maintaining Surefire quality so, every now and then, you can get a little modded hosts for pretty decent prices. The only problem is that they are micro-business so the offer is short and long awaiting for certain things. But it's there. Per demand they can make more finishes available in batches.
Everlasting Surefire vs Solarforce question ??? Why bying BMW when you can buy similar quality KIA (KIA IS pretty reliable vehicle, if you do your homework)... it's all about what you want and wish... opinions differ, people are different... if you pick Premium quality cars over cheaper but good brands, then it's common sense to go for the BEST and for PIONEERS in CR123 - Surefire. I have Solarforce hosts. They are good. Would I buy $100 Surefire just for host when I could get L2P for $20 ??? If it's BK-HA, C2, YES !!! You want cheaper light, but GOOD, go with Solarforce and NB drop in. Want expensive light, similar output but MORE RELIABLE and AWESOME, go with Surefire and Malkoff or Moddoo dropin. BMW is expensive ??? Go with KIA... I drive Opel and am happy. Would pay $150 for single mode high output dropin ??? YES !!!

xed888

Enlightened
The logic will be applied when they elevate the prices to these new X models and they will be around 6P, G2 and Z2 LED's with type II. The reason for having these brand new 200 lumen models for $55-75 is hard to figure, probably high executives in Surefire might have an answer. The only logical thing is: testing of the market. These X models are radical turn for Surefire and to be honest, they were probably wondering how the market will accept them. There is nothing about them that is compatible with earlier models. On that rime, there is not much parts that user can change/modify/replace. In terms in Lifetime Warranty that Surefire is super-known, it usually means replacing the whole light in case of failure. I don't have any X model so I'm speculating a little bit. The reason I don't have it even if it's Surefire is, guess, just that... lack of LEGO...
I'm sure that Surefire were proud that their hosts were used for modding in places like CPF but that is for image building. Main profit comes from government agencies and military. I joined flashlight community about 6 months ago and I'm so sad that I missed all those HA models, genuine accessories made by Surefire in the past that is not in production any more.
I found hard to believe that E1E and E2E are offered in BK-HA but not C2 as well, the best host IMHO... why ??? Who knows... C2-HA would not cost any more than C2-HA-BK. I have 4 C2-HA hosts and 2 C2-BK and would hesitate for a second to get 2-3 C2-HA-BK if they are ever offered. It's lucky for all CPF community that Oveready is maintaining Surefire quality so, every now and then, you can get a little modded hosts for pretty decent prices. The only problem is that they are micro-business so the offer is short and long awaiting for certain things. But it's there. Per demand they can make more finishes available in batches.
Everlasting Surefire vs Solarforce question ??? Why bying BMW when you can buy similar quality KIA (KIA IS pretty reliable vehicle, if you do your homework)... it's all about what you want and wish... opinions differ, people are different... if you pick Premium quality cars over cheaper but good brands, then it's common sense to go for the BEST and for PIONEERS in CR123 - Surefire. I have Solarforce hosts. They are good. Would I buy $100 Surefire just for host when I could get L2P for $20 ??? If it's BK-HA, C2, YES !!! You want cheaper light, but GOOD, go with Solarforce and NB drop in. Want expensive light, similar output but MORE RELIABLE and AWESOME, go with Surefire and Malkoff or Moddoo dropin. BMW is expensive ??? Go with KIA... I drive Opel and am happy. Would pay $150 for single mode high output dropin ??? YES !!!

Nailbender drop-ins are one of the best around, so I disagree with your comparison. A better one would be Kaidomain drop-ins or Solarforce ones.