Survival TV shows

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I was watching one of these new Survival TV shows. I never caught the name of the show as I tuned in late. Two guys on a deserted island etc.

One guy was starting a fire by means of a spot light reflector (about 4 to 6 inches in diameter). He removed the reflector and aimed towards the bright sun. Where the bulb would be inserted at the bottom he inserted the dried grass that he was trying to ignite to start a fire.
Needless to say it worked. I may have seen this before but it's just a good reminder of what we can do if you have a decent EDC and no matches or magnifying glass. I suppose the larger-the-reflector, the sooner the fire takes place.

Then there was the old task of using a 9VDC battery on steel wool from another show. I think she used more steel wool than was required when you consider in survival one would conserve and make things last. Still a great concept.

Some of these are no brainers but until you use them or need them we may all tend to forget these skills.

Does anyone have any other suggestion about using a flashlight for survival?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use the "arc" from a busted bulb to help start a fire.

But, other than that, a QUALITY Flashlight in itself is an essential survival tool.

Starting fires...I always liked Vaseline soaked cotton-balls in film canisters...excellent fire starters!

Dipping matches in wax...

As far as packing steel wool/9-Volt battery, if it's a dedicated fire source, make sure you grab one of the Lithium 9-Volts (10 year shelf life and operates at better temps, etc.)

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
It was probably Dual Survival with Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin.

That trick probably doesn't work so well with anything smaller than a Mag-lite size reflector.