TV

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The issue I have with Samsung is they go super cheap on HDMI ports on their non high end sets. 2 HDMI vs 3-4 HDMI for other tv sets costing a lot less.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue I have with Samsung is they go super cheap on HDMI ports on their non high end sets. 2 HDMI vs 3-4 HDMI for other tv sets costing a lot less.
Why do you think that is? I can't imagine it costs that much for a HDMI port.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Why do you think that is? I can't imagine it costs that much for a HDMI port.

I have no clue probably to line their pockets with another 79 cents or something. All the other TVs 50 inches and over have at least 3 HDMI ports but the more expensive low end Samsungs have just 2.
Even the low end TCL and Hisense TVs have 3 HDMI ports. My 24 inch Insignia has 2 HDMI ports on it which is a little rare for sets that small back in its time a lot of 32 inch TV sets only had 1 HDMI. I would love to see 5 HDMI ports on a tv set so I could hook up a second blu-ray player or another maybe a media player or when they do come down in price a ATSC3.0 tuner/recorder.

Previous had a 51" samsung 3d TV , then when knocked through and made the dining/living room one, widened the chimney breast a few ". So 55" 4k samsung i put up a few weeks back.Had samsung for the last 3 , never had an issue so so far just carried on with that manufacturer.

The remodel turned out smashing. Oh yeah, Baby!

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how things will pan out but for now Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision at all but LG and Vizio do that I know of
Interesting, wasn't aware of Dolby vision not being on Samsung. My LG supports it which is weird considering the Samsung costed almost double the price.

ven

Flashaholic

Not sure on this, the one I have had 2 on rear and 2 on side . I use 2, TV box and PS4.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Interesting, wasn't aware of Dolby vision not being on Samsung. My LG supports it which is weird considering the Samsung costed almost double the price.
Samsung and a few others didn't want to pay Dolby royalties for DV so they came up with HDR 10 and HDR10+ I believe. I've not studied in depth HDR tech (DV included) but know it has to do with High Dynamic Range or increased color depth (more colors) and other things.
The DV and HDR "wars" may either be both are supported or something like Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD happens.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure on this, the one I have had 2 on rear and 2 on side . I use 2, TV box and PS4.
Either you have a high end set or the fact that your tv is made for a different country they don't go as cheap on things.
Over here the low to mid range tv sets have 2 (samsung and smaller sets) 3 (mid size and low to medium range sets) and 4 on medium high to high end sets. I've seen in the past some very large expensive sets had 5 HDMI but as prices come down there seems to be HDMI ports dropped. Basically if you pay about $50-$100 more than the low end set of a brand there is an increased change of an add additional HDMI port. I think the 2 x 2 format (2 bottom 2 side) is common on those with 4 ports.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi Lynx, defo not high end TV, I think it was about £500 ish. So not sure in dollars , maybe $650-$700 ish. I don't really do latest and greatest , rather get a good deal on last year model!
But then everything in UK seems more expensive anyway. From when I have been over to the states (only twice but love the place), what you pay in $ tends to be what we pay in £s UK side. So something that is $100 is £100 for same item, which is $130 ish if makes sense .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In the price range here where Samsung TVs start having 3 HDMI ports other manufacturers sets have 4 or even 5 of them.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samsung and a few others didn't want to pay Dolby royalties for DV so they came up with HDR 10 and HDR10+ I believe. I've not studied in depth HDR tech (DV included) but know it has to do with High Dynamic Range or increased color depth (more colors) and other things.
The DV and HDR "wars" may either be both are supported or something like Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD happens.
Between hdr10 and Dolby vision, I like HDR better. To my eyes the color seems deeper, brighter, and more Rich.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Between hdr10 and Dolby vision, I like HDR better. To my eyes the color seems deeper, brighter, and more Rich.

I'm guessing neither of them are maxed out on what they can do with the limited hardware of today's sets.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing neither of them are maxed out on what they can do with the limited hardware of today's sets.
That's probably true, now when a fire up a 4k movie on my short throw that's where things start to come to life. The quality surpasses my TV's.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That's probably true, now when a fire up a 4k movie on my short throw that's where things start to come to life. The quality surpasses my TV's.
I haven't checked projector technology for awhile when I last did, it was too expensive for LED projectors in the 3000 lumen range compared to a $400 or so 55 inch screen tv set.