My old SF incans need help!

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
Per the advice I got from this forum, I got some AW 17500's and a Pila IBC so I could run my old school '98 SureFire 9P without paying $8 per hour to run it! :shakehead

I haven't run this thing in quite awhile because it was just too expensive. I got some ebay rcr123's so I could run my E2DL guilt free, but I couldn't use them in my incan's. (Ask me how I know! I'll get to that next)

Anyway, the 9P just doesn't have as much output as I'd expect from a light that uses 3 cr123's. Luckily, I can run the AW 17500's in it with no mods so it will be cheap to run, but I'm just not liking the output. The tint is nice and warm, but seems a little yellow. It is also an odd shape.

Next, there is my original incan E2D. Like a moron, before I got on this forum, I got some ebay rcr123's thinking I could use them in my SureFires. Well, I instaflashed my E2D. Now, that was a while ago, and from what I remember, it was fairly bright. Not as bright as my E2DL, but seemed pretty bright.

So, I get the EO-E2R from Lumens factory. I also got some AW rcr123's and an AW 17670 as well. The EO-E2R runs fine on the AW 123's, but is yellow and low output on the 17670. But, the output just doesn't knock my socks off. At the time I ordered it, I didn't know much about IMR cells, so I ignored the other lamp options. Now, I'm kinda wishing I got the IMR 123 cells and the IMR lamp. The IMR lamp is rated 350 lumens as opposed to the EO-E2R's 150. I don't care if the run time is lower. It will only be used in short bursts anyway.

An odd observation- my older E2D incan tube fits the 17670, but the newer one does not. Luckily, I can use the E2DL head with that tube to run the 17670 with the LED head. Good thing they lego no problem.

What mods have you guys made to these lights that you liked? What really knocked your socks off?

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My E2E with VME Head by Malkoff and an M61 drop-in has an honest 260 Lumens (OTF) , a gorgeous beam with a very attractive tint and with the M61W.
a few less lumens, a warm tint (about 4,200K.) and that tint is simply WOW!

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
My E2E with VME Head by Malkoff and an M61 drop-in has an honest 260 Lumens (OTF) , a gorgeous beam with a very attractive tint and with the M61W.
a few less lumens, a warm tint (about 4,200K.) and that tint is simply WOW!

Sounds good, how much did it cost?

ASheep

Enlightened
Two words for you mate: Lumens Factory.

The guys at LF have a range of bulbs for Surefires which can support RCR123 (16340) cells.
I run my A2 Aviator with a LF unfrosted bulb and IMR16340 cells, for added brightness and throw, with guilt-free lumens.
My E1e has a single IMR16340 cell, running a Lumens Factory EO-E1R lamp assembly. 90 bulb lumens for about half an hour, it's really white light too.
My E2e either runs the stock Surefire bulb, if I feel like burning $$$ on CR123 cells, or I run it with an LF HO-E2R for 110 bulb lumens for 60+ minutes on two IMR16340s.
I also run a 6P style light with one of their EO-4 modules, for some long runtime on 18650.

If I want some insane output, I go for the IMR-E2 bulb, 350 lumens for 15 minutes, and a wall of glorious incan light! It's a really mind blowing drop-in for a great light.

You can probably tell I'm an incan convert, and I do love my LF modules!

A bit of advice though, if you're going to be running High output Incans, get yourself some quality cells, cheaper cells often can't handle higher current draw. :poof:

Hope this helps,
Alex

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I did get the Lumens factory "Extreme" output for the E2D, and I wouldn't exactly call it "extreme". As far as cells go, I got the AW protected li ions, which are supposed to be the best. I also got what is supposed to be the best charger too. The Pila IBC.

Maybe I need to go to IMR cells and get the one that's rated 350 lumens.

As for the 9P, I suspect I'm gonna have to go LED to get the output I really want. Oh well. I'll see how my E2D & 9P goes in real life use for a while before I decide what to get.

These are just tiding me over until I get a custom Ti pocket light anyway! :naughty: Probably a Mac Tri EDC. Maybe an oveready modoolar pocket triple. I'm still investigating those.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff M61W or even the M61WL are definately worth looking at! Malkoff M61s are not cheap and won't throw quite as well as the stock lamp but they offer improvements in runtime and output.Just like Sparky's Magic said the tint on the W models is very good!

srfreddy

Enlightened
This is in the incan section, so, I'm going to say, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of bulb life, go with the Surefire P91 dropin with two 17500's in your 9P.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I recently bought the IMR-E2 after using the EO-E2R for several months. It is significantly brighter than the EO-E2R, and the beam pattern is great - a big, round hotspot with nice spill.

You might want to try the EO-9 in your 9P. It's not quite as bright as the P91, but it should still be pretty impressive. Also, it is easier on the bulb and batteries to run an EO-9 than a P91. I plan to try this bulb at some point in my G3.

You may find these beamshots, which include the EO-E2R, P90, P91, and EO-9, helpful.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The P91 is MUCH whiter on two Li-ion than on 3 CR123: It relies on the voltage drop of CR123's under load to run, and Li-ion don't drop as much, so it burns much whiter.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that you can't run the IMR-E2 on the stock E2D clicky switch, you'll need to use a twisty like the Z52, because the E-series clicky switches cannot handle the current.

You'll probably be okay with a black McClicky switch as well, as I think they are rated up to 3 amps, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the EO-9 from Lumens factory with 2 X 17670 AW batteries. It is bright, not stellar, but bright with good runtime. I'm pleased with mine.