Anyone tried a Q-Mini AA with a Titanium Innovations 14505 in it?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the small size of the Q-Mini AA light for the 1xAA class.
I know it can handle the 14500, but I prefer to use primaries.
I just recently found out about these Titanium Innovations 3v Lithium primaries called 14505, with 1500mah capacity.
They sound like a good battery option for me in a single AA light like the Q-Mini AA.
Battery Junction says they can handle up to an amp of continuous output current, and that seems suitable for these small lights with XP-G emitters.

Anybody got any observations about output and runtime with the Q-Mini AA on this battery type?
Or any other very small AA light with these batteries?

My aim is to get the smallest size light in AA, with a similar output and runtime as a 2xAA light.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
I've used those batteries in the very similar Maratac AA and they work fine. Maratac, the small ITPs and the Q-Minis are essentially the same lights. The low and medium modes are retained, and on high the output is similar to the ITP A1 EOS with CR123A. Of course it gets warmer than with eneloops, but about the same as the A1 EOS. The 14505's are essentially CR123A's in AA form factor so I would expect similar runtimes.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
Actually, with the prices of CR123A's available from online sources, I don't see the advantage of going to 14505's unless you already have a AA light, or just want flexibility in your battery choices. I've used Titanium Innovations CR123A from Battery Junction and they work just fine and cost $1 each or less in quantity. For $1.50 or less they also have Panasonic CR123A. Something to think about if you're still deciding about what to get.

pobox1475

Enlightened
My aim is to get the smallest size light in AA, with a similar output and runtime as a 2xAA light.
I use an Eneloop in my Ti Q-AA with adequate of output. A Lithium Energizer is kept in EDB in case I ever have a need for an extended lighting session and don't have another light with me. I initially tried a Li-Ion but decided that made no sense since high was only safely used for short periods. If you must have big output from a small light get an AA JetBeam or single 123 light and run AW's with a primary back-up.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the recommendations for using a 123 light, but I already have some nice ones in 123.

My aim with this light is a low-cost emergency light, in case I run short of CR123 batteries, and can only get AA batteries at the local store.
This way, I can use it with high output with the 14505 during normal times when I want to do that, but can still default to a lower output with a eneloop or L91 or a single alkaline battery if I had to.
Just call it a "want" and not really a "need". I just want to have the bases covered for battery types, and I was lacking an AA light.

I was going to buy a 1xAA light anyway for this emergency purpose, but I found that the typical outputs were not real high, and I don't want a Zebralight. I want more of a budget priced very small light in this battery type. That's why I asked about the Q-Mini AA.
So, when I came across this mention of the 14505, it intrigued me. I thought it would be a way that I could get my emergency 1xAA light, and get CR123 performance out of it with these 14505 batteries when it's not an emergency, and that sounded like a pretty cool idea to me.

I don't like messing around with the rechargeable Lithiums, and I feel alot more comfortable with primaries. And when I saw that the 14505 had twice the storage capacity of the 14500, that sounded real good, and the voltage isn't as high as the 14500 so it won't get as hot but still have an improved output compared with alkalines.
Sounded like it was made for what I want to do.

I appreciate the responses, and I think I'm gonna try this out.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully the TI 14505 goes into volume production, and the price drops! [it is still a better buy than the L91/EA91!]

I am kicking myself for not getting a neutral-white QMini AA, I have the QMini cr123 warm-white.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I'm running my q mini aa ww on these right now. Amazing output and the option to use eneloops. It gets a little warmer but using a "handsink" grip can be ran continuously on high. I'm guessing 150 lumens? With an xpg q4 7a(?), not bad! And I can use eneloops!
also the mini aa is a great light to toss in a pocket.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I'm running my q mini aa ww on these right now. Amazing output and the option to use eneloops. It gets a little warmer but using a "handsink" grip can be ran continuously on high. I'm guessing 150 lumens? With an xpg q4 7a(?), not bad! And I can use eneloops!
also the mini aa is a great light to toss in a pocket.
Q5!
150 lumens is about right.