Helmet light for off Road riding

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
Hi i have been looking for a light to helmet mount to give more power than the Fenix LD20 i currently use. I like the look of the Exposure joystick mk5 but this is a little too expensive. I also like the look of a Fenix PD31 but this appears to be limited edition.

It seems the single 18650 light is the way to go for form power and duration and i have seen Trustfire TR-801 on ebay claiming 300 lm but cant be sure these are true as the price is very cheap. Do they really offer this sort of power?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Shining Beam S-mini?
18650 or 2xcr123; xp-g 24, 400, 1000mA drive levels.

pe2er

Enlightened
How about a Magicshine MJ-808/ CT-808? As long as you charge the batteries somewhere outside you should be safe, and it still gives a lot of light for the money :D
sku294891.jpg

If you are overly worried about batteries catching fire, buy an Eastward YJ-E02 HRC20-30MN MC-E 3-Mode 800-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (4*18650)
This light is similar, but has a x18650 battery holder you can fill with your own protected cells :)
sku509466.jpg

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off road biking (at least fast riding) requires a little more throw than a small reflector can give you. The same LED and output of your LD20 in a larger optic or reflector will give you a more useful beam with more throw down the trail and help you pick out trail details to pick your line around small stumps and the like better. Put your LD20 on the handlebar to complement a helmet light that has more throw. And try Neutral LEDs. Given the choice, I will never use cool tint LEDs for MTB after seeing how neutral looks on the trail with the added definition and depth.
The CT-80 is good for the money, I got one and it has decent throw, but I used it on the bars the one time I used it last year, and am swapping in a neutral LED before I use it this year.
I prefer throwy optics for my helmet light in combination with a floodier bar light. I have used a Malkoff M60w (needs a touch more throw), a SureFire L1 gen2 with Direct drive K2 TFFC neutral, and a SureFire KX1 modded for 1Amp with a neutral XR-E which is just about right.

You probably want something with at least a 1 inch (25mm) reflector, and even bigger if you get a large die LED in it like an XM-L. Make sure the spot is not too small like in the really large reflector XR-E thrower lights - you want to see the while trail, not just the ant in the middle of it.

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
Some good points there i am looking for a light to compliment my existing bar light which is an exposure 6 pack which has massive output but is fixed to the bars