Fenix? Eagletac? 4Sevens? UltraFire? Too many choices! XM-L lights recommendation...

ganymede

Enlightened
Guys,

Just joined this wonderful forum and hello to everyone here!

I am looking for a 18650x1/2xCR123 medium head CREE XM-L light with a budget of $150, so far the following models have caught my eyes:

Fenix TK21
4Sevens Maelstrom X7
4Sevens Quark 123 Turbo X
Lumintop TD15X
Eagletac T20C2 MKII
UltraFire C8 XM-L

The list is not exhaustive and I am looking for something that is reliable and durable, any recommendations?

Should I consider also XR-E or XP-G lights?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix? Eagletec? 4Sevens? UltraFire? Too many choices! XM-L lights recommendation

I would not lump UltraFire in with Fenix, 4sevens and Eagletac. Unless something's changed recently, they don't make very reliable lights...

Warp

Enlightened
Re: Fenix? Eagletec? 4Sevens? UltraFire? Too many choices! XM-L lights recommendation

Guys,

Just joined this wonderful forum and hello to everyone here!

I am looking for a 18650x1/2xCR123 medium head CREE XM-L light with a budget of $150, so far the following models have caught my eyes:

Fenix TK21
4Sevens Maelstrom X7
Lumintop TD15X
Eagletec T20C2 MKII
UltraFire C8 XM-L

The list is not exhaustive and I am looking for something that is reliable and durable, any recommendations?

Should I consider also XR-E or XP-G lights?

Many thanks in advance.

Define medium head. I am shopping for the same basic thing but the 4sevens turbo X and maelstrom have a 1.5" head. That just seems...huge. (I intend to pocket carry) The ~1.3" of the Eagletac T20C2 seems much more reasonable.

Last edited:

ganymede

Enlightened

Define medium head. I am shopping for the same basic thing but the 4sevens turbo X and maelstrom have a 1.5" head. That just seems...huge. (I intend to pocket carry) The ~1.3" of the Eagletac T20C2 seems much more reasonable.

1.5" is fine with me, any recommendations? Thanks!

ganymede

Enlightened

I would not lump UltraFire in with Fenix, 4sevens and Eagletac. Unless something's changed recently, they don't make very reliable lights...

Thanks, any recommendations?

BIGLOU

Enlightened

With $150 toss out all them lights and get a Nailbender XML on an 18650'd 6P with a McClicky and call it a day. Reliable and durable.

ganymede

Enlightened

With $150 toss out all them lights and get a Nailbender XML on an 18650'd 6P with a McClicky and call it a day. Reliable and durable.

How about I revise my budget to less than $100, any recommendation? Thanks!

GeetarHero

Newly Enlightened

Could not agree with you more BIGLOU!!!! That would be an EXCELLENT set-up! To the OP, no disrespect intended but did you understand everything that BIGLOU mentioned? I can't assume that you are new to lights but I only ask because you are new to the forums. Good luck and let us know what you decide! BTW, welcome to CPF!!!

ganymede

Enlightened

Could not agree with you more BIGLOU!!!! That would be an EXCELLENT set-up! To the OP, no disrespect intended but did you understand everything that BIGLOU mentioned? I can't assume that you are new to lights but I only ask because you are new to the forums. Good luck and let us know what you decide! BTW, welcome to CPF!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am new to CPF but I have been reading up a lot on lights, I am still learning. :sssh:

Yes, I understand what he is saying but I prefer stock where possible... :grin2:

mrlysle

Enlightened

The lego mentioned above would be super! But if you want a "factory" boxed job, look real hard at the ET T20C2 MK II. The new XM-L module is 580 ansi! I bought the "older" model and it's still rated 430 ansi lumens. What's nice about the ET is all the ET made user changeable "drop-ins" available for it, including the new HO XM-L module which I just got to upgrade my "old" model, to the "new" model. Less than 30 bucks for the drop-in. I also have the XR-E and Q4 neutral drop-ins and can honestly say I'm pretty inpressed by all of them. The XR-E throws pretty good and that neutral makes me smile like my Zebralight SC60w. They're different tints, sure, but that neutral drop in makes beautiful light! As LED's continue to improve and evolve, you'll be able to buy a drop in made just for your light and upgrade it, and every drop in I've bought so far were right around 28 bucks. The ET is very well built with some nice accessories. Seriously worth it IMO. Good luck with your decision.

Nicrod

Flashaholic

How about I revise my budget to less than $100, any recommendation? Thanks!

My .02¢.... I'm a big fan Of 4sevens. And with a budget of $100, u could get
For example: a quark AA light-$60, a 123 body-$20, and AA2 body-$20. $100 total
For all that and you essentially have 3 different lights. You have different batt options
As well as runtime, lumen, varietys. A great value IMO. But I'm just a 4sevens nut I guess.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

For just over $100 -- edit using discount code cpf8 as a candlepower forums member you get an 8 percent discount off the list price bringing it down to just a couple of dollars over 100 -- you could get a Fenix TK35. Now, they run on 2 x 18650's of course, but they're still compact, and 820 (ANSI) lumens, whaaaaat! I am stoked with mine. I can't think of a better XM-L light my money could buy for just over $100...

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
But dropins have poor thermal transfer, no matter how you look at it. TK35 is much better in terms of reliability.

vickers214

Enlightened
Some fine lights to choose from there, and I had to laugh about the ultrafire OK if your on a budget or just want a look at the latest LED etc but not even close to the others mentioned in quality, and the ultrafire XM-L i tried had a very obvious Violet outer ring, Yellow inner ring and white centre to the light, very odd!

I have the ET T20 Mk2 XM-l regular 480ANSI model, I never even realised there was a Turbo version XML, but thats because of the drop ins i dont need to buy any more torches, what ever i want i just swap them out so ive stopped hanging around here so much.

The T20 is my biking light and plenty bright and if the road surface is light it can even be a bit blinding to be fair, it truely is a very impressive item and lights up everything for as far as you can see to make out detail, and the R5 drop in even further, the R2 was hugely dissapointing.
I also have the P10c2 Mk2 for work, another fine light and a lot more pocketable, but only takes 17650 so run time is down.

the tints on all of my ET's have been pure white, not a hint of any other colour, which if you look around on here some of the other manufacturers (quaility ones included) cant really boast about, with some models regulaly being refered to as Hulk Green!!!!!!!!!! so be carefull.

The TK 35 is one heck of a light for output, and if you dont mind the extra size, not a pocket light, then give that whirl.

From personal experience Todd at illumination gear is very helpfull and im sure he would offer you some good advice on the ET (like he did me) and he also offers a satisfaction guarantee! let us know what you decide!

ganymede

Enlightened
Haha! I threw in the ultrafire just for the sake of it, I knew it can't compare with those big boys.

To be honest, I have shortlisted:

Fenix TK21
4Sevens Maelstrom X7
Lumintop TD15X
Eagletac T20C2 MKII

All are good lights hence the dilemma in making the final call. :eek:

Some fine lights to choose from there, and I had to laugh about the ultrafire OK if your on a budget or just want a look at the latest LED etc but not even close to the others mentioned in quality, and the ultrafire XM-L i tried had a very obvious Violet outer ring, Yellow inner ring and white centre to the light, very odd!

I have the ET T20 Mk2 XM-l regular 480ANSI model, I never even realised there was a Turbo version XML, but thats because of the drop ins i dont need to buy any more torches, what ever i want i just swap them out so ive stopped hanging around here so much.

The T20 is my biking light and plenty bright and if the road surface is light it can even be a bit blinding to be fair, it truely is a very impressive item and lights up everything for as far as you can see to make out detail, and the R5 drop in even further, the R2 was hugely dissapointing.
I also have the P10c2 Mk2 for work, another fine light and a lot more pocketable, but only takes 17650 so run time is down.

the tints on all of my ET's have been pure white, not a hint of any other colour, which if you look around on here some of the other manufacturers (quaility ones included) cant really boast about, with some models regulaly being refered to as Hulk Green!!!!!!!!!! so be carefull.

The TK 35 is one heck of a light for output, and if you dont mind the extra size, not a pocket light, then give that whirl.

From personal experience Todd at illumination gear is very helpfull and im sure he would offer you some good advice on the ET (like he did me) and he also offers a satisfaction guarantee! let us know what you decide!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have a whole bunch of lights for a whole bunch of purposes, including some 1x18650 custom Surefires. But the Eagletac T20C2Mk2 is simply the best 1x18650 light under $100. Remarkable power, compact, great UI, great cigar grip, solid build, great holster included... You just couldn't ask for more without spending A LOT more.