First EDC Light: Research Done but Advice and Recommendations Needed

gillagorilla

Newly Enlightened
I did hours of researching and looking up tons of different models from various companies. I read a faq by carrot that I was directed to via edcforums that was associated here. I was surprised by how many high end flashlight companies there are and how much variety there is. I went all through Fenix, Surefire, HDS, Nitecore, Zebralights and 4Sevens product lineups. I would be using this around the house, reading at night, and during hiking/camping trips. During the week, it will be in my school messenger bag until I get my EDC bag. I am stuck on what kind of light I prefer. I would say medium spread. I don't want a spotlight, but I do want some flood, so I don't have to wave it around to see everything.

My Budget is sub $100, but ideally around $60.
I would like max length of about 5in., but ideally around 3-4in..
LED, Light/Med. Light, Very Durable, Metal, IPX-8 cert., Type III Anondize, also hopefully over 200 lumens.

Not sure what switch system I prefer. I may try some out at REI. I do like the clicky at the back though (especially when it is GITD). However, a switch near the head is ideal as well.

I can learn the UI, but nothing overly complicated.
I can buy any batteries, so those aren't a big deal. I prefer being able to use a variety of batteries, mainly rechargeables (I guess CR123A, 18650, etc...).

I am mainly interested in a nice moonlight or low mode, that provides at least a few days of continuous usage (100+hours). I would say sub 5 lumens ideally.

I also am interested in a variety of modes (i.e. burst output, tactical strobe, emergency strobe signaling and emergency SOS signaling). Primarily strobe, burst, and SOS, but at the least just a strobe is fine.

I want a momentary on and button lock. I really like the Tactical look, with anti-roll bezels. Also, I would like a clip and preferably it be removable.

ANSI Rating would help.

From looking around I realize that everybody loves their HDS and Surefires, but those are a little out of my range and would perhaps come later down the road as my knowledge grows and usage/needs change.

Currently, my favorites are the Quarks, Fenix, and Nitecores (I just love their infinite variability):

fenix ta21 (18650 or 2 CR123A) (12 switches)
fenix pd31 200 hours
fenix tk21 220 hours
fenix ld20 (eh maybe)
fenix tk15 (good deal)

eagletac p20c2 mkII
eagletac t20c2 mkII (was interested in them but probably not going to get)

countycomm maratac lights (sold out?)

nitecore sr3 (interesting magnet mode switcher)
nitecore lniflux series
nitecore d11 (best deal for edc size)
nitecore e11

Quark AA², S2 Edition (53 days moonlight)

I was also looking to buy off of goinggear.com since they seemed to have great review videos, all the companies right there, and excellent prices.

I am really curious as to how everyone feels about the Nitecore's Infinitely Variable Light Brightness system and how well it is.

I would say I am between the Quark AA2, the Nitecore D11, and the Fenix TK15 (a lot of good Fenix). I am not deadset on any of these yet, so give me some advice from previous use and such. I quite like this forum and everyone seems really friendly. Well, thanks for all the help in advance. I can't wait to get one. I am indecisive, especially since I will be spending a lot of money on a flashlight that will last for a really long time. I just want one that I will love.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, gillagorilla. You obviously have done your homework. On your list the only one I know is the new D11.2. I'm very happy with it. The UI is excellent. The E11.2, which I've seen, operates the same, but is brighter, shorter, and has a clip. Another you should consider is the Zebralight SC51 or 51w. Its light touch switching UI is also great.

Good luck in your search.

Geoff

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
If you like the variable brightness control, have a look at the Sunwayman V10R, as well as the Jetbeam RRT-0. I have both of these,but do not have the Nitecore's . I am a fan of the variable brightness ring myself and prefer the Jetbeam because it is brighter. You also have the option of the OP or smooth reflector. Go to the http://goinggear.com site. and have a look at the Jetbeam RRT-0 video review, where they compare all three lights together.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
The only two I have in your list are the LD20 and the TA21. The LD20 is still being made but the TA21 has been discontinued so you'd have to search for a retailer that still has stock. The TA21 is a great light, it's very versatile with the control ring and the XR-E emitter and reflector throw quite well on high mode. It's also built like a tank and has a fairly low "low mode" My only worry about the TA21 control ring is that is is mechanical and uses gears (versus magnetic control rings like JetBeam, SunwayMan, Nitecore etc) and as such is more susceptible to sand/grit ingress in the lube on the gears. Basically a great light but don't use it where sand can get into the ring. You should also check out the JetBeam RRT2 Raptor

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
When I was in a similar predicament, I did some research on LED's, because the lights you mention above have different LED's and beam patterns. I personally found that (in smaller lights), R2's had more throw than R5's, but R5's had more overall lumens, and XM-L's had more lumens than R5, but were more floody, etc...
I personally prefer the XP-G R5's so that narrowed down my choices. Then I chose based on price and UI preference.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Hello, gillagorilla. Out of ur list i prefer the 4sevens as I always do. U can't go wrong. And for $60 their right in ur price range. The tactical version have the forward clicky/momentary on ect.
Then u have the variations of Lego-ing the different configs u can have. You'll have to do the research urself on that. But
I think you'll find just what ur looking for in the quarks. I have 3 and counting! My first good light was a surefire but it was the quarks that got the ball rolling for me and now it's like 4sevens garnishes my paychecks!!!

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
That's a lengthy list to choose from.

Here's the bottom line - you're not gonna be happy with just one light! You'll end up like all of us - with multiple lights. I started out just like you, searching for that one 'perfect' light. But perfection does not exist. However, there are many great lights which will suit many needs.

You mentioned the P20C2 MkII - that's a great light (I have one).

Some of my medium sized lights

-

gillagorilla

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely let you guys now what I choose. I have only told one of my friends about my interest in flashlights and he was flabbergasted by what I was willing to pay. Some people just don't understand.

Chevy - Thanks for the excellent picture, that helps a lot. I will definitely have more than one as time comes.

Thefo - I didn't even think about that aspect of the mechanical TA21. Magnets are definitely the way to go for that. I will look into the jetbeams and sunwaymans.

frost - Thanks for the info on the beam patterns and LEDs. Yeah, I am still learning about LEDs and all.

Flying Turtle - Thanks for the welcome.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendation is going to be for the HDS series and 4sevens Quark series, both have great customer service. The HDS 120 is at the top of your budget, while the Quarks are lower. The HDS has the button lock and customization features that will let you have the light you describe in the OP (except the 200 lumens, which you can get but will cost more). With budget taken into account... I like the Quark AA2 Regular or Tactical. I only own tacticals because I don't want to click through modes I won't use, but if I need them I can reprogram it in 20 seconds. Also the programming is easy and fun. The S2s have had complaints of a green tint, the R5s that I own have very good tint. If you have leftover funds I highly recommend some good rechargeables, here is the new generation eneloop with a charger. You can get a fancier charger later if you want. You can also get a flush switch for $9 dollars if tail standing is important (but flush switch has no momentary function). I recommend cleaning and lubing your light as well, it can make the threads much more smooth and maintain the light (lube thread).

Last edited:

gillagorilla

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam and Sunwayman are great. I also really like Klarus. I am becoming more interested in:

JETBeam JET-III M Military R5 SMO (favorite jetbeam) (leading so far)

sunwayman M20A R5 (favorite sunway)

klarus nt20
klarus st20 (a little long) (limited battery)
klarus xt10 (favorite out of klarus probably)

Anyone have any of these? Is Klarus any good? Also, I am starting to realize that I can utilize accessories. What companies offer the most accessories or whose flashlights are the most customizable? Do accessories cross companies sometimes?

SixM

Newly Enlightened
If you haven't taken a look at the Thrunite Neutron series, consider doing so. These have all the features that I like ( and a lot of your choices) and available in different battery configs, and now tints. I'm a neutral/warm fan and these are available in neutral now. One of these is currently on my next to buy list.

Selfbuilt's excellent review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...C-2C-1A-2A-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

Neutral tints:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...EUTRAL-Catapult-and-Neutron-Versions-IN-STOCK!

flashflood

Enlightened
+1 for Neutron 1A and 1C. On li-ion, it's the brightest thing of its size (450 lumens, roll of pennies).

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Your requirements for the reading and camping uses strongly favor a headlamp. Consider one of the Zebra lights- the current CPF low-cost/high quality choice. For example, right now the H31w is on sale here, leaving you money for a handheld to complete your needs.

Cheers!

gillagorilla

Newly Enlightened
I really know what I'm looking for and what I want has slightly changed. I have narrowed it down to two.

4Sevens Quark AA2
ThruNite Neutron 2A

How necessary is a bezel? That is what is keeping me a bit from the 4Sevens, but I think I might go with the 4Sevens. Anyone want to weigh in on these two lights? So far it seems like 2 for the Quarks and one for the Neutron.

DSS - I will definitely be getting that Zebra, I have wanted a supplementary headlamp and that one can also be used in hand as an EDC as well.

flashflood

Enlightened
I really know what I'm looking for and what I want has slightly changed. I have narrowed it down to two.

4Sevens Quark AA2
ThruNite Neutron 2A

How necessary is a bezel? That is what is keeping me a bit from the 4Sevens, but I think I might go with the 4Sevens. Anyone want to weigh in on these two lights? So far it seems like 2 for the Quarks and one for the Neutron.

DSS - I will definitely be getting that Zebra, I have wanted a supplementary headlamp and that one can also be used in hand as an EDC as well.

Something to contemplate: do you want the 2AA for more power, or for longer run time?

If you're planning to use Alkaline or NiMH AA cells, then the 2-cell format will generally be both brighter and more efficient (because the supply voltage is closer to the LED's forward voltage). However, if you're planning to use 14500 lithium-ion, more cells generally won't make any difference in output because even a single cell exceeds Vf.

If you're more concerned about run time, another option is to get a single-cell light and carry spare batteries.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Thrunite Nuetron series, I got the 1c and the 1a thinking I'd sell the one I don't use :D
Instead I put one in each coat I wear. There incredibly bright for there size, modern emitter XML , take reg or rechargeables. I like em, price tag is $60 for the single cell ones, the two cell lights aren't that much more.
Just a heads up, the Nuetron 1c (cr123 light) does not have a clip. Goodluck on your search.

Oh and if you decide Fenix, I'd go with the newer version of the tk15, the TK21 with XML. It may be a little larger but the extra output is well worth that compromise

gillagorilla

Newly Enlightened
Something to contemplate: do you want the 2AA for more power, or for longer run time?

If you're planning to use Alkaline or NiMH AA cells, then the 2-cell format will generally be both brighter and more efficient (because the supply voltage is closer to the LED's forward voltage). However, if you're planning to use 14500 lithium-ion, more cells generally won't make any difference in output because even a single cell exceeds Vf.

If you're more concerned about run time, another option is to get a single-cell light and carry spare batteries.

I really just want the most bang for my electrical buck. I want to use rechargeables and get the most runtime out of them. I will probably be using the moonlight mode a whole lot. I do not need a ridiculous amount of lumens. I don't really have any batteries now. I don't know much about batteries. I just heard that the Sanyo eneloops are good. That is all.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight H51w is your best bet. It will put out as much light on an Eneloop as most 2xAA lights, can be used as a handheld EDC, headlamp, or can be clipped to a pocket, collar, pack strap etc., and will leave you enough in your budget so you can get a decent charger and some envelops. Once you've got that you can start looking around for a good handheld light. Using an H51 as a handheld may feel a little awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you'll love it.

Get a neutral tint one as they work much better outdoors than cool tint lights, and the Zebralight UI is the best around.

Last edited:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
The Zebralight H51w is your best bet. It will put out as much light on an envelop as most 2xAA lights, can be used as a handheld EDC, headlamp, or can be clipped to a pocket, collar, pack strap etc., and will leave you enough in your budget so you can get a decent charger and some envelops. Once you've got that you can start looking around for a good handheld light. Using an H51 as a handheld may feel a little awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you'll love it.

Get a neutral tint one as they work much better outdoors than cool tint lights, and the Zebralight UI is the best around.

+1:thumbsup:

I definitely agree with B0wz3r regarding the ZebraLight H51w.

It has become my favorite EDC, clipped to my front pocket. It is a very versatile angle light, since you can use it as a headlamp or flashlight. I use mine mostly as a flashlight, but I always have the option to use it hands free when needed by clipping it to myself, or something else. Besides the versatility, another reason I went with the H51w over the SC51w, is because I do not have any accidental activations while clipped to my front pocket.

The UI is fantastic, and one of the best around. It's nice to be able to turn your light on in either low, med, or high from off. The .18 lumen "mood mode" is really nice when you need discreet light at night, and do not want to disturb anyone. The build quality, machining, fit & finish is excellent on mine. :D

The beam is a nice balance of flood and throw. To my eyes the neutral tint is a lot nicer than the cool white, especially outdoors. You can get an idea of the difference for yourself by taking a look at the link below.

http://www.illuminationgear.com/85243.html

The ZebraLight H51w is optimized for AA Eneloops, and puts out more light than most other 1AA lights. When I got my H51w, I also purchased the new 1500 AA Eneloops, and the Maha C9000 charger, and I'm very happy with this setup. http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C9000-Charger-Deluxe-Case-and-Batteries-Included-_p_1002.html.

Overall, I would highly recommend the H51w...

I was also looking to buy off of goinggear.com since they seemed to have great review videos, all the companies right there, and excellent prices.

Marshall and the guys at goinggear.com are really nice to work with. Don't forget to use code ggcpf10 at checkout to get your CPF discount. :)