Calling all TK41 users

Lightman2

Enlightened
Tried getting some good feedback on this TK41 a few have told me to get over the TK40, TK50. Can anyone else give me some decent feedback, someone's who have this light and have taken it through it's paces. Cannot find any review of this light on the review link. Thanks

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is using an emitter that is still new. If you wait a month or two I think you will see reviews of the lights and possible alternative options including better tints, etc. For now here is a thread.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Many thanks Tyjo, I did not realise it was that new. I'll put off any purchases until some feedback starts to roll in.

nosbusa

Newly Enlightened
I get my TK41 Friday. Without many reviews hopefully it's a good one. I'll have to compare it to the TK35, I'll get tomorrow.

nosbusa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Nosbusa ..... let me know.

While I haven't had a chance to take this light through all of its paces. I will say, I like this light very much. It's very bright and has a very long throw. Quite a bit longer throw than the TK35. The tk41 is like a regular flash light compare to the tk35. With the tk35 it's kind of awkward changing the brightness and turning it on and off. The 35 is more of a wider focused beam.

With the tk41, it's more of a regular flash light beam, it's very easy changing the settings with your thumb basically on or near the button all of the time.

I'm a newb when it comes to flashlights, but I will say I highly recommend the tk41. If I had to choose (I have both the 35&41) I would choose the tk41 over the tk35. jmo.

Hope this helps.

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
So tell us what you think about your TK41

I would like to hear from those who have one, what they think, how's the tint? General impressions?

I just received mine and I can tell you with certainty that it is brighter than my E01, and not as bright as the sun. As far as tint goes it is decent. The hotspot is very well defined and even, with a nice white tint (to my eyes) and the spill is a nice maybe a little toward cool white. There is an area between the hotspot and kind of on top of the spill that has very faint rings and has a slight greenish tint. I did not even see this at first and is only noticeable on a white wall. It is nothing like the green that my S2 light has.

I like the UI. I don't have a light with a ring type UI, which I am assuming is a really nice way to go, but this two button UI is much better than my Quarks or the twisty 1,2,3 stuff. I like it as much as my Zebralight UI. I like the memory feature, just makes sense. I'm not thrilled with the battery carrier but it works ok and is a necessary evil as I still like my Eneloops and have not been able to bring myself over to the dark side of lithium (it's just icky). Battery rattle? Good grief I'm not Elmer Fudd quietly sneaking up on a wabbit. (spell check accepted wabbit but not Fudd, go figure) It is smaller than I thought it would be, and the machining is just great as it is on most all the lights we are all interested in.

Man this thing is bright. I was shining it around outside on trees and buildings and was chuckling the whole time, It's chuckle bright! (technical term) It has a smaller hotspot with good throw. I hope the TK70 does not show up with a great introductory price or I will lose what little common sense that I may have left.

I look forward to hearing from others,
Alex

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
Re: So tell us what you think about your TK41

I just received my TK41 yesterday. Beautiful machining.

....but I don't have any batteries for it. I haven't ordered my eneloops yet. dumb, I know....

Should I just throw some Duracell alkaline's in there for now? Or how about the Energizer Lithiums?

kj2

Flashaholic

I've mine, a couple of days and very happy with it. Every time I go to the forest I take it with me. The tint is white, simple as that. Just pure white.
It throws far and far away. 350 meters easily. Have tested it on a straight road, with 550-575meters further a road sign. At a distance of 550-575 I could see that road sign. Of course it is a road sign, but.. well.. it gives an idea how far the light will reach.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

I received mine yesterday. Overall, it's a very nice light - machining is top-notch. Now, as one poster brought up in another thread, the battery holder feels cheaper on the TK41 than on the former TK40 (which I've never owned). That said, I don't think the battery holder is going to be a problem down the road. So far as tint in my sample, in the lowest mode the hot spot has this greenish hue to it, then on the second mode up, the hot spot has more of a pure white tint, while the corona has a greenish hue to it and then all other modes are pure white.

Now, so far as I'm concerned, here's the interesting part :

Yesterday evening I took both my M3C4 and TK41 outside for long distance beam comparisons. Now, I want to mention that it was drizzling, so this is by far not the best weather condition for outdoor beam comparisons. I took them out to an open field and was aiming them at a cluster of large trees - I can't tell you exactly how far are those trees though, but that was clearly a respectable distance. My brother-in-law who was also present during testing first said he didn't think there was any real difference between the two lights, but he's not a very detail oriented guy. Shining both at the exact same spot, I've noticed that there seemed to be a slight edge to the M3C4. I don't think that the M3C4 throws any further than the TK41, but I've noticed that the M3C4 illuminated the target a tiny bit more, allowing you to see more of what was being illuminated.

Then when I came home from my sister-in-law's I compared those same two lights once more, standing on my deck shinning them at another relatively distant target (yet another cluster of tall trees). From my deck, I have a clear view of some nice distant targets. I picked out one such target and proceeded to aim each light at said target. My girlfriend was next to me for the whole time. We both noticed how we could make out a little more of that cluster of trees in the distance - the difference wasn't night and day, but enough for us to notice. I then took a break so our eyes could rest and did it over - the outcome was the same.

The beam of the M3C4 seemed whiter than that of the TK41 at that distance and I think this is why it caused us to see more of what we shined it to. The reflector on the M3C4 looks like it's a tiny bit deeper, but we're talking by a very small margin here and but both reflectors when held up head to head are the same diameter.

That said, when I took turns shining those two lights at a closer target (someone's backyard shed), I seemed to have noticed that the TK41's beam appeared to be more intense.

Of note : on my first outdoor comparison of the M3C4 and TK41, the target was barely illuminated by either light - worded differently, it was so far away a target that we're clearly not talking usable/effective range - I wouldn't have been able to spot an animal at that distance, except perhaps it's eyes.

I'll perform the same test when the wheather clears and should I find a different outcome, I'll make the needed corrections - so let's just say this is a preliminary comparison.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

Scroll down and have a look at the TK-40's battery holder http://www.britishblades.com/forums...5-Fenix-TK45-passaround-and-competition/page5

I don't need to hold it to know it was more solidly built than that on the TK-41 - that said, the TK-41's battery holder is probably never going to pose any real problem.

That said, I can understand the fact that I've never owned a TK-40 and my saying it feels cheaper than that on the TK-41 doesn't add up - what I can tell you is that I don't have to hold one in my hands to know - you can tell just looking at it.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
I received my TK41 a couple weeks ago and although I haven't had occasion to use it much yet I find it to be a very well designed and manufactured light. I am quite pleased with it. As others have said it is beautifully machined, comfortable size, smaller than expected. I find the battery holder to be well designed, sturdy, easy to use, and see no reason why I would ever have trouble with it.
I am a novice when it comes to beam description so bear with me. There is a well defined hot spot with a bright corona that ends abruptly with very little spill outside of the corona. So pretty much all your useable light is in a fairly narrow cone. I guess that is what a thrower is supposed to do. I did not notice any obvious tint to the beam when shown against a white wall. But I would probably not complain much anyway as it beats the heck out of my 3D Maglight.
I have no other throwers to compare it to but I can't imagine ever needing more throw.

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened

Phil,

What batteries you putting in your 41?

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
I am using Imedions right now, when it us time to recharge I will swap Eneloops.

fnsooner

Enlightened

chipdouglas, I am looking foward to more comparisons to the M3C4. I have the M3C4 XM-L version and the Fenix TK40. Is your M3C4 the one with the XM-L emmiter? From what you are describing, I probably will pass on the TK41 if the throw is similar. The TK70 is looking good though.

Last edited:

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

chipdouglas, I am looking foward to more comparisons to the M3C4. I have the M3C4 XM-L version and the Fenix TK40. Is your M3C4 the one with the XM-L emmiter? From what you are describing, I probably will pass on the TK41 if the throw is similar. The TK70 is looking good though.

My bad, I should've mentioned my M3C4 has the Cree XM-L LED. Yes, the TK70 is going to be an awesome light. Actually, as demanding as I am, I should always aim for the big guns. I'm also keeping an eye on Eagle Tac's expected new offerings.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

That said, I can understand the fact that I've never owned a TK-40 and my saying it feels cheaper than that on the TK-41 doesn't add up - what I can tell you is that I don't have to hold one in my hands to know - you can tell just looking at it.

You are wrong :D The original TK40 holder had "loosening center post" problem, which was a result of the construction. The new TK41 doesn't have this problem.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

You are wrong :D The original TK40 holder had "loosening center post" problem, which was a result of the construction. The new TK41 doesn't have this problem.

Ok, so then we're talking an improvement - I stand corrected then :)