recommended temps for cree q5 emitter and driver, photos

zaskarkid

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new, and I just soldered up my first light :twothumbs I'm somewhat blind, b/c I couldn't help but look at it now and then.

I noticed it getting hot, so I tacked it to a 1/2x5" aluminum finned heatsink. So far, I let it run for 30min and the emitter seems fine heatwise - 115F on front side and 80F at the heatsink on the backside. The heatsink seems to be doing its job quite well.

What worries me is the driver got to 150F. It's rated up to 18volts, and I'm only applying 8 volts average (using 2cell 1200mah 15c lipo). I have the small 17mm (diameter) driver. I'll try and look for a bigger driver that I can attach a heatsink to, if such exists. Everything is in the open and not in any kind of enclosure.

I want to fit this assembly in a makita lantern. I'm looking for several hours of run time without anything overheating. [And I'd like to avoid a fan b/c I'll be using in a dusty construction work.] So what is a good and realistic temp for the driver?

sku_2394_1.jpg
sku_26110_1.jpg

andersonEE

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I wouldn't get worried about 150F. Most components will be rated for well beyond that. Which components on the driver get hot? Measure your input/output voltage and current, and post the results here to verify that the driver is working correctly.