SST90 dd 2 cell?

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Been gone a while, back or so it seems. Lots of new things going on in the world of LED, trying to get caught back up. I don't find much info on the SST90, but it looks very interesting. I haven't been able to find em with voltage range higher than 4v, although I'm not sure I know all the newest places to look. Do they come in a config that will run at 8.4ish VDC? I have a lot of great 2c mag hosts, I'd really love to build a 2x18650 direct drive sst90 monster if possible. Simple, straightforward, beast. Is this possible? Any info greatly appreciated.

If 1 cell is my only option, I may have a few more ideas. I think I've forgotten nearly as much as I've ever learned on drivers, so if it gets any more serious I may have to invest a bit more time planning. :(

Is anyone mounting/wiring dd led-heatsinks for c or d mags anymore?

Thanks guys

SG

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I think you're going to find that either using resistors or a driver to get back down around 4 to 4.2 volts under load is your only option, unless you plan on using multiple sst90's in series. Drivers will boost voltage to get current up if the input voltage is low, but that when and only when needed to keep the current where you want it, and judging by your goal of a monster flashlight, that's around 9 amps.

You'll need some serious heatsinking as well, sst90's produce a TON of heat at full power, so be careful with your thermal path.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Yep, I don't plan to let it heat up much. Maybe I'll have to stick with a single cell for now :/

Are there any other new LED that have higher voltage that come close on output? I've seen a lot of X's and multi-die but don't know much about the new stuff. Guess I've got some reading ahead, figured it was worth a shot. Still looking for input. Thanks for the help

sg