5 Lights, 51 LED Dies (and a bit of wire), 300W and 17,800 Lumens! Big Mag Shootout

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a moment that a couple of people have been waiting for :) - my Big Mag Shootout.

I came to realise that my favourite flashlight is a big one. The more lumens the better!

In the last year I've collected a few Big Mags, and I figured it was time to put them all to the test.

Some stats about these lights. Between them, there's 51 emitter dies (and one little bit of wire). All together, they'll output ~17,800 lumens, consuming a healthy ~300 Watts.

So, I'll introduce the contenders, in lowest to highest theoretical Lumen output:

Elektrolumens MC-E-III 4C Mag. This one I've had the longest, and it started my love of Big Mags. It's had the standard tube replaced with one bored for 26mm cells. Instead of 3x18650's it now runs 3x26650 IMR's, and has had a few resistance mods applied. I actually took it a bit too far, and melted some components, which Wayne gracefully repaired for me.

Elektrolumens "Wall-of-Fire" Quad P7 Mag. I bought this to mitigate the DT's while the MC-E-III was away for repair. This appears to be a one-off 2C build. Runs off 2 AW C Li-Ions.

Techjunkie's XX-Ray. I fell in love with this light when I first joined CPF. It was only being constructed at the time. Back then 3500 lumens was just unheard of. I leapt at the chance to buy it when he put it up for sale (although the sales thread sat for 2 months because I was too poor to pay for it). Runs on 4x18650 IMR's

ma_sha1's Triple XM-L Yard Sweeper with "Nuke Mode"
. This is a little ripper. Ma is the mad scientist of CPF and his mods always push the boundaries. This has 3 XM-L's driven through a D2flex board from 3x26500 IMR's. High mode runs all three emitters at 2.8A. Nuke mode lets the dogs off the leash and runs as DD, shoving 4.6A into them. Thermal management in Nuke Mode consists of me counting to 20 and turning it off for 5 mins.

MrArtillery built Mag623 with a rocker switch and 4x26500 IMR's. Nice, (comparatively) simple, really really bright. The only incan I have that can stand up to all of the big LED lights.

All together, in not quite the listed order. Left to right, the MC-E-III, Wall-of-Fire, Yard Sweeper, XX-Ray, Mag623
All1.JPG

Isn't this just a beautiful sight? (Left to right, the MC-E-III, Wall-of-Fire, Yard Sweeper, XX-Ray, Mag623)
All2.JPG

Now for some comparison shots. Some may remember my cruddy old treehouse from old beamshots. I ripped it out a few months ago for a proper playground. It's my new shooting range. It's about 7 meters from the camera.

MC-E-III

MC-E-III.JPG

Wall-of-Fire
Wall%20of%20Fire.JPG

XX-Ray
XX-Ray.JPG

Yardsweeper
Yardsweeper.JPG

Mag623
Mag623.JPG

All the photos were taken at the same settings, based on the MC-E-III. The Mag623 just kills my poor little camera.

Oh, and here's an extra photo to help you compare to a more "normal" light. It's my High-CRI Triple - it puts out about 500 lumens
IMGP1406.JPG

ma_sha1 and Techjunkie - You two will have to argue which one of you won. I can't decide :devil:

Last edited:

beerwax

Enlightened
did you notice any damage to the paint on the swingset from all them photons.

i really like the 2nd shot showing the reflectors and leds and the reflection in the table surface.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you notice any damage to the paint on the swingset from all them photons.

i really like the 2nd shot showing the reflectors and leds and the reflection in the table surface.

I was going to take a photo of all 5 lights on at the same time. After seeing the shot of the Mag623, it just would have looked terrible... and I might have set fire to the playground!

The reflections weren't on purpose (I'm not that good a photographer) but I'm happy they're there :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to view your photos but can't because you have specified that they are on secure web pages. Thus, they are blocked from view by those of us who use web proxies.

If you change the https to http in the links to your photos, then everyone can view them easily. Thanks. :thanks:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry. I run a plugin in Firefox that forces all websites that are capable to use HTTPS. I don't even notice the addresses any more.

I'll fix the links later today. (not just as simple as removing the 's' - I have to completely rebuild the links)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I've been waiting to see this. Judging by the beam intensity, no doubt that the Yard Sweeper wins the led contest :rock: It not only over exposed the front bars, it over exposed the back bars (in between front bars too).

My eye ball ranking: Yard sweeper Nuke > Quad P7 wall of fire>XX Ray >3 MCE mag

If you have any apetite left for the most crazy triple ever, I have good news for you.
The big Ripper, The Full body copper heat sinked Triple Neutral Top Bin SST-50 Yard Sweeper Turbo II is coming back to CPF BST soon,
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Copper-Heat-sink&highlight=yard+sweeper+turbo

This was sold to a Friend but all follow-up threads were lost to the crash. I am helping him to liquidate his collection. The turbo II will run cool despite 57Watts of power due to the most elaborate heat sinking ever on CPF, so no need for 20 sec. count down :naughty:
The maddest part is the amount of work to make this light, no amount of money can convince me to make another one.

BTW, I love the Mad Scientist Title :)

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea what you look like, but I've always imagined you with frizzy hair, shouting wildly everytime you get another 10,000 lux out of something :D

Its the fun of the internet, let the imagination run wild. I am not your typical mad scientist,
I look like an oriental version of James Bond, shaken, not stirred ...:devil:

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
That is a lot of power you're packing myvrmnd! I'd still like to see a shot of you turning night into day with all of them on!