Looking for a fenix thrower

bighest

Newly Enlightened
I have a tk40, it throws beautifully but know I see fenix is bringing out a few new goodies:eek:oo: the tk41 is 800 lumens, the tk60 will have 1000 lumens, even with the extra lumens will you notice the that the tk60 throws better than the tk41 as they have the same head design?

The tk70 will obviously be the winner but living in south africa the prices will be to high..... So really interested in the throwing power of the tk41 and tk60 and if it worth it as i have a tk40

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I don't have time to look at all the Fenix specs at the moment, but you need to remember that lumens is not a measure of how far a light will throw. Lumens measures the "total" amount of light coming from the emitter (or out-the-front, depending on measurement parameters). You could have a light with a ton of lumens, but if those lumens are not focused into a tight beam (as a function of emitter/die size, reflector shape and texturing), the light will not throw as far as a light with less lumens that is focused for throw.

Lux is the measurement for throw, but most manufacturers do not quote lux figures - only lumens.

My long-winded point? Do not go strictly by lumens as a basis for determining throw.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
Fenix puts out marketing photos of their lights and usually there is one that states how far it will throw in meters. So far, I think that the TK41 is one of the best throwers that Fenix makes.

kj2

Flashaholic
I would go for the TK41. I have one too, and very happy with it. Throws the light over 350meters easily.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Fenix puts out marketing photos of their lights and usually there is one that states how far it will throw in meters. So far, I think that the TK41 is one of the best throwers that Fenix makes.

In your opinion are their estimates accurate?

Lightman2

Enlightened
Might pay to look at selfbuilts page ... http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
which will show you lux levels of many lights so you can compare and you will see some lights that have higher lumens have less lux so therefore not so good on the throw side.
Thanks again selfbuilt.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how much ambient light there is.

I just got a TK11 and took it out to the in-law's cabin the last couple days. They have a clearing and a permanent deer stand that is 168 yards away according to a fairly old rangefinder. The TK11 easily illuminates at that distance. I didn't try it, but I have every confidence I could tell the difference between my father in law and one of his brothers at that distance with that light and obviously the TK41 will throw further.

I used to use an incandescent Streamlight TL-3 with two 17500s as my 'smaller throw light' and the TK11 beats it in every respect. Brighter, throws further, more reliable, longer running, more useful because of the two settings.

I was pretty up to date as of about 2007, but I've only bought two lights since then... an LD01 and now the TK11. LOTS of progress since 2007. Even compared to modded single LED lights that were pushing the envelope at the time.

I know lights with a lot of throw are impressive and cool to play with but honestly... if the TK41 isn't cutting it for you, you probably need to move to something considerably bigger. That would be my guess anyway. I've never used the TK60 or TK80, but the 41 is pretty damn impressive.

Edit: Oops... I misread your post. I've never played with the TK40, only the 41.

As to Fenix's claim... it's hard to say. The TK11 easily gets to 168 yards and they claim over 200 meters. I'd say based on the TK11, their claims are in the honest to slightly high range. I'll try to test it at 200 meters next time I'm down that way. I have no doubt it'll get there, just not sure how much 'oomph' it will have at that distance.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
Well, the specs they test to are equivalent to where the the brightness it throws is equivilant to about the brightness of the full moon....