Flashlight with very high lumens - minimum 250 lumens

shafi

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a long runtime and small size flashlight. Minimum 250 lumens, maximum length - 10cm, and high mode.

Thanks ;-)

Darvis

Enlightened
That length light and the output you're looking for... you may find it, but not with a very long runtime as your battery capacity choices will be limited. Knowing the following may help:

1) Budget: How much would you like to spend? EDIT- Just saw your last post, so 200.00 gives you some good options.
2) What do you consider long runtime to be, and to be clear, are you looking for a long runtime on high, or on a lower setting with the option for a 250 lumen high mode when needed?

One last thing to consider: Since our eyes do not see brightness in a linear fashion, a 175-200 lumen light would appear almost as bright as a 250 lumen light, and that would greatly increase your choices.

If your budget is unlimited, check out the options offered on Oveready.com. The OR "pocket" can be had in a very short format with some great runtimes at the medium and low levels and an insane (but short lived) high mode. HDS is another great option at the 200 lumen output level with a shorter format. Also look to 4Sevens.com and his line of lights.

Hope that helps!
D

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
What battery types are you comfortable with ?

For long runtimes, the larger the battery the better, I really like 18650's and lights like;
Zebralight sc60 (or the sc600 coming out soon), Eagletac T20c2 would both be great choices. A bored surefire 6p with a Malkoff dropin would get good runtime on an 18650.

I'm not really a long runtime type of guy so I apologize for not being more helpful. Most of my lights are 400-1500 lumens and run for an hour or less.
a quark Cr123^2 or Thrunite Neutron 2c might do nicely for primary type cells

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned above, there are lights that will do around 250 lumens on High but you won't get much runtime ~ less than an hour. Some of these lights also offer low modes that will give you usable light (you'd be surprised how few lumens are necessary to be usable) for days or even weeks. The HDS lights have been mentioned, also look at 4Sevens Quark series and The Thrunite Neutron series. The Zebralight SC51 also comes close at 200 lumens and is very efficient on 1 x AA. Some of these lights will run on "regular" AA or primary lithium cells but you may need to run Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries to get the high output you're looking for.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC60. 270 Lumens on an 18650 battery for 2 hours, and only 4 inches/10cm long.

Sounds like a good choice.

If you want to go budget you could also try the Yezl Z1x. 11.5cm long x 2.3 cm wide. Someone measured it at 814 lumens and it's a lot cheaper than the Zebralight.

If you want something reliable and high quality with a better user interface and wider ranged of brightness levels, I'd recommend getting a Zebralight or other quality light.

Last edited:

shafi

Newly Enlightened
forget budget and long runtime. I wanna a very bright small flashlight. 11.5 cm length is enough for me ;-). 814 lumens :-O. Please guys write if you know better flashlight. Thanks.

Darvis

Enlightened
The Oveready/Moddoolar Pocket Triple. You'll see that length and output and will have the ability to make it longer for larger capacity batteries as needed, in fact, you can build it to any lego specs you want when ordering. Plus you get medium and low levels and a choice of LED tint. Hard to beat for output, quality, and the service from Oveready is some of the best there is.

That's my pick, anyway... good luck with your search!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.oveready.com/moddoolar/moddoolar-pocket/prod_223.html

Control the Dark with 800 lumens in the palm of your hand (700 lumens for neutral). Simplicity, performance, reliablitiy in one tiny package.

800 lumens is enough. I may buy this.
Did you read the cautions?
CAUTIONS:
Do not leave unattended while running on high
Do not run primary CR123 on high (100%). The boost driver will drain them harder and harder until the cells overheat, and may explode.
This light creates excessive heat
This light may cause eye damage
This light may burn the skin at close range
This light may cause combustibles to ignite
This light is not a toy, keep away from children

Did you read the Runtimes?
Runtimes:
IMR 18350 on high: 18 minute.
You will be stuck using medium mode. ~240 lumens.

For the smaller lights I would go for 1*XPG instead of 3*XPG.

-

Zebralight SC600 Cree XM-L. 500 Lm with 750 Lm turbo in the first few min. Length: 107mm

-

If you can put up with an extra 1/2 to 1 inch length the choices are much better. Such as Fenix PD30 XPG edition, 265 lumens 118 mm. EDIT PD31, 304 lumens 120 mm /EDIT

Or just ease up on the lumens a little. Quark 123 Tactical, 205 lumens 3.2 inches. Quark MiNiX 123, 210 lumens 2.3 inches.

-

EDIT

I am searching on the Internet to find out the most powerful flashlight with highest lumens EVER!!!!!!!!

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=63_387&products_id=321

Microfire Warrior III K3500R 35W / 3500 Lumen HID Rechargable

3500 Lumen :-O
Just for fun.

Polarion claims World's most powerful Flashlight with 5,000 lumen.

http://www.i4u.com/18456/polarion-claims-worlds-most-powerful-flashlight-5000lm
Those are not LED flashlights. Go to the Spotlights and HID Flashlights subforum to read up on them.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?7-Spotlights-and-HID-Flashlights
Go through the threads in the sticky Spotlights & HID - Threads of Interest first.
And they are a lot bigger than 4 inches. And the ones with SLA batteries are HEAVY.

Last edited:

Enlightened
I am searching on the Internet to find out the most powerful flashlight with highest lumens EVER!!!!!!!!
Polarion claims World's most powerful Flashlight with 5,000 lumen

I can see that you have got bitten by the bug really nicely.

Lights from Polarion are not for everyone. If you have a family/house/car/kids/support parents/other hobbies/saving up for retirement, I don't see how anyone earning below 10k/mth would wanna buy this range. :)

How about a Lightpipe HID, 250W HID, 30 min run time on Li-ion, 6" reflector, usd 425. Some guys are already sampling the 70W version.

Just a warning that I don't see often enough :
Oh yes, btw, a high-powered nicely collimated HID can blind you as fast and as well as a 10mW 532nm for close ranges. Most have quite a bit of UV-A even after filtering by the glass (you can hold up your transition glasses in front of them, most darken really fast), the hotspot from a 6" reflector 55W at 3m has about 4 stops (that's 16 times) higher intensity than the noon sun and I am in the tropics. With the hotspot being larger, it is easier to hit someone's eyes with this, the only good thing is it diverges much faster than even a 445nm. This is a nice hobby, but treat them with respect. Just don't point these stuff at anyone's face within 10m especially in the dark where the pupils dilate.

This is 1.5m for the 6" 55W HID focused for throw, the 1.6W (LPMed with the glass lens on, ie not RAW) 445nm defocused to 1 inch length for the beam. The HID spot really has a larger corona but it can't be seen here. Laser goggles were used.
original.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
How about playing with a low-cost Ultrafire WF-502B XM-L first? Its just $20 shipped and all the good ingredients are all there, 1.5A to the LED on high, 510 lumens, host is still pretty small in size (13cm length, 3.4cm dia), cheap. If you want brighter you can get a C8, has a larger head/reflector but that means more throw. In a small host/head, you need all the efficiency you can get if you wanna maintain brightness for > 1 min due to the LED heating up and heat saturation with the limited metal.
After playing with all these, upgrade to the nice ones from all the brands you can choose.

I saw that moodular rocket in the oveready site. There are so many nice and high-quality lights which are affordable and offers value for money. Why not look at Debreelights, Thrunite, and if you like the looks Sunwayman M30R T6 XM-L? (its also 13cm)

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
:lolsign:I love it.... I don't feel so bad everytime I say to myself "ok focus ... I want a single cell AA light for under $50"... and end up 2 hours later about to pull the trigger on an Oveready Torchlab Tripple with a bored C2 host.
By the way, good idea on the Ultrafire for a starter with drop ins.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Bringing this pocket rocket thread back to life....

How can I forget the ever popular Solarforce (good price, not the best quality out there but excellent for 99% of the ordinary folks out there including use on firearms). Get a IMR 16340 and you are in business for full output. Regular LiCo 16340 should get you into the 350 lumens ballpark in medium.

Solarforce L2m, just comes in under 100mm (its 90mm), has a bigger P60-based reflector of 22mm so that its not as floody as a Thrunite Neutron 1C. Heck people regard a 42mm SMO + XM-L as floody. :D
Ultrafire XM-L P60. Hard to beat this pocket rocket.
Or you get the $39 L2M with solarforce single mode XM-L drop-in package from solarforce-sales website.

Last edited: