The Fenix P3D is dead. Long Live the King

looman

Enlightened
I have had my Fenix P3D for ages. It was my first EDC light and it has been with me for a long time.

Sadly I have lost it and I now need a replacement for this wonderful little light.

I am looking for something on a similar basis - it is used as an edc and as a suppoort light for hunting to augment a thrower LED (gun mounted) on several types of rifle.

The rifle is a thrower so the EDC needs to be a flooder with some throw as I sometimes ude this to sweep an area so the rifle isnt used as a torch and sweeps things it should not.

My ONLY gripe about the P3D was the fact that it only ran on CR123's and I really prefer the 18650 and it could get a little toasty on the rare occasions it needed to be on for a long duration.

What would you recomend as an EDC that is excellent output (regulated) multi level output 18650 and a good combination of flood and throw. It doesnt have to be Fenix even though I rate them.

PS I hate LED LENSER so please dont go there or ask me why - it just aint gonna happen :)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

monju123

Newly Enlightened
My 1st thought would be to wait a few weeks for the Zebralight SC600. 700 lumens, XML, 18650. I would rate it over the many fine lights in this category because its size is the closest that an 18650 light comes to being an EDC IMHO.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Their a several XML lights, all 2 x CR123A compatible (and potentially 18650 compatible), which may fit the bill:

Fenix TK21
4sevens TurboX
4sevens Maelstrom X7

With the exception of the TurboX, all are 18650 compatible out of the box and have reasonable throw. The TurboX's head will run on a 18650, but you'll need to purchase a wider body, and 4sevens just stopped selling it. It will take a 17670, however, or two RCR123's.

In addition, there a couple of lights from Sunwayman and Zebralight in the same class. The Zebralight SC600 is designed for 18650 cells, so forget about running two primaries. The Sunwayman T20C should take anything you can properly fit in it, including 18650's and RCR123's, but I don't think it's hit the shelves quite yet. (Vendors were expecting it at the beginning of this week.) The Zebralight SC600 isn't scheduled for release until the end of May.

The Fenix and 4sevens lights have SMO reflectors and, presumably, are better throwers than the Zebralight. I'm not sure about the Sunwayman.

However, all are XML lights, and the XML is a large, very bright, and floody emitter.

ColoradoClimber

Newly Enlightened
For same form and function with improved output and functionality of using 18650, then I would have to say PD31. Just got an email saying that PD31 was going to be available again this week by a few retailers. Also said it has a black clip vs the silver clip if that matters to you.

I love the the new TK21, but I can't imagine it being an everyday carry. It's just too big.