Fenix MC10/11 questions???

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I am looking into buying an angle light and im leaning towards the zebralight H31 however I have been researching the fenix MC series lights and I wonder... Why would Fenix make a new angle light with even less lumens than the previous generation of their angles? The MC10 has a maximum output of 125 lumens on high but the MC11 which is the newer version only puts out a maximum of 81 lumens? Why would they downgrade?

Helmut.G

Enlightened
the MC11 uses a different LED. As Woods Walker said, the output figures aren't comparable because they measure differently. I don't know about further differences.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Recently, flashlight manufacturers like Fenix and 4Sevens began adopting a single standard for measuring output: ANSI lumens using the ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 Standard. The different standard of measure often results in a lower lumen count in newer light models, although the new light is probably brighter than the older model.

For instance, Fenix rated my LD20 XP-G R4 at 205 lumens at its maximum setting. The somewhat brighter Fenix LD20 XP-G R5 is rated at 180 lumens using the ANSI standard. Likewise, 4Sevens originally rated their Quark AA2 XP-G R5's maximum output at 205 lumens. Although 4Sevens claims the Quark AA2 XP-G S2 is actually 7% brighter than the R5 model, it is rated at 180 "ANSI" lumens.

Last edited: