Is the Sunwayman M30R SST-50 worth it?

apurva

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading a lot about and investing into tiny lights for EDCing. So am kinda negligent in the big light scene. Though I havent had my fill of EDC lights, I just landed upon this deal at Battery Junction where the M30R is selling for about $130. I know that there is a newer XM-L version out there, but the price of the older version sort of appeals to me.

I like 123as as I just got a whole bunch of the awesome tenergy 900mah batteries and they have been working great for me. And as I probably have made obvious, a compact form factor is a plus for me, and the M30R seems to be quite so.

Is this the best 800 lumen light one can buy for that price? Are there any other lights I should consider before I place the order?

shomie911

Enlightened
It's not going to be a light you can carry with you in a pocket, but Sunwayman's large M-series lights are extremely well made.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
It's not going to be a light you can carry with you in a pocket, but Sunwayman's large M-series lights are extremely well made.

I am not expecting to carry it in my pocket, just looking for the coolest brightest light 130 bucks can buy.

tonkem

Enlightened
I am not expecting to carry it in my pocket, just looking for the coolest brightest light 130 bucks can buy.

You might look at the olight SR50, a bit bigger, but brighter. Also takes more batteries. Look at goinggear.com website to see the video difference between the Sr50 and the m30r sst-50. Just a thought.

I have both the M30r Xml and the m40a mc-e. I really like the m40a since I can just drop aa rechargeables in it. I find myself not using the m30r because of the lower runtime vs the aa m40a :)

Good luck with your purchase.

Tony

apurva

Newly Enlightened
You might look at the olight SR50, a bit bigger, but brighter. Also takes more batteries. Look at goinggear.com website to see the video difference between the Sr50 and the m30r sst-50. Just a thought.

I have both the M30r Xml and the m40a mc-e. I really like the m40a since I can just drop aa rechargeables in it. I find myself not using the m30r because of the lower runtime vs the aa m40a :)

Good luck with your purchase.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

The OLight is much bigger, and is much more expensive (atleast on the 4sevens site).

Runtimes may not be a problem for me as I will not use this light very often, just for emergency use in the farm house. Would you happen to know if the M30R will accept 3.0V LiFePO4 batteries by Tenergy ?

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Thanks Tony,

The OLight is much bigger, and is much more expensive (atleast on the 4sevens site).

Runtimes may not be a problem for me as I will not use this light very often, just for emergency use in the farm house. Would you happen to know if the M30R will accept 3.0V LiFePO4 batteries by Tenergy ?

Think the cr123 is your only option. The sst-50 is a bit dimmer and more floody then the XML version. Check out goinggear.com video review of both lights.

Tony

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has picked my interest, can the M30R run on RCRs or just primaries? According to batteryjunction, the working voltage is 4.5v-9v. If it only runs on primaries then it'll be expensive to run.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
This thread has picked my interest, can the M30R run on RCRs or just primaries? According to batteryjunction, the working voltage is 4.5v-9v. If it only runs on primaries then it'll be expensive to run.

Only if I could get this question answered, I would buy the light ...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30R SST-50 runs on primaries only as the max voltage is 9.0v, but the newer XM-L version can run RCR123s as the max voltage is 12.6v.

One alternative is to run 2xRCR123s and 1xdummyCR123.

Last edited:

sunthrow

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have the XM-L version of this light and the circuit can take RCR batteries voltage but i have AW protected cell (the most common)and not fit in the carrier ? :duh2: