a couple questions on hid vs. led

340wedge

Newly Enlightened
New to the site and I'm looking for a good light. This will be used quite often and want it to last a long time. Want the light to be rechargable with atleast high/low settings with good run time. Also wanting atleast 3000 lumens and a fast start( dont like warm up periods).

With that said I cant decide whether led or hid. Any suggestions? I think the led would be better for longer life abit more durable and longer runtime but I'm finding that a handheld led is maxxing out at around 2200 lumens unless im missing something. Any info or suggestions would be great.

One last questions....I need a light for work and no luck finding what I need. Im a welder/fab and go on the road alot and always seem to be finding myself in places where a normal light just isnt cutting it. Basically need something that is very durable and more of a open light meaning I can just turn it on toss it on the ground and the area will light right up.

Thanks for reading.

Imon

Enlightened
Rechargeable, high output, and long runtime usually don't belong in the same sentence together.
There are rechargeable and high output lights out there. There are rechargeable and long runtime lights too but having all three qualities is a bit of a stretch.
Perhaps you could specify the amount of runtime you need per charge?

For now though I see a rechargeable spotlight as the best choice for you. It's not going to be small or light weight but it will have a high output and probably around 1-1.5 hours of full output. As for a high output LED ... well. LEDs tend to get less efficient as you put more current through them so a very high output LED light really doesn't impress in the runtime department. Although the CREE XML is looking pretty impressive...
A LED light that will give you 3000 or more lumens will almost definitely have to be multiple LEDs perhaps 6 or more XMLs (or 1 or 2 SST-90s). It'll definitely be a power-hog.
This is my understanding anyways. Perhaps someone with more knowledge might chip in.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
For a rough and ready HID you might check out Streamlight's website, and look at their LiteBox HID's.

Bill

Last edited: