Streamlight TL-3 vs Stinger

Aux

Newly Enlightened
I find myself using my TL-2 LED more than my Stinger XT lately, as what feels like a more secure grip texture on the TL, and an easier to use tailcap switch. Given this I am considering a TL-3 xenon for the belt instead of the current Stinger, when more brightness is required.

Since the advertised output of these lights is measured differently, does anyone have any "observations" on how these two lights compare in terms of brighness, throw, and beam quality?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aux- Streamlight lists the Stinger XT as having a 3.7 volt, 6 watt bulb.

I think the 9 volt TL-3 would blow it out of the water.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet JohnK's right. Check out Quickbeam's chart on the current thread:

Quickbeam's Light Box Experiment

I don't see the Stinger on the chart, but the SL TL-3 Xenon put out 10,000 Lux, compared to the SL TL-2 LED's 2160 Lux. I hope mine arrives tomorrow.

I'd like to see what the 75,000 candlepower Ultra Stinger produces in Quickbeam's box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

BC

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some beamshots (having a Stinger and US, and considering a TL3).
I seriously doubt the TL3 will blowing anything away, based on the Stinger being SOOOO much brighter than any of the 2x123 lights I've seen.
It would be shorter, lighter, and fit in a jacket pocket (as in-actually get carried), though...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a SF Stinger, and I'll give you my .02 worth. I think it is great, but not what the review says. I have used a Scorpion which is rated at 6500 CP. Now the Stinger is rated at up to 15000 CP. A little more than double right.
But double CP doesn't translate to double throw. I looked at the TL3, and really had ever intention of getting one these. Then I figured every time I charge the Stinger I am saving at least $4.00 in batteries. If I just put that in a jar it won't be long before I get the TL3, or better yet that SF A2 I really want.
All that aside I am very happy with Stinger, and it is not to big to carry in a holster on my belt. I just wish I could figure out a dual power supply for it.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
I happen to have both a Stinger and a TL3. In extremely informal tests:

I have a mirror at the end of the hallway. Standing at the other end and bouncing the beam back into your face, the Stinger makes you squint and close your eyes. The TL3 makes you close your eyes and turn your head.

The beam quality of the Stinger is better. Mine uses a orange peel reflector to even up the rings. The lack of that really hurts the TL3.

At night, illuminating across the road and lighting up the neighbor's ham radio antennae - the TL3 give obviously better throw. Not only can you make out the thin aluminum bars, you can even see the RG coax wire (black!) that connects the top of the antennae. The Stinger can't do quite that well.

Bianchi makes a holster specifically for the Stinger. No one yet makes a nice belt holster for the TL3 that doesn't leave it rattling around.

The TL3 runs hot as hell. Put your hand in front of the bezel and feel it heat up. In close quarters, it rapidly heats up the air around you.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam quality of the Stinger is better. Mine uses a orange peel reflector to even up the rings. The lack of that really hurts the TL3.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All of my TL's, Xenon, and LED, have orange peel reflectors. The Xenons have a beam as smooth as can be; no artifacts at all.

Do you have an earlier/later model ?

Techmedic

Enlightened
Blackbeagle,

The tested lumen value of the TL-3 is around 100 lumens.(from the informal testing done by another CPF member)

What is the lumen value (even your opinion!) of the SL stinger?

Thanks!

Techmedic

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the stats found on this forum the TL3 is rated at 175-200 lumens. The SL Scorpion is rated at 6500 CP. Other 2X123 lights in this catagory, and very close by naked eye, are rated at 100 lumens. As there is no formula for a dirrect conversion I only used the numbers for a rough idea that the Stinger, at a little more than double the CP of the Scorpion would probably be around 200 lumens as well.

Thus the 15000 Candle Power of the Stinger roughly translates to 200 lumens. I am sure someone can point out the flaw in this, but it is all I had to go on.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Very evil question. I'll give you the following to consider:

G2 - 65 lumens. Diffuse white hot spot.
8NX - 100 lumens. Hot spot with lots of spill.

Problem: The G2 may actually appear brighter but it isn't. I've measured both and the G2 always when reflected off a wall doesn't deflect a light meter as much as the 8NX, but it appears so much whiter and the hot spot is so much larger that you'd think it is brighter.

Now, the SL Stinger "appears" to be about the same as the 8NX but the beam is filled with more defects so it is hard to say. My honest guess would be about 65 Lumens.

The TL3 is no comparison - 175 Lumens - even eyeball comparison - there is a larger white hotspot way bigger than the 8NX or the G2. Way brighter!

paulr

Flashaholic
175 lumens is in P91 range and the TL3 can't be anywhere near that bright and still have 3x the battery runtime of a 3 cell P91 light. Basically SL's lumen ratings are exaggerated. I believe the 100 lumen measurement much more than I believe the 175 lumen "rating".

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww man, now you did it. I guess I am going to have to and get the TL3 to compare with my Stinger. Then I have got to get something with P91, just to compare to the TL3. Then I have got to get the A2, just to be sure you know. Then I have got to get the....
Now see what you have done!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever the Lumen rating is for the TL-3, mine is brighter, whiter, and has a larger hot spot than my 9P with P90.