Eagletac P20A2 MKII ET21 Module Comparison

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Here is a comparison of various P20A2 MKII modules (Eagletac calls them ET21 modules). Hopefully this will be useful for anyone considering upgrading their current P20A2 MKII or considering purchasing one.

The Modules:

XM-L T6 CW LOP

XP-G R5 CW OP

XP-G R4 NW OP (mislabeled:shakehead as a XP-E Q4)

XP-E Q4 NW OP

Comparison Beamshots:
__________Mode:Low______________________General(Medium)____________Turbo(High)________________Turbo Boost
XM-L T6 CW LOP

XM-L T5 NW LOP

XP-G R5 CW OP
XP-G R4 NW OP
XP-E Q4 NW OP

Observations:
The XM-L T5 & T6 modules have a "Turbo Boost" feature that drives the LED at 1.5A output for 3 minutes (I measured 3:40 for the T6 and 3:20 for the T5), then reducing the output to 0.9A to regular Turbo mode. OTF lumens is unknown at this time. I did a ceiling bounce comparison test with a R5 @ 1.4A (roughly 300-340 OTF) and the Eagletac XM-L T6 was very close if not just a bit more brighter. I'd guestimate maybe 340-360 OTF.

The XP-G R5 CW & R4 NW were pretty much as expected. I don't know the exact tint, but its not the same as the XP-E Q4 (5A tint). The XP-E Q4 NW has a tighter hotspot due to the smaller die. Overall though it will have less output.

It looks like Eagletac is back on top of the 2xAA market in terms of output with the XM-L T6 module. The ET21 modules definitely add to the value of the light as different modules can be used according to user needs:thumbsup:. Not quite the flexibility of the P60 form factor, but definitely not a dead end in terms of upgradeability.

Last edited:

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
Where do you buy the modules? I have the tc20mk2 and want the xml so I can run it at 2.8 amps.

XM-L T6 module

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison and it's interesting you get 3:40 on turbo, I've timed mine several times and every time it was also 3mins 40secs.

Napalm

Enlightened
:thumbsup: Thanks for the review!

There's also an XP-G S2 module and it has turbo boost like the XM-L one.

Nap.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the shots. It looks like the XPG "neutral" must be in the 3x range because it does not look to be anywhere near the 5A of the XPE. It also looks a little green - is that true? I guess it is better than cool white but I'm not sure why they would not pick a better neutral tint for the XPG neutral.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Thanks. Definitely gonna get the XM-L module for my P20C2........
EDIT - ordered!

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
The green tint is more likely the camera than anything else. I did set the white balance to Daylight. In real life the XP-E Q4 5A looks creamy/vanilla white, pretty close to neutral. I'd say the XP-G R4 NW looks close, but definately not in the 3x range. I do have XP-G R4's in 3D and a 4B tint. Comparing it against the 4B it's definately not that cool. I'll take a comparison shot against the 4B later when it gets dark. I'd estimate the tint I got from Eagletac for the R4 is possibly 5B1 or 5B2.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The green tint is more likely the camera than anything else. I did set the white balance to Daylight. In real life the XP-E Q4 5A looks creamy/vanilla white, pretty close to neutral. I'd say the XP-G R4 NW looks close, but definately not in the 3x range. I do have XP-G R4's in 3D and a 4B tint. Comparing it against the 4B it's definately not that cool. I'll take a comparison shot against the 4B later when it gets dark. I'd estimate the tint I got from Eagletac for the R4 is possibly 5B1 or 5B2.

Good thanks. I may have to pick up some XPG neutral drop-ins for some of my EagleTac lights.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I played around with my cameras settings at it appears the Cloudy white balance setting is a tad bit better. Its still not close enough to what my eyes see in real life, but better than the Daylight white balance.

R4 4B tint (300-340L) vs. Eagletac R4 NW Turbo

I also noticed something different about the XM-L dropin. Eagletac has done away with the ramping up/down between mode transitions. The mode switching is instant now like on the P100A2. All we need now is a XM-L T5 NW dropin and we shall have the most beautiful 2xAA XM-L floodlight available.

Calcustom

Newly Enlightened
I put the new P20C2 XML T6 module into my P20A2 MK II with two 14500. Very bright and floody.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
If anyone is gonna order one of these, then be sure and check the UI first. I bought a XM-L drop-in for my P20C2 and the UI was not at all like the 'MkII' UI. I disliked the XM-L UI so much, I ended up putting the XP-G R5 module back in.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
Chevy-SS:

What don't you like about the XM-L UI? Are you talking about the HO module?
I have both the XP-G5 and the XM-L HO module and I like them both.

SayHey

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the last partial inquiry....looking for comments on any discernible differences between the XPG-R5 module and the XPG S2? Was wondering how they compared in throw and tint with this particular light. Thanks much...

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I was able to obtain a T5 NW module (thanks Tod!:thumbsup:) and have updated the original post with new beamshots. The tint on my T5 sample is very similar to the XP-E Q4 5A module. As with all current-controled lights there is a slight tint shift to the warm side on lower modes. Its funny that back on post #11 (~7 months ago) I commented A T5 NW would be awesome.. and look what has happened;).