Threadlocked LED Flashlights [LIST BY BRAND]

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED flashlights are a special case where the emitter and driver are sometimes installed in to the head of the flashlight in such a way that the user cannot access them, nor anything in front of them such as the lens, reflector, and o-rings.

The practice seems to be by brand, generally.

Sometimes we use the word "potting" to mean the same thing, but I believe this is done to the emitter board components to make them more shock resistant (especially inductors). If the flashlight is small enough, the entire head might be potted.

To me, this is the equivalent of Supplier A welding shut the hood of my car and telling me I can only come to them for service. If Supplier B doesn't do this, I would go out of my way to buy from Supplier B.

Fortunately, some of the threadlocking brands do a relatively good job at the quality of what they put together. Even so, defects happen, for instance this case. I repeatedly see solder flux splash over the LED dome of the best of them, affecting light output. The buyer must pay return shipping and wait for a replacement, or live with the defect. In the eyes of the manufacturer, there's nothing wrong, the flashlight is working. So they are often not going to pay for your shipping.

Also, what happens when you break a lens? I've also experienced that over time the flashlight may develop a haze on the front lens from flux and silicones volatizing and condensing within the assembly, by then you're out of luck entirely.

And as we know after a few short years, emitters are 2 or 3 times a bright, and emitters dim over years of usage. I want access to changing the emitter so I can continue enjoying the flashlight that I invested in. Also, there are times some water works it's way into the head of the flashlight from a spill or splash while changing cells, turning the head past the o-ring while underwater, or a failure in water resistance.

Now I realize that potting shut the head of a flashlight is good business. It's a tamper-resistant seal that prevents warranty claims. They would love to tell me it's time to come buy a new flashlight when we're a few years down the road.

I can't ignore the fact that threadlocking adds some robustness to the light, one less thing to move around and cause problems with operation, especially in a twisty light. For casual users who want to use a flashlight and then discard it after a few years, this might be the better scenerio. I can see there would be an improvement to thermal conductivity through the threads, but I seldom see thermal epoxy being used so it probably isn't a significant reason for it's use.

In general, I understand the reasons for doing it and it's the right of the manufacturer to choose how they manufacture their flashlights. They might consider my opinion is in the minority and there is no reason to change.

Wouldn't it be nice if they found a way to meet somewhere in the middle? For instance, Nuwai used thermoplastic-ish epoxy on their flashlights, almost like hot-glue. The head was robustly assembled, but if access was needed you could put it in boiling water and unscrew the parts.

I posted another thread where I said I wasn't going to buy cool white LED's anymore. I'm now feeling the same way about brands with threadlocked heads. It's a good thing we have so many choices on the market, and maybe it keeps me from buying too many lights. :naughty:

I'll start a list of brands that do and don't threadlock. Please help me with the list based on your knowledge.

THREADLOCKED / POTTED / CRIMPED SHUT:

4Sevens
Arc
Armytek
EagleTac
Fenix
ITP
Maratec
Microfire
Peak
ShiningBeam
Sunwayman
Surefire
Zebralight

NOT THREADLOCKED:

Dereelight
Jetbeam
Liteflux
Lumapower
Lummi
M@g
NiteCore
O-Light
ThruNite
Univex

Last edited:

HooNz

Enlightened
Re: Threadlock and Epoxy on LED Flashlights

I use a small gas powered pencil (butane), a quick zap with a bit of heat in the right spot and it'll unlock those thread-lockers .

Chongker

Newly Enlightened

I concur, I also decided that I no longer like cool white tints, but I still buy cool white lights if I know that the LED is easily accessible and I can swap it out. I find it really annoying trying to pry open threadlocked lights (especially red threadlock) for some brands when with others it's just a matter of unscrewing a few pieces apart.

bansuri

Enlightened

On one hand I completely agree as it's an issue I've had a couple struggles with.
On the other hand manufacturers have to look at the bigger picture. I'm sure they benefit from not having to deal with additional warranty returns for pills that have loosened up or been fiddled with by customers who don't know what they're doing. I don't think the percentage of owners who have the skills necessary to swap emitters is very high.
But yeah, it's a pain. Heat and some big rubber-bands help.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, in general I think it is good for sellers.

I'm surprised that the number of people who mess up their lights by taking them apart exceeds the number of defects that cannot be repaired because the light is locked.

I have to believe that a large number of flashlight heads are disposed of because of defects instead of repaired. How can the supplier repair it? In every case I've had a return, it's been replaced and not repaired. This is extremely wasteful. I guess it's less expensive to fix them instead of repairing them anyway... so many electronic devices from overseas must be filling up the landfills.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Another thing to think about...

Manufacturers, in their quest for competitive performance, are increasingly designing light engines to work with a specific battery and emitter type. I would think it to be difficult, if not impossible, to design a light engine that would effectively compete against future emitters and the competitors who would then be designing the most efficient engine for that emitter...

- Jas.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, so I started a list with brands that do and don't threadlock.

Perhaps within a brand some are and some aren't. We can add them to both lists and clarify.

Please help me fill out the list and make corrections as needed.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc and Peak pot the heads of their lights which, to me, is an advantage in smaller, tougher lights.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lumapower for the no threadlock, at least on the Incendio. I forgot how it was on the Trust Model 2 when I owned one.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I saw condensation on the reflector of my Fenix TK35, when it was lit up.

So I thought I'd unscrew the module in the bezel by placing my straight circlip pliers into the dimples of the Aluminium module, then apply some compressed air to the reflector and screw everything back making sure that it was airtight.

However even after applying a lot of force, nothing happened. I only succeeded in scratching up the dimples and the board. :mad:

So I found out like you have already stated in your first post that Fenix is definitely one of those brands that threadlock.

I suppose I'll just have to put up with the condensation.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, hope this thread dont get locked:whistle: I prefer lights with no threadlock.
Univex aaa ---> no threadlock.
Liteflux lf2xt ---> no threadlock.
Microfire pioneer ---> threadlocked, The led is still accessible, the driver is not.

I got a "lemon" quark mini xml that they forgot to put threadlock on. Now it's neutral tinted:devil:

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your what?!?!
This is the Airola 18650
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/juplin/36-Out06_S.jpg
36-Out06_S.jpg

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the brand is KuKu or Airola?

I thought we were talking anatomy there for as second.:lolsign:

Napalm

Enlightened
I don't think you can do it by brands. You have to go to specific model.

OTOH for other people like me the whole issue is irrelevant especially in the < $100 category. I don't care how it's made as long as it's solid, robust and reliable.

Nap.