make my 6p a novelty!

KnifeGeek

Newly Enlightened
So I have decided on my new EDC flashlight and got that ordered. I still have a little extra funds laying around. I have a 6p incan that I want to make over the top. Now I am not the most electronic savy guy out there so the mods would need to be minimal. basically what I want is an under $50 option to make my 6p as bright and throwy as possible. basically just going for over the top wow factor. any suggestions??

thanks!

edited to add: I forgot to mention i would prefer to stick with cr123s since I have plenty of those lying around

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Check out Nailbender's thread. An XP-G running at 1.4 Amps is going to be very bright and throwy and it will run great on CR123s. Just tell him that's what you're planning on running and he can make a drop-in for you.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M61...Unless you like warm tints. Then get the M61W. Can be had for about 60 bucks maybe less if you shop around. I think i paid 55 for mine at battery junction. Mine is warm and it is EXCELLENT. I'm sure i wont be the first one to make this suggestion! Massive hotspot and throws about 100 meters pretty well! It lights up my whole backyard like its daytime!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Thrunite 1 mode (XL-M) and it's bright but I wouldn't call it throwy. It will light up the backyard however.

I also have a Thrunite 3 mode XP-G and though a little less bright it will light up the backyard and throw a bit further than that.

If you're really going from though in a 6P however you just need a XR-E R2 drop-in. It won't light up as much of the backyard but will throw much further.

Generally you need to pick one or the other...bright (as in lumens) or throw. If you shop around you can do both however by buying two drop-ins...one for throw and one for max lumens.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ThruNite XM-L drop-in is only driven at 1.5A. There are other drop-ins out there that push more output from the XM-L. The problem is that the form factor doesn't really draw heat away from the LED well and that's the reason for the 1.5A draw of the ThruNite.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2x CR123 remember to get a buck driver not a linear one as many of Nailbenders are. He can do buck ones too I believe but many rated to max 6v waste lots of power at that voltage, it's best to go for an 8.4+ rated one like the Thrunite.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this XML Drop in from Manafont: http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-cree-t6-3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

It draws about 3.5 Amps from a protected AW 18650 and I hear it pulls over 4 on IMR. Now, that's not sustainable mind you, but you're going for wow factor here right? It's actually throwier than comparable XMLs (my Nailbender 3.1 Amp for example) and because it's over driven, it puts out noticeably more light. The beam is not as tight as my XPG drop ins but because it's so bright, I think it actually out throws them.

It's a wonderful wow-factor drop in. It's also so inexpensive that you could also get a NailBender XRE drop in for pure throw (but much less overall output).

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this XML Drop in from Manafont: http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

It draws about 3.5 Amps from a protected AW 18650 and I hear it pulls over 4 on IMR. Now, that's not sustainable mind you, but you're going for wow factor here right? It's actually throwier than comparable XMLs (my Nailbender 3.1 Amp for example) and because it's over driven, it puts out noticeably more light. The beam is not as tight as my XPG drop ins but because it's so bright, I think it actually out throws them.

It's a wonderful wow-factor drop in. It's also so inexpensive that you could also get a NailBender XRE drop in for pure throw (but much less overall output).

That is an awesome drop-in and imho by far the best value/performance light engine available. But it will not run with 2x CR123 cells, that would destroy it.

houtex

Enlightened
I have six P60 style host, all of them run the Solarforce XM-L drop-in. Some on 1 x 18650 ,the others on 2 x cr123. I have McClikys in most but my C2 has a Zero Rez in it and it is by far my brightest.