Is the Streamlight SL-35X Really 450 Lumens?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SL35X uses a similar 30W bulb as the 12PM N62 which SureFire rate at 500Lu. The N62 is driven very hard by the four SF123A batteries. I guess it peaks at well over 500Lu for a minute or so which is quite a long time when you get a 12 minute runtime out of four SF123As.

The SL35X is a very bright flashlight (big and long) but very bright. I believe that it will put out more Lumens then the TigerLight which appears to be 250-300 Lumens I think.

Compared to the UltraStinger (which has a higher CP rating from Streamlight), I think it still has more Lumens.

The Stinger HP is the poor relation. Based on the ones I've seen I think the HP has about 80-90 Lumens.

It would be great to see a photo of the SL35X, SL20X, TigerLight, MagCharger, Pelican M11 and UltraStinger so we get an idea of scale, and then some beam shot comparisons.

I have a feeling this has been covered before here on CPF...

Al

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I have never seen an "Official" Lumen rating on the Tigerlight. I wrote Michael Teig of Tigerlight and asked for the Lumens rating, he told he doesn't know and considers it to be misleading anyway.

From my own observation, comparing it to other lights, I agree with Al's guess and figure it to be about 250 Lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Michael is right - Lumen output is misleading unless you know more about the beam.

The reason I find SureFire Lumen ratings useful is because the light distribution is pretty consistant from one Lamp Assembly model to the next. If you have a P60 at 65Lu you have a pretty good chance of working out what a P90 at 105Lu will be like because the reflector diameter is the same, the design concept of the beam is the same.
Same goes for the TurboHeads in my experience. There are a few exceptions of course - KT3 and X80 being two.

When you try to estimate Lumen outputs between brands, it becomes very difficult because the beam characteristics (light distribution between the spot and surround) differ between brands. I guess it's like the first time you realise that the MN11 and MN16 bulbs are the same and that the Lumen output is the same and the beams are so very different and they don't look like the same Lumens.

Lumens, just like "real" Beam Candle Power ratings are misleading unless you know more about the beam.

Al

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many Flashlights can use a 30 watt bulb?

This is PROBABLY in the running for the most powerful production flashlight in Existance. Just FYI, you can use the SL-35X in a SL-20X body, with the cost of shorter runtime. (The SureFire 10X Dominator is also in the running with 500+ Lumens for 20 minutes, at 500.00!)

This is not going to give you the piercing, narrow, long throw beam, it is going to be a wider, beam, but LOTS of light!

[Size15s edited "20W" to "30W" - see my post below - D'Oh!]

Size15's

Flashaholic
The MN21 Lamp in the M6 is also about 30W.

BTW, If you buy a 10X from SureFire at $500 then you've not even bothered to shop around! The first Dealer I checked has it for under $380.

I get the impression that as far as SureFires go, 500Lu relates pretty much to 30W.

Way back when I was first getting into flashlights, the race for me was down to the 12PM or SL35X. I took the 12PM on size and weight as I needed a flashlight I could carry in my jacket pocket.
Imagine if I'd gone for the SL35X and suffered the carry issues!! StreamLight would have had their biggest fan right?!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recollection is the M21 is closer to 30 watts (I think it ends up as about 7.2 volts and 3.8 amps) then 20 watts, the upper limit on halogen output is about 20 lumens per watt, and you need a good sized lamp to get that (100+ watts), so 20 watts isn't going to give you 500 lumens in a halogen, especially one that size.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You are completely right!
Duh - my mistake. 30 Watts is the ballpark for the 500Lu output lights.

[I'm editing my previous posts]

Sorry guys!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On that page it says that the SL35X is only 20 watts, not 30.
For example, the 20 watt lamp used in the SL-35X? is rated at 450 lumens or 35.8 Mean Spherical Candela.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ah.

I was under the impression that the N62 and SL35X bulbs were pretty much the same.
Perhaps it's down to how they are being driven?

Thanks

Al

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe 20 Watts is correct. I didn't mean to post 30 Watts.

The 10X list price is from the SureFire web site.

You are correct Al, like most things, you can most often find them for less then "listed" price!

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Osram's 64250HLX is RATED at 480 lm. It is a 100 hour life bilb. It is possible to get higher efficacy from halogen cycle lamps, but at the expance of shorter life. So if one applies 7.2 V to this blub (27W or so), output will be much higher ( about 1.9x - 900lm!) and the lamp will live a much shorter life (10 hours?).
Use of infra red reflecting film on the envelope to use the infra red rays to help heat the filament can inreaese efficacy to 30-35 lm/W easily (without decreasing life). Difficult to do in low wattage lamps though. Osram have got it down to 20W. But these are 4000 hour life lamps. A 35W IRC lamp puts out 900 lm.